Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2000 V70 2.5tdi d5252t cut out, won't restart

Views : 3222

Replies : 24

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 8th, 2017, 10:23   #11
NI_Volvo_Nut
Volvologist

Ok, despite what everyone says you can time these without the fancy equipment (at least well enough to get them to run)

There is a line on the flywheel which lines up to an arrow in the bellhousing, its at the bottom of the box towards the front of the car. When this is lined, that TDC.

Now go too your pump, you will find a mark on the pump which will line up to a mark on the housing. slacken the cam pulley enough to allow the pulley to turn independently from the engine, check the flywheel timing again.

Now bring the timing marks on the pump together, then turn the pulley anticlockwise 1 tooth. (Been a while since I done one, this could be clockwise!)

This should bring the timing near enough that it will start. If you can be accurate enough, this will have the timing damn near perfect.

Good luck!

What's the matter with the car I'm driving?
Can't you tell that it's out of style?
Should I get a set of white wall tires?
Are you gonna cruise the miracle mile?
NI_Volvo_Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NI_Volvo_Nut For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 8th, 2017, 13:22   #12
Volvo V70 diesel

Wow...

I hope he will be accurate, sincerely.

VV 70...

V 70 ESTATE TDI 1998 D5252T - Manual L.H.D.
(850 GLT ESTATE 2,5 L 20 V - Manual L.H.D.)
Volvo V70 diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8th, 2017, 15:43   #13
martin_r_smith
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shezza250 View Post
I'm not sure I totally understand the part about loosening the cam pulley. Any chance you could elaborate pls martin?
Cheers all
The cam pulley is on a tapered thread meaning the nut can be cracked loose and the pulley moved independently from the camshaft. Moving the pulley anticlockwise with advance the timing, clockwise will retard it.
Old Nov 8th, 2017, 16:29   #14
NI_Volvo_Nut
Volvologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volvo V70 diesel View Post
Wow...

I hope he will be accurate, sincerely.

VV 70...
I've done 3 like this in the past couple of years and I've always been near the tolerance

What's the matter with the car I'm driving?
Can't you tell that it's out of style?
Should I get a set of white wall tires?
Are you gonna cruise the miracle mile?
NI_Volvo_Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8th, 2017, 16:38   #15
petrohl34d

Yep, these engines/pumps can definitely be manually timed by hand like this.

It won't run at 100% efficiency, but it will start and run, and drive.

As has been mentioned already, you will then need to get the car dynamically timed by using VOL FCR, or Vida software.

petrohl34d is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to petrohl34d For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 8th, 2017, 18:42   #16
Martin Cox
VOC Member

I'd also agree that you are most likely 180 degrees out. it's easily done. Your method for determining TDC is correct but there's a 50/50 chance it's the correct TDC!

One way to identify when No 1 cylinder is at TDC at the top of the compression stroke is to look at the camshaft position. The cam lobes for no 1 cylinder should be facing up rather than down so both valves are closed.

Hopefully the photo will show what I mean. The pair of cams for No 1 cylinder are at the left hand side of the picture. The engine was virtually at TDC but not exactly when the picture was taken. It should give you an idea though.

Another way is to remove the pulley from the camshaft driving the the injector pump a and at the correct TDC the slot in the end of the camshaft should be parallel to the top of the cylinder head and above the centreline of the camshaft.

On my engine, this pulley does not have a tapered fit but is flat against the end of the camshaft. The pulley with the tapered fitting is at the other end of the shaft, i.e. the one driven by the timing belt and you don't need to touch that.

It's also worth trying to establish why the tensioner worked loose in the first place if possible.

Hope this is of some help

Martin

1998 V70 Tdi Auto 222722 miles
2008 V70 2.4D Auto 99455 miles
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TDC No 1.jpg (83.2 KB, 27 views)

Last edited by Martin Cox; Nov 8th, 2017 at 19:43. Reason: Additional information added
Martin Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Martin Cox For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 10th, 2017, 04:39   #17
PNuT
MaDMaN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Cox View Post

One way to identify when No 1 cylinder is at TDC at the top of the compression stroke is to look at the camshaft position. The cam lobes for no 1 cylinder should be facing up rather than down so both valves are closed.
It is better to just remove the pump timing pulley & look at the grove at the end of the cam shaft, if in the correct place it should line up so a too can be inserted like this

If the cam shaft is in the wrong place it is fairly obvious & you dont actually need the tool as the grove is offset quite a lot
Old Nov 13th, 2017, 15:15   #18
shezza250

Hi all

Thanks for your help with this. I lined the marks on the flywheel and pump up as advised with no luck so disconnected the pump belt with the pump locked in place using the special bolt. I then turned the flywheel another 360 degrees to get to TDC and reconnected the belt to the pump pulley. Released the locking bolt and still wouldn't start but sounded better and more like it wanted to start. I then locked the pump pulley again, disconnected the belt and released the locking bolt slowly & carefully so I could turn the pump pulley 1 tooth anti clockwise. Then retightened the locking bolt, connected belt and loosened locking bolt, putting the shim back. She now starts!
Thanks so much all
The economy is down a bit to 35mpg from 42 and the eml keeps coming on intermittently but other than that she's just done 500 miles this weekend without breaking down. Just need to get the pump timed properly now but will probably renew the belt before that. Does anyone know which belt it is or how long it should be new?

Cheers
shezza250 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to shezza250 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 13th, 2017, 18:07   #19
Volvo V70 diesel

Applause ! applause ! Shezza 125 X 2 !

Wonderful new !, once, time to time, is not too much !

Congratulations !

VV 70

V 70 ESTATE TDI 1998 D5252T - Manual L.H.D.
(850 GLT ESTATE 2,5 L 20 V - Manual L.H.D.)
Volvo V70 diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13th, 2017, 18:36   #20
Martin Cox
VOC Member

Congratulations on getting it going again. Well done!

Obviously it will need timing dynamically to get it running at it's best, but if you're going to replace the belt(s) soon, you may as well leave getting this done until after the belts have been sorted.

I recently replaced all the belts, tensioners and idlers after a cambelt disaster on my V70 Tdi and I opted to use genuine Volvo parts to do it.

Here are the part numbers and priced charged by my local dealer. Bear in mind these prices are ex VAT and before the Volvo Owners Club discount was applied. They are also about 6 months old now.

30758271 £74.00 Timing belt kit (Includes belt and tensioner)
9202398 £35.60 Injection pump belt
9207927 £55.00 Injection pump belt tensioner
9180594 £41.40 Injection pump belt idler roller

I dare say you can get alternatives more cheaply but given the work I had to do to get it going again it didn't seem worth skimping on these critical parts.

Hope this is of some help

Martin
Martin Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Martin Cox For This Useful Post: