Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

S60/V70/S80 - In it for the Long Run

Views : 2466

Replies : 23

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 18th, 2017, 18:11   #11
Simmy
Premier Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomoose View Post
Hi

So we all have different approaches to running cars, I'm just curious to see who is in it for the long run? I think I will carry on maintaining this car for many many years to come, even if it throws a £1500 bill I think I'd just have it fixed. I'm hoping that doesn't happen of course!

So who else has committed to keeping their car for the long haul? I'd be interested to hear anyones thoughts on car ownership and their plan for their Volvo. It might be fun to keep a bit of a list too!

1. Tomoose - 2004 V70 SE D5 E3 - In it for the long run!
I am in 850 t5 244 k v70 d5 210 k just keep driveing
Simmy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22nd, 2017, 18:55   #12
lindsayt

Had my 2003 D5 S60 manual for nearly 3 years now. Taken it from 109k miles to 180k miles in that time. The DMF is rattly and will need to be replaced when the clutch goes. Plus in the next year or so it'll need a belt change service.

I'll have a decision to make when faced with those bills on whether to stick or twist. Leaning more towards sticking at the moment.

I get about 50 mpg from it (brim to brim calculated). It's comfortable. Has been reliable. Not too bad on the acceleration and cornering. It doesn't feel tired. All controls and the suspension still feel fresh and crisp enough.

Can't think of any compelling reason to change. Apart from it going BER (Beyond Economical Repair).

It's supported by an XC90 that we use for family trips and big loads.

Previously I've owned S70 diesels that I took up to 275k before the engine went on one and the gearbox on another.
lindsayt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23rd, 2017, 07:42   #13
volvo2
Master Member

I think you might say I tend to be in it for the long run:

1. Volvo2 – 2002 V70 – owned it now for almost 16 years ~150k miles
2. Volvo2 – 1994 850 – owned it now for 22 years ~ 200K miles
3. Volvo2 – 1981 244 – owned it for 24 years 305k miles
volvo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25th, 2017, 20:39   #14
Minormatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leyburn View Post
Defender? Far too new and complicated You probably even have handles to wind the windows down, you might even have carpets!
Yes, it even switches off on the key too!
Minormatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28th, 2017, 17:36   #15
Gazdkw
Master Member

Iv only had my D5 for 2 weeks but I plan on keeping it till it dies like I do every car.

I always look after my cars. I’ll likely do OCI at 6 months.

I just need to do my research and compile a list of things i need to look at and check regularly.

Oh and a Haynes manual
Gazdkw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28th, 2017, 23:55   #16
oragex
Premier Member

What I like about these cars is that, with few exceptions, at the 100k miles mark they need a ton of attention: once all these items are replaced with quality parts, these cars easily go for another 100k miles without many problems. Suspension, fan blower, exhaust components, anti roll bar bushings, water ingress, a/c pulley, PCV, when these are done you are good for another 100k miles. So I've done all this and I feel it should go for a good monment without troubles. There are other annoying points such as the CEM or the slave cylinder on the manual transmissions but this is kind of car that usually won't let you down on the road.

Don't forget the diesel engines are very sensitives to the serpentine belt which usually fails after 100k due to a a/c pulley or something around. I've just read about too many of these D5 engines ruined this way.
Old Nov 29th, 2017, 10:10   #17
Brendan W
Premier Member

We're at 183k now. Had it since 38k. Original clutch, front struts, springs and battery. Lower arms rebushed once, new balljoints and tie rod inners. Still pulling like a train. Bit of trouble with the a/c clutch bearing and the drivers airbag contact reel. Never broke down, never refused to start and still returning 45mpg average on mixed driving.
Brendan W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29th, 2017, 10:39   #18
Gazdkw
Master Member

I’m quite worried about the serpetine belt issue. It’s the one thing that can cause catastrophic damage?

How do I go about checking this?
Old Nov 29th, 2017, 10:46   #19
Brendan W
Premier Member

Take it off and notice if a noise has gone away.
Check all the pulleys for smooth running.
The usual suspects are the tensioner and idler pulleys.
If the tensioner pulley is moving more than a mm at idle you may have a failing alternator freewheel clutch.
I replaced the belt and the tensioner/idler and alternator freewheel with the timing belt and will do the same next time.
Brendan W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29th, 2017, 10:52   #20
Gazdkw
Master Member

OK, so where is it found? I’m not familiar with this engine so could you point me in the right direction?