Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

R design with tow bar

Views : 2860

Replies : 32

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 4th, 2017, 18:15   #21
Director76
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukden View Post
Wow - that is quite major invasive works on a brand new motor!

Lots of potential for trim damage 😳
Director76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4th, 2017, 18:28   #22
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukden View Post
Interesting that it shows pin 9 as a permanent live (as it should be) but they (Volvo) do not wire it up, modern caravans have a stability control system and this connects to pin 9 when plugged in to activate but mine does not do this, when I went back to dealer they told me Volvo have told them not to fit this permanent live because of potential low battery issues.
The stability system does engage when engine turned on but it is supposed to activate when connected with engine off so you can watch it activate and go through check sequence and light changes to steady green when you plug towing electrics in.
The Alko trailer stability sytem instructions say it MUST be connected to pin 9 as a permanent live but Volvo will not do this.
nu11eaf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4th, 2017, 19:35   #23
cassell
Member since 1988

Quote:
Originally Posted by nu11eaf View Post
Interesting that it shows pin 9 as a permanent live (as it should be) but they (Volvo) do not wire it up, modern caravans have a stability control system and this connects to pin 9 when plugged in to activate but mine does not do this, when I went back to dealer they told me Volvo have told them not to fit this permanent live because of potential low battery issues.
The stability system does engage when engine turned on but it is supposed to activate when connected with engine off so you can watch it activate and go through check sequence and light changes to steady green when you plug towing electrics in.
The Alko trailer stability sytem instructions say it MUST be connected to pin 9 as a permanent live but Volvo will not do this.
That's odd, my V90 dealer-fitted (Holdcroft at Stoke) genuine Volvo retractable towbar was wired up completely correctly by them, pin 9 is permanent live, my caravan Alko system is powered at plug-in as it should be, and all is good.

I would have thought that XC90 wiring systems including the plug & play connector block for towing electrics will be the same across the SPA range, but I will check with Holdcroft's Service Manager as he attends our VOC local meetings and he has arranged a dealer workshop visit for our November 13th meeting.
cassell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4th, 2017, 21:30   #24
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassell View Post
That's odd, my V90 dealer-fitted (Holdcroft at Stoke) genuine Volvo retractable towbar was wired up completely correctly by them, pin 9 is permanent live, my caravan Alko system is powered at plug-in as it should be, and all is good.

I would have thought that XC90 wiring systems including the plug & play connector block for towing electrics will be the same across the SPA range, but I will check with Holdcroft's Service Manager as he attends our VOC local meetings and he has arranged a dealer workshop visit for our November 13th meeting.
Thank you, I will look forward to hearing what he says. My dealer said they checked with Volvo after I complained and they gave the answer I gave earlier. All my other MK 1 XC90's had live pin 9.
Old Nov 4th, 2017, 22:07   #25
Driver Dave

As casell, my dealer fitted my XC90 with the towball and full electrics including permanent live on pin 9. Maybe this was because I gave them a copy of the wiring of 13 pin wiring diagram as when they had fitted a towbar to my mk 1 XC90 they messed it up.

I have also had problems in the past with towing electrics fitted by car dealers so now make a point of giving them the specification I expect them to use.
Old Nov 5th, 2017, 10:07   #26
ukden

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassell View Post
Ditto my 2018 MY XC60.

It is a useful way of connecting a battery charger when parked on the driveway, direct plug in without having to open the bonnet.

Previously: MY2018 XC60 Momentum D4 Auto, Winter Pack, Volvo On Call, Rear camera, Electric deployable towbar, Tempa spare wheel.
ukden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5th, 2017, 10:24   #27
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver Dave View Post
As casell, my dealer fitted my XC90 with the towball and full electrics including permanent live on pin 9. Maybe this was because I gave them a copy of the wiring of 13 pin wiring diagram as when they had fitted a towbar to my mk 1 XC90 they messed it up.

I have also had problems in the past with towing electrics fitted by car dealers so now make a point of giving them the specification I expect them to use.
When I went back I gave them a copy of the Alko instructions with wiring diagram and dealer said he would check with Volvo tech dept and they told me tech dept had told them not to fit the live connection due to the low battery voltage issues they were having.
My son had the same issue with his new Discovery towing electrics but they connected pin 9 up when he took it back. But Volvo did not want to do it and said they could not reccommend it.
I will take this back up with my service manager.

Last edited by nu11eaf; Nov 5th, 2017 at 11:24.
Old Nov 7th, 2017, 00:52   #28
dd1898

I had one of my dealer service cars and also noticed the cut out which I was surprised about.

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showp...9&postcount=12
dd1898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9th, 2017, 15:44   #29
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver Dave View Post

Spoke to the dealer service manager today and he has arranged for me to go in on tuesday to have the fuses fitted to make pin 9 live.
Old Nov 14th, 2017, 14:43   #30
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Update: took car in today and it was a missing fuse, now fitted and pin 9 now permanent live, caravan traction control now connects up and goes through check sequence as it should without engine running.