Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

R design with tow bar

Views : 2894

Replies : 32

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 3rd, 2017, 09:38   #11
Director76
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chambersp View Post
Attachment 108366

Attachment 108367

Here are pictures of mine could one of you attach a picture of your cut I certainly wasn't advised beforehand and when I first saw it thought I'd run over something and taken a chunk out of the bumper!
That is horrific!! New bumper needed FOC there surely

I need to get on the phone to my dealer to understand how this works as I don't want to have that done.

Touareg factory towbar was exactly that - added during manufacture
Director76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3rd, 2017, 09:52   #12
nu11eaf
Premier Member

This is my XC90 Inscription cut out, first photo is the view standing behind the car, second photo is at lower close up with cut out, it really is not noticeable when standing behind the car.
20171103_094348.jpg
20171103_094343.jpg
nu11eaf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3rd, 2017, 10:10   #13
Director76
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nu11eaf View Post
This is my XC90 Inscription cut out, first photo is the view standing behind the car, second photo is at lower close up with cut out, it really is not noticeable when standing behind the car.
Attachment 108368
Attachment 108369
Definitely smaller but that still looks a bit ragged around the edge? (Or maybe it's the photo). Was that added at order time or via dealer accessory route?
Old Nov 3rd, 2017, 10:21   #14
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Director76 View Post
Definitely smaller but that still looks a bit ragged around the edge? (Or maybe it's the photo). Was that added at order time or via dealer accessory route?
It was ordered from new but I dont know if they are fitted in the factory or after delivery to dealer. I honestly never noticed the cut and until mentioned on another thread on here I did not even know it had a cut out until I went and looked at eye level.
The small ragged bits were very loosely attatched bits and rubbed off after I took the photo.
Old Nov 3rd, 2017, 10:29   #15
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Director76 View Post
It was ordered from new but I dont know if they are fitted in the factory or after delivery to dealer. I honestly never noticed the cut and until mentioned on another thread on here I did not even know it had a cut out until I wenr and looked at eye level.
The small ragged bits were very loosely attatched bits and rubbed off after I took the photo.
This is looking from a even lower angle, you will notice part of the underside of bumper has been removed which you can not see when viewed from above or at back of car, obviously this is to allow swinging towbar to clear it.
20171103_102727.jpg

Last edited by nu11eaf; Nov 3rd, 2017 at 10:36.
Old Nov 3rd, 2017, 10:39   #16
cassell
Member since 1988

As far as I know all towbars are fitted by the supplying dealer at PDI, not at the factory.

I have a V90 bought as an ex demonstrator and had my towbar fitted by my local dealer who made a lovely job, the cut-out is completely out of sight under the bumper. It does look as if the XC90 bumper valance is a bit too low and has been nibbled out to clear the neck of the coupling.

I'd certainly be going back to them for an investigation, particularly as some XC90's seem to have had a neater job made than the ones in the photos!

Just a thought, is the Inscription and R Design valance a bit lower than a Momentum, hence why some seem neater than others?
cassell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4th, 2017, 09:24   #17
Director76
Master Member

Volvo UK confirmed to me yesterday that ALL XC90 towbars are fitted during the PDI regardless of 'factory' order or accessory status.
The Following User Says Thank You to Director76 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 4th, 2017, 10:08   #18
Chief inspector
Master Member

They look a bit rough, surely a half round file after the cut would smooth that off and remove the loose bits of paint that are left after trimming the plastic.
Old Nov 4th, 2017, 10:16   #19
Neil S

Mine was a factory ordered tow bar and yes I was surprised that they appear employ a five year old with a blunt knife to cut out part of the bumper.

I think the tow bar was fitted by the dealer and required the removal of the bumper. The bumper was poorly refitted and they had damaged the reversing sensor wiring. I simply can't believe it left the factory like it.

Before accepting the car make sure you check the fitment of the tow bar and bumper and check all the sensors work.

As ever it's the dealers in the UK that destroy everyone's new car experience.
Neil S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4th, 2017, 16:43   #20
ukden

This may be of interest:

http://accessories.volvocars.com/en-...-485784-2/2016

Previously: MY2018 XC60 Momentum D4 Auto, Winter Pack, Volvo On Call, Rear camera, Electric deployable towbar, Tempa spare wheel.
ukden is offline   Reply With Quote