Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > V40/XC '12>17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Technical details on new petrol engines?

Views : 662

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 29th, 2017, 08:41   #1
DocDAT

Default Technical details on new petrol engines?

Hi all,
We're taking delivery of the wife's new V40 T3 in a couple of weeks and I'm trying to prepare for various stuff. I'm used to doing most of the work myself on our cars, but can't seem to find any technical info on these engines. Like where the oil filter is located, can it be reached from the top, part numbers etc.
Also I can't seem to find any brand or model number on the turbo? I've found identical software upgrades for the 2.0 T2-T4 from swedish tuner BSR.
They can all be upgraded to 236 BHP, so I reckon they must use the same turbos and internals?

I want to do extra oil changes halfway between the official services, as 30k Kms is way too long on the same oil in my opinion. Sure it might be good enough for the warranty period +, but if we're keeping the car for as long as possible, I want to get the maximum life out of the engine. Also, is the consensus to just use the 0W-20 oil recommend by Volvo?
DocDAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29th, 2017, 09:20   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocDAT View Post
Hi all,
We're taking delivery of the wife's new V40 T3 in a couple of weeks and I'm trying to prepare for various stuff. I'm used to doing most of the work myself on our cars, but can't seem to find any technical info on these engines. Like where the oil filter is located, can it be reached from the top, part numbers etc.
Also I can't seem to find any brand or model number on the turbo? I've found identical software upgrades for the 2.0 T2-T4 from swedish tuner BSR.
They can all be upgraded to 236 BHP, so I reckon they must use the same turbos and internals?

I want to do extra oil changes halfway between the official services, as 30k Kms is way too long on the same oil in my opinion. Sure it might be good enough for the warranty period +, but if we're keeping the car for as long as possible, I want to get the maximum life out of the engine. Also, is the consensus to just use the 0W-20 oil recommend by Volvo?
The engine block is based on the old 4 cylinder T4 engine from the S/V40 , oil filter underneath on the corner of the sump , you will need the cupped tool .

Yes essential to use the 0w/20 oil in fact volvo have a unique specification for it VCC RBS0-2AE 0W-20.You will need 5.9 litres ( not 6 ) Also no problem whatsoever doing the 18000 miles between services , just wasting your money on expensive oil if you change it before . Some of these engines have done over 100,000 miles in service already now and the insides are as clean as the day they were new , This also goes for the other volvo engines which have been on 18000 mile intervals since 2005 and covered considerably more mileage of course . These engines have an electrically controlled oil pump which reduces flow when it is not needed , so all calibrated with this new Oil . and other oil will not give the same pressure / flow characteristics , volvo know best ..
Old Oct 29th, 2017, 10:25   #3
DocDAT

Thanks for the reply. I know that most car manufacturers have gone to extended oil intervals decades ago, but I also know it means the bearings on most petrol cars crap out at around 300k miles instead of being able to go 500k+ miles if it's a good engine. (And the turbos also last longer).
It helps though to have a larger capacity oil sump like these engines, instead of the more common 4-4.5 liters on 4 cylinder cars.

People have also been doing oil analysis on these engines, indicating that the oil was way past its optimum even just 3/4 of the way through the interval.

I fully realize this isn't relevant for most people, who sell their cars after 3-5 years. We typically keep ours for 10+ years 😉

Last edited by DocDAT; Oct 29th, 2017 at 10:32.
DocDAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29th, 2017, 14:10   #4
Rooster
Speed freak

Suppose first question would be do you actually do 30,000kms a year??

Not sure about the petrol engines apart from the T6 which is twin charged but the diesel uses differant injectors and turbo setups depending on engine, ie D2 has a single turbo setup and the D4 is a twin turbo setup
07 CB600 Hornet --- 2 wheel fun
Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29th, 2017, 14:12   #5
Acer
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocDAT View Post
Thanks for the reply. I know that most car manufacturers have gone to extended oil intervals decades ago, but I also know it means the bearings on most petrol cars crap out at around 300k miles instead of being able to go 500k+ miles if it's a good engine. (And the turbos also last longer).
It helps though to have a larger capacity oil sump like these engines, instead of the more common 4-4.5 liters on 4 cylinder cars.

People have also been doing oil analysis on these engines, indicating that the oil was way past its optimum even just 3/4 of the way through the interval.

I fully realize this isn't relevant for most people, who sell their cars after 3-5 years. We typically keep ours for 10+ years 😉
You will need to keep it ten years, because not having an official Volvo service history will definitely hit the value and saleability when you come to move it on. They can all be upgraded to 236 bhp? Even the 1.5 litre T3 that comes with the autobox?
Volvo V40 T4 Polestar Cross Country Lux Nav Auto | Volvo 19" alecto alloys | full leather | Volvo styling kit | Power seats | Xenium pack | Harman Kardon premium sound system | active bending headlights | Winter pack | Ice white

Last edited by Acer; Oct 29th, 2017 at 14:26.
Acer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7th, 2017, 14:55   #6
H20 VOLVO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acer View Post
You will need to keep it ten years, because not having an official Volvo service history will definitely hit the value and saleability when you come to move it on. They can all be upgraded to 236 bhp? Even the 1.5 litre T3 that comes with the autobox?

"I want to do extra oil changes halfway between the official services".

I think the OP is just doing a self-change inbetween services. Old school, but I see the reasoning behind it. And to be fair, if OEM parts and oil are used, there shouldn't be any issue. I used to do it on my older cars, and still do it on my classics. May as well whack in a new air filter too. Both easy to do to be fair - although I agree, not entirely required on modern cars.

The 1.5ltr I presume was only given a smaller capaicity due to torque or something on the Autobox or to keep MPG the same as the manual? Always thought this was strange. If chipped, yes, why wouldn't it do 236bhp? The PSA 1.6THP does 200bhp unmodified - and maybe more in the Mini Cooper Works package? Whether the auto box will take it, is another question though.
H20 VOLVO is offline   Reply With Quote