Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V50drive - Loss of Power

Views : 324

Replies : 2

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 9th, 2020, 12:25   #1
Holdie

Default V50drive - Loss of Power

Hi. Your knowledge and input would be very much appreciated before i head off to the local Volvo dealer!

2012 1.6 Diesel V50drive model. Approx 108k miles

Generally runs very well, but on several occasions recently when driving on slightly longer journeys where average speed is prpbably 50-60mph, there's been a sudden loss of engine power, and worryingly, no acceleration at all.

On a previous vehicle I had (Zafira 1.9D Sri) a similar thing used to happen - I believe it was called 'Limp Mode'. I eventually had to scrap that otherwise mint vehicle due to EGR/DPF rendering it useless and uneconomic to repair...

With the V50, the 'i' symbol comes up in the warning display with the message 'Reduced Engine Performance'.

However, in the Messages function, there are no error messages!

If I pull over and turn the engine off for a few mins, it'll re-start, and in some cases has allowed me to continue journey, although the last time it occurred, I had to do this 4 times over a relatively short distance to allow me to get home.

Any clues / diagnosis please?

Thanks for reading.
Holdie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2020, 12:00   #2
Holdie

Hi - quick update since my original post.

Took car into the local Volvo dealer in Norwich and they ran the fault reader diagnostics which indicated a fuel filter problem, and on their (Vida?) system it did actually show up the number of occasions this had occurred which matched with my experience of it.

Anyway, replacement fuel filter fitted and fault codes wiped. So, initially at least, this may have dealt with the issue, but advised if it recurs it could be an injector or fuel pump problem, but neither of these came up on the fault code findings yesterday.

Just posting this one as a possible clue/help to anyone else who might experience the same issue
Holdie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2020, 12:43   #3
dudes45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdie View Post
Hi - quick update since my original post.

Took car into the local Volvo dealer in Norwich and they ran the fault reader diagnostics which indicated a fuel filter problem, and on their (Vida?) system it did actually show up the number of occasions this had occurred which matched with my experience of it.

Anyway, replacement fuel filter fitted and fault codes wiped. So, initially at least, this may have dealt with the issue, but advised if it recurs it could be an injector or fuel pump problem, but neither of these came up on the fault code findings yesterday.

Just posting this one as a possible clue/help to anyone else who might experience the same issue
Nice, hope that solves your issue! Thanks for updating
dudes45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
loss of engine power, v50 1.6 drive