Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

'99 V40 not starting

Views : 786

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 28th, 2006, 13:47   #1
paul g

Question '99 V40 not starting

Please help. Yesterday I went to a DIY shop and came home. Not a problem. Today I went out to start the car. Nothing. I turned the key all the way ..not even a click. The internal lights are working. The headlamps will come on as will the hazards. The radio will not come on nor will the heated seats (just testing these to see what would work). Tried jumping the battery secretly knowing this was not the problem.

Could this be an immobiliser issue? has anyone come across this before?
paul g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2006, 01:22   #2
peteS40

So I presume that none of the ignition lights come on when you turn the key?

Also you said the radio does not work. This is useful information because that works when you turn the ignition key to the first position.

If nothing works like this it is quite possible that the fuse to the ignition key has blown (although dunno why).

Check the fuses under the bonnet. Fuse number 14 is a biggie, 40A fuse, check this one, it supplies ingition and accessories fuses.

If this ok then possibly the ignition key mechanism is at fault.

Fusebox under bonnet is on the left hand (passenger) side of the car kind of next to the suspension strut upper mount for the nearside wheel. Plastic clip holds the lid on.

Cheers,
Pete
Old May 29th, 2006, 19:37   #3
paul g

Thumbs down Fuses and V40 not starting

With grateful thanks.
Upon reading, I dived under the bonnet and discovered the array - alas, all fuses appear intact...

You are right the ignition lights do not light up. It just sounds potentially so expensive (however, just spent stacks on 80K cambelt and bushes for MoT). Hopefully it might be something simple like the immobiliser.

I can hope.

Again thanks for the reponse

P
Old May 29th, 2006, 22:48   #4
peteS40

Hi Paul,

I think the problem could therefore be with the ignition switch. With a volt meter, check for 12V supply at the various fuses going into the switch (the 40A one mentioned above) and also those coming out of the switch which should get supply in the different switch positions.

I sent you a PM with more details on all of this.

Cheers,
Pete
Old May 29th, 2006, 23:35   #5
the great one

i think your find the white wire on the wiring loom that goes under the rad is broken which powers up when ignition key is turned
Old May 30th, 2006, 01:26   #6
peteS40

Is there a wire on these cars that DOESN'T go in wiring loom under the radiator?!

Did volvo change the routing for these leads at some point, or do dealers enjoy remaking electrical connections for their customers all the time?....
Old May 31st, 2006, 10:50   #7
paul g

Smile Not Working - PXing

Thanks folks.

This car is now being px'd for a v50. Decided having spent over a 1k last year getting this and that done time to change.

Your help gratefully received and hope to pop in soon for more advice.

Paul
Old May 31st, 2006, 11:01   #8
GorgeousGeorge
Bostin !!!

paul

and the problem was ???

come on enlighten me..

oh and what V50 outta interest, i seem to see mostly 2.0D around.

scott
GorgeousGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2006, 11:46   #9
peteS40

Yes - please tell how it was fixed. I presume you had to get it running to drive it to the dealer for part exchange?!
Old Jun 2nd, 2006, 18:00   #10
paul g

Smile Fixed

Well folks.....
under the rad there is a white wire within which is a thick core of copper.

Mine had gone a lovely green where the water had seeped in...Fix the cable problem solved. Difficult to get out as had to have radiator out to do so.

Then since problem solved at minimal cost and (pete) not being in enough funds to get the Volvo D5 geartronic, and not fancying the 2.0D (although my wifes S40 is very, very quick (cruised back from Disneyland Paris at 100 last year. Left a chum in his vauxhall zafira 1.8 petrol at the entry slip to the A road with a puff of black smoke), decided to KEEP broken V40 (now mended) and wait and see what the price of a geartronic is next spring.

In all seriousness I was genuinelly grateful to those who helped and it made finding the fault that much easier. When I went to Volvo (Lookers Chelmsford very very helpful) looking for the new car, I told them what the problem was and they said they had come across this on a number of ocassions with the s/v40 '98/99. So for those who need to know this is a good startpoint.

Speak again

Paul