Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Are the handbrake shoe adjusters really worth?

Views : 2017

Replies : 30

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 18th, 2017, 21:02   #21
oragex
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgeandkira View Post
The tinny stuff on our cars looks like it was designed with nothing but cheapness in mind.

It is funny given the apparent quality of the rest of the car.

Good point about the contrast with the overall excellent quality of the car.. I guess in any team of designers there are always a few that don't match the rest of the team.

It's not just the handbrake that is questionable. The brakes on all 4 corners also have a poor design. The pads rub the metal of the caliper bracket when they press against the disc, and the metal on the caliper bracket wears and forms a groove preventing the pads from pressing with good pressure against the disc. New brackets will solve this, but japanese cars have stainless steel shims at this place. Also, the piston inside the caliper is very prone to rust at the bottom.
Old Nov 18th, 2017, 21:22   #22
Tomoose

Interesting thread, thanks everyone.

My recently acquired V70 has full Volvo history and new handbrake shoes last year. Its interesting to read that the 'lurch' is apparently quite normal. Its a bit unnerving at times but as it appears to be a feature rather than a fault I will sleep easier.
2004/54 V70 D5 SE in Ash Gold,
2006 V70 D5 185 Ruby Red.
Tomoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27th, 2017, 23:34   #23
oragex
Premier Member

I thought I would update this thread. After using the handbrake a few times while driving/parking, the time to adjust/properly seat the shoes to the drum surface, I can now say that I'm satisfied with the results and I certainly recommend this easy mod.

Before going to the results, I have to mention that the wear surface inside the rear drums is perfectly shiny and clear of any rust - this is important. I also adjusted the adjuster wheel with a flat screwdriver through a drum hole to the last click just enough to still be able to rotate the drum by hand - one more click at the adjuster and the drum wouldn't move any more.

I now park the car on a incline about 5% nose down, and pull the lever to the last click - takes some force for the last click - and the handbrake keeps the car from rolling without hesitation. I still think the handbrake design it's much weaker than on other cars, but like said, the adjusters clearly helped. Bonus: no more 'slipping/delay' before the handbrake 'kicks' in.

Small side note, don't pay for new adjusters. Little known perhaps, but all pre 2000 Volvo models had them. There is plenty of adjusters available at the breakers for a few coins.
Old Dec 28th, 2017, 10:08   #24
jasmith44
jasmith44

I had new discs and genuine Volvo shoes put on my S60 week before Xmas the handbrake is great with 3 clicks it stops the car when rolling up to the traffic lights.
Old Dec 28th, 2017, 11:54   #25
sreviz
Master Member

I fit mine aswell last year. Worth the penny.
My car holds on the hill now. Recommended.
Good thing is we can adjust the adjuster through lug nut hole.
Engine D4204T8.
sreviz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29th, 2017, 15:40   #26
Leyburn

Is there not a risk of the linings coming adrift if the h/brake is used when the car is rolling?
Leyburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29th, 2017, 16:29   #27
Dancake
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leyburn View Post
Is there not a risk of the linings coming adrift if the h/brake is used when the car is rolling?
Double post.

Last edited by Dancake; Dec 29th, 2017 at 18:16.
Dancake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29th, 2017, 16:31   #28
Dancake
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leyburn View Post
Perhaps. A couple of years ago I took a set of four genuine shoes off an S60 that had been on for around 3 years/40,000 miles. The owner wanted new ones fitted because of a strange noise that turned out to be a broken shoe arrestor stop (Skandix call them parking brake counter bearings). The original parking brake H-Bars were still fitted.

I tried absolutely everything to separate the shoe linings, including multiple hammers, a heat gun, oxy acetylene, a hacksaw, a reciprocating saw, a bench vice to crush the shoes, freezing followed by heavy impacts, soaking in WD40 etc. The only thing that was successful was the oxy acetylene, but there isn't much that oxy acetylene can't deal with. Not sure if aftermarket shoes would cope with the same level of abuse, but I was quite impressed with the shoes' ability to withstand the torture.
Dancake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29th, 2017, 16:55   #29
oragex
Premier Member

It is indeed possible that Volvo used improper glue on original shoes fitted on early production years (well, actually not just the early ones).

As above, there may be factors that would increase the risk of delamination, although using the handbrake while driving (for a short while because the shoes wear really fast) shouldn't cause a problem because the shoes slide on the drum just like a brake pads slide on a brake disc. From what I've seen, the biggest problem is rust inside the brake drum. Because the brake shoes are only used when the car is immobilized - thus normally no friction on the drum - the drum surface where the shoes come in contact will rust a lot. Once it's rusted, friction with the shoes is much increased plus the shoes have a tendency to stick to the rusted surface. If it sticks and the car is parked several days, no surprise the shoe make delaminate when the car starts moving (or at least those with a less strong glue on them).

Just another reason to pull a little the handbrake while driving slowly, once in a while, just for 1-2 seconds, to keep the inside of the drum clean and shiny.
Old Dec 29th, 2017, 21:12   #30
davebb
Premier Member

Hi my rear shoes on my s60 broke up on one side and locked up the wheel when I was driving ,I was just leaving work so only doing about 10-20mph
and they are Volvo ones, that was about 3years ago, so I fitted a new set,
I am going to replace again when I fit new hand brake cables when it is wormer outside,
Dave
davebb is offline   Reply With Quote