Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General > PV, 120, 1800 Wants
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

After an Amazon

Views : 2015

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 4th, 2009, 11:38   #11
Alf ista
Premier Member

I see in the current (June) edition of Practical Classics on page 129 there is a 2 door Amazon for sale. The ad is for a company called "Bob's Affordable Classics". He always has a lot of stuff in every month. This ad dosent give the year but it looks like a late model and it has twin carbs. It has a blue body with a light coloured roof. It says it has some history, new mot, full sunshine roof and is of course in lovely condition, but he would say that wouldnt he... Price is £2950. He dosent appear to have a website but gives phone numbers: 07719995514 (M) and 01564779746 (H). Address is Near Junction 5, M42. Oh, and he also has 2 rusty estates that need re-building for £999 for the pair.
Good hunting, Hugh.
Old Jun 8th, 2009, 18:30   #12
dgbalfour
VOC Member

Thanks Hugh, I'll check that one out if I can get over there.

I added a nice 1965 121 to the list of cars I've seen today. It's the blue one currently on eBay and I'm in two minds as to whether or not I bid, and if so, how much.

It's generally sound on top, although the underbody has suffered a bit from corrosion, but the paintwork is in a good state. The underseal has been very thickly applied - was this something Volvo tended to do at the factory? It's beginning to bulge and crack, can't decide whether this a sign of water underneath or just of old age and therefore nothing to worry about.

The oil, water and brake fluid will obviously all need changing as it's been standing for ten years. Forgot to look at the brake flexi's, but I don't know if I'd trust them? Likewise tyres of that age may not last long...

Plus the chrome has come off one of the bumpers in places, and I bet that's expensive!

David
dgbalfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8th, 2009, 20:01   #13
Alf ista
Premier Member

Yup, replacing the chrome can be expensive.... But with patience stuff comes up on ebay. I got a perfect front corner portion bumper for my car for 40 quid. Only problem is, its too perfect, now it shows up the rest of my chrome....
I wouldnt trust any old tyres that have been sitting for years. At the least they will have a flat spot, at the worst one of them will blow as you are going down the motorway, with predictable results!! Your only contact with the road is four small patches of rubber, dont scrimp here. Anyway 165 15's are relatively cheap.
Best of luck with the search. Keep at it, persaverance will pay off in the end.
Hugh
Old Jun 15th, 2009, 00:49   #14
MMC
Somewhat corroded member

Hi David

Still searching - but nothing just yet. Mind you - just had this little beauty back from the restorers:

So at least I have something to play with! It'll eventually go to fund the Amo - assuming I can ever find one!!

Cheers

Mark
MMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7th, 2009, 19:24   #15
dgbalfour
VOC Member

Default Still looking...

That Golf looks smashing, I don't even have anything to play with at the moment! I'm so desperate for some old fashioned fun I've been repairing rust on a Ford KA this weekend. Hard times.

I'll go and have a look at the 131 on eBay in Wolverhampton this week if I get a chance, but I think it'll exceed my budget. I haven't seen that many for sale recently.

There's also this beauty in Chile if anybody's got a spare £20k! It has a bench front seat...
http://www.carandclassic.com/car/C101277/

David
dgbalfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7th, 2009, 20:23   #16
MMC
Somewhat corroded member

Hi David

Tim, the chap selling the Amo in W'hampton seems like a splendid chap - very friendly and helpful on the phone. Think a lot of work was done to it by Charlie from Oxford as well, so should be pretty sound.

I'd be keen, but, as you say, it's probably going to fetch serious money.
MMC is offline   Reply With Quote