Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

stove enamelling

Views : 1349

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 7th, 2012, 07:02   #1
Saintly

Default stove enamelling

ok ive got my wheels can anyone recommend anywhere in the south east/london area to get them stove enamelled?
26242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7th, 2012, 09:29   #2
tom-madbiker
Master Member

iwould not get them stove enamelled get them powder coated i had mine done for £30 each at aplace near bovingdon just off the a41
tom-madbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7th, 2012, 09:50   #3
222s
Amazoniste

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom-madbiker View Post
iwould not get them stove enamelled get them powder coated i had mine done for £30 each at aplace near bovingdon just off the a41
That is completely contrary to what I was advised (the place in question could do either). I have a set old steels that I have had powdercoated, and another that were stove enamelled & lacquered, and the finish on the later is much higher quality and proven itself to be far longer lasting. The powdercoated wheels are on a car that is barely used, whereas the stove enamelled ones are on my everyday car.

Paul - 1967 Amazon 222S B20 o/d Estate & 1961 A-H Sprite Mk2 948cc

WANTED - For '67 Amazon estate - offside rear quarter, preferably new old stock.

Last edited by 222s; Feb 7th, 2012 at 09:54.
222s is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 222s For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 7th, 2012, 10:04   #4
Saintly

im with 222s on this one, i had a set of wheels stoved 20 years ago and they still look great! powder coating will look good but can peel away and crack.
So for me stoving is still the best. the place i had them done before is now gone
26242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9th, 2012, 10:03   #5
Gordon Hunter
Ex 1800 Register Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 222s View Post
That is completely contrary to what I was advised (the place in question could do either). I have a set old steels that I have had powdercoated, and another that were stove enamelled & lacquered, and the finish on the later is much higher quality and proven itself to be far longer lasting. The powdercoated wheels are on a car that is barely used, whereas the stove enamelled ones are on my everyday car.
Bummer!

Just had the rims for the freeebie Amazon powder coated.
They have been lacquered as well by the same company.
Hopefully this will be adequate enough to last a few years.
Perhaps I'll stick another coat on there to guard against stone chipping...
Gordon Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10th, 2012, 00:36   #6
Volvo Canadian
Bury me in my Volvo

Hi - I looked-up stove enamelling 'cause I wasn't sure what it was. It is paint, which is specially hardened at 120 degrees (special paint?). Well, I stumbled across a site which seems to favour powder-coating. , stating it is more durable, if less able to acheive a glossy finish. That is what I would have thought, but basically only because I know of many people who have wanted to do it up right, and powder-coated.

So, what about that??

James
Volvo Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10th, 2012, 12:03   #7
Derek UK
VOC Member

Smile

Powder coat companies will argue that their finish is the best but there probably isn't much in it. Wheels have a pretty tough time so being able to touch up the odd scrape and chip is useful. Kerbs, tyre fitters, and popping off the hub caps or early type trim rings, especially, can take their toll. A clear top coat, if painted also makes things more difficult. Generally "our" wheel rims are getting a bit past it and most will have some rusting beteen the centre and the rim. This is very difficult to remove, even with a better than average blasting. Paint will tend to get into this join better than powdercoat I think. If your wheels are done at the local paint shop, a good coat of 2 pack primer put through the oven with the temp well up and followed by the colour of choice, should give a very durable finish.
Obviously the best time to do it is when fitting a set of new tyres. Get your tyre man to take off the old ones and give you back the rims. Spend a bit of time with a file (hammer!) making the edges as smooth as possible and if you can clean out the centre to rim join with an old wood chisel thats good too because the blaster won't do this. Check them over again after blasting and fix any remaining flaws before they go for painting.
The above also true if they go for powder coating. Make sure they do a primer coat first. If the price is cheap that might not be included and durability/finish will be compromised.
Quite a few years ago I had a set of Amazon wheels powder coated by a decidedly low tech company. I'm sure they weren't primed and the coating between the centre and rim was full of bubbles. I was told it was due to the rust. Fair enough. I soaked the joint inside and out with waxoyl, wiped of the outside after fitting and the wheels did last well, helped by the Volvo GT type full trims. I think I'll stick with ordinary paint. It maybe a bit softer than stoving or powdercoat but easy to get done anywhere.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10th, 2012, 21:04   #8
Volvo Canadian
Bury me in my Volvo

I was going to attach the link, but you may be right, meaning the ability to do fix-ups. Another plus I saw was the ability to match paint colours.

Yeah, what a pain - the rust issue. I sandblasted my set of spare rims (using the chrome wirewheels), then tried to get the rust out of the gap between the center section and the outer one. I even repeatedly treated it with Metal Ready (phosphate iron oxide conversion). They just sat beside the garage with a garbage can lid on top for the summer, and when I checked them 3 months later the rust was back. Pretty hard to see, but it is there.

So, powder coat may be more durable, but not bulletproof, and then it is impossible to fix?
Old Feb 11th, 2012, 16:33   #9
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

Guys;

If paint or PC is the better finish is arguable to no end...what is not is the preparation under each just as with bodywork...mediablasted is always the best as it completely removes old paint (which may not be holding on so good having been undermined by rust, or just have a poor adhesion with the primer)and it leaves a toothy surface ideally suited to holding on to the new coating...BUT, the blasting process also exposes new metal on the surface just looking to react, so it is important to neutralize the surface before applying the new coatings...a phosphate wash will do this...self-etching primer saves this step...there's many variables...all which need to be considered and addressed if you want a coating which will last...

Cheers from Connecticut!
Ron Kwas is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ron Kwas For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 11th, 2012, 18:39   #10
Volvo Canadian
Bury me in my Volvo

Self-Etching Primer: I believe that stuff will cause you to grow three heads, won't it??

I used it on the undercarriage of my car before coating with truck-bed liner, but used supplied-air, as no filters can get that stuff (zinc-chromate, I believe).

I'm so fed-up after my previous efforts, which were exhaustive (EXCEPT I think the shop was a little cold when I painted them). I'd like to hear from guys who have powder-coated their rims - I know it is cheaper than having them sprayed, and if you only want silver.... do they last? What-about on gravel roads? Right-now, living in NY I can get-along fine with just one set of rims (no snow-tires needed), but if I end-up using those spare rims, I'm not going to tolerate any rust.