Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

key fob

Views : 440

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 10th, 2017, 18:14   #1
DavidLewis

Default key fob

When I bought my 99 V70 2.3 T5 it came with only one key fob. The dealer said key fob was not working due to dead battery. He replaced the battery - no joy. Said he would get me a new key fob. Never did despite being chased.

I have two key fobs from a 97 V70 2.5 SE, same shape fob. Looking at the forum there seems to be some suggestion that the two key fobs from the 97
V70 could be recoded. My local volvo independant garage thinks not.

Could there be a problem with the receiver for the key fob signal ? If so would there be an error message recorded on the ECU ?

Can the 97 V70 key fobs be recoded to the 99 T5 ? If so does anyone know someone in the Herts/Bucks area who could do it to save me having to buy 2 new key fobs ?

Thanks.
Old Nov 11th, 2017, 08:26   #2
Bigfella666
Premier Member

David

I do not know the technicalities but if you have the same style of fob from the 97 as the 1999 then yes they can be recoded.

I am on the same path as you but cannot provide an answer. When I took my P1 to Braydons in June the Volvo central computer said I needed a PIN not a downloaded code ( this us almost certainly wrong ) and so a response from Volvo in Sweden was required to sort the matter. I am still waiting for that response.

Lakes up at Wyboston told me this is nonsense and "their man " will chip and code a second key no problem. That was also in June and yep u guessed it I am still waiting !!!!!

Sorry to be of limited help but at least if you have 2 fobs in top notch condition you have saved yourself fifty quid or 200 plus if you were buying them new !
Bigfella666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11th, 2017, 08:37   #3
V70Zig
Master Member

Wink

Have a read here.....https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=273953

Might be worth a punt for your non working fob....

Passed away - 1999 V70 2.5tdi Auto 340632 miles, RIP.
V70Zig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18th, 2017, 13:05   #4
DavidLewis

Question Key fob repaired - still no joy

Sent the key fob away. Repaired and returned in new case. Still no remote locking. How do I check the remote receiver ? Some references say it is behind the glove box, some say above the driver`s footwell, some say above instrument cluster. How do I find out where it is and what it looks like.

Since buying the car I have found out it sat still for the best part of four years. Are there any batteries in the receiver that could need replacing ?

1999 V70 T5.

Many thanks for the feedback so far.
Old Nov 19th, 2017, 10:45   #5
V70Zig
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidLewis View Post
Sent the key fob away. Repaired and returned in new case. Still no remote locking. How do I check the remote receiver ? Some references say it is behind the glove box, some say above the driver`s footwell, some say above instrument cluster. How do I find out where it is and what it looks like.

Since buying the car I have found out it sat still for the best part of four years. Are there any batteries in the receiver that could need replacing ?

1999 V70 T5.

Many thanks for the feedback so far.
Well, I'd be looking at getting it hooked up to either Vida or Vol-fcr, not sure which one for yours. Perhaps there are some codes stored that might point to the problem. Hopefully someone local to you might be along soon and offer you a "free or beer read".......

Passed away - 1999 V70 2.5tdi Auto 340632 miles, RIP.
V70Zig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19th, 2017, 10:52   #6
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidLewis View Post
When I bought my 99 V70 2.3 T5 it came with only one key fob. The dealer said key fob was not working due to dead battery. He replaced the battery - no joy. Said he would get me a new key fob. Never did despite being chased.

I have two key fobs from a 97 V70 2.5 SE, same shape fob. Looking at the forum there seems to be some suggestion that the two key fobs from the 97
V70 could be recoded. My local volvo independant garage thinks not.

Could there be a problem with the receiver for the key fob signal ? If so would there be an error message recorded on the ECU ?

Can the 97 V70 key fobs be recoded to the 99 T5 ? If so does anyone know someone in the Herts/Bucks area who could do it to save me having to buy 2 new key fobs ?

Thanks.
If yours IS a 99 model a completely different network wiring system was used so not a lot was compatible with older models , 1999 had a blue volvo badge on the front grille .

a volvo dealer will have to code either type . s best just get them to supply and fit ..