Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

From XC60 to Porsche Macan or BMW X3?

Views : 161073

Replies : 1567

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 17th, 2016, 17:55   #141
XCeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigelDay View Post
It would be nice to see discounts 'abolished'.
What manufacturer would sell a car at £44k list in the knowledge that EVERY dealer is going to offer at least 10% discount bringing the price down below the £40k threshold ?
My purchase also involved the £750 cashback from the Santander finance. All these discounts and deals are going to seriously complicate the situation.
As I understand it, the law defines the price as the car’s list price, so any discount you are able to negotiate won’t affect the car’s VED band. The list price is the price of the car before the ‘on-the-road’ charges are added, such as a delivery charge, new vehicle registration fee, numberplates and fuel.
Correct me if I'm wrong...
Old Feb 17th, 2016, 18:15   #142
NigelDay
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCeed View Post
As I understand it, the law defines the price as the car’s list price, so any discount you are able to negotiate won’t affect the car’s VED band. The list price is the price of the car before the ‘on-the-road’ charges are added, such as a delivery charge, new vehicle registration fee, numberplates and fuel.
Correct me if I'm wrong...
Yes, that's my understanding. It is similar to the P11D value, but (as a private buyer) I have never bothered with this. Others may know better.
2015: XC60 D4 FWD SE Lux Nav 190hp manual, Osmium Grey, 17" Segin, Tempa, Winter Illumination, Security, Family, DSP, 4C, HK Sound, Subwoofer, Front Parking, Rear Camera, Dark Tinted, Power Passenger Seat, Speed and Heated Steering.
NigelDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17th, 2016, 18:39   #143
Ninja59
Probably Akita's Toyboy..

Both completely correct it will be list plus options and is going to have probably quite an impact on choice no doubt manufacturers will cater like they do with specific variants.

You would be an idiot not to buy the car i have done after the new rules come in...£450 per year from 1st april 2017...£180 currently.

Still mad though that some very efficient cars will get hammered purely because of their list price.
Ninja59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17th, 2016, 18:47   #144
volvorocks
Rodney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja59 View Post
To be fair it is not "just" Volvo at it as this thread has proven BMW do exactly the same as our OP got quoted 10% off with little effort, I know for a fact 15-20% was achievable of list for the 640 I collect on Sunday (and yes the list is bloody scary on that!).
I don't know that much about the ins and outs of BMW, but have just had a quick look on the site out of interest. The 640 is available with a deposit needed of just £755 and £755 a month with £10k off all on 0% finance. The 5 doesn't appear to be available on 0%, so why is the 6, as I see the 6 as a more desirable?

Why are BMW offering 0%, and why did you go secondhand with a straight up deal like on their site offered, which could probably be 'much bettered' after some serious haggling?

Regards
volvorocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17th, 2016, 20:19   #145
XCeed

The next generation XC60 looks likely to drop right into this pricing fiasco. Given that the current basic list for the AWD SE Lux is £37,490, we can assume that the new one will be around that price or a tad more. Add a couple of optional packs and the price will soon top £40k.
I guess all the carmakers will have to address this issue - might even lead to prices in this sector being held down! Not holding my breath...
Old Feb 17th, 2016, 20:27   #146
NigelDay
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCeed View Post
The next generation XC60 looks likely to drop right into this pricing fiasco. Given that the current basic list for the AWD SE Lux is £37,490, we can assume that the new one will be around that price or a tad more. Add a couple of optional packs and the price will soon top £40k.
I guess all the carmakers will have to address this issue - might even lead to prices in this sector being held down! Not holding my breath...
The bottom line for me (and probably a few others) is that I would be delighted to 'spend' £1500 on DSP, but NOT to throw away an equivalent amount into the taxman's coffers.
If the manufacturers (Volvo and others) don't think creatively, there is going to be a lot of frustration for both customers and dealers.
2015: XC60 D4 FWD SE Lux Nav 190hp manual, Osmium Grey, 17" Segin, Tempa, Winter Illumination, Security, Family, DSP, 4C, HK Sound, Subwoofer, Front Parking, Rear Camera, Dark Tinted, Power Passenger Seat, Speed and Heated Steering.
Old Feb 18th, 2016, 06:30   #147
Ninja59
Probably Akita's Toyboy..

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvorocks View Post
I don't know that much about the ins and outs of BMW, but have just had a quick look on the site out of interest. The 640 is available with a deposit needed of just £755 and £755 a month with £10k off all on 0% finance. The 5 doesn't appear to be available on 0%, so why is the 6, as I see the 6 as a more desirable?

Why are BMW offering 0%, and why did you go secondhand with a straight up deal like on their site offered, which could probably be 'much bettered' after some serious haggling?

Regards
Because I do not want to be on lease most of all, and that figure is based on 10K per annum which I will surpass quite easily - if you change the figure to nearer 20k per year to play safe you are looking at nearly £900 per month based on that deposit.

The 5 rarely is and you are correct, but to move more 6 "metal" of car which is somewhat up front costs "more", then they are known to stick some offers on lease that are more attractive alongside the 0%.

Finally these lease deals are not as good on the 6 now, £755 is more than £200 more than you could blag one as a starting point a few years ago with 0%. The more you haggle to lower the monthly premium though the less likely you are to get 0% from BMW FS.

As an aside point ignoring the MX5 for a moment we have plans once my OH has passed to have a third car now that will be on lease definitely - but at least we will have one (practical) car which is completely paid off - and as of Tuesday payment left my account for pickup on Sunday .

VR your point is completely valid by the way in relation to the lease of it as if you are using finance it does work out a better deal as BMW AUC (BMW's version of Volvo Selekt) the most common rate is 9%-11%.

Last edited by Ninja59; Feb 18th, 2016 at 06:52.
Ninja59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21st, 2016, 23:28   #148
Crockers
Premier Member

Coming back to Adrianne's dilemma (and we're not talking WBA FA cup result) has anyone thought of a ......................FORD?

The new Ford Edge looks nice...not yet launched but can be had on DTD with a 10% discount. Factor in 0.9% interest or even 0% on a 50/50 deal...

I priced a Titanium 200bph auto with all the options ticked at £36k. You name it this has it...

Are Fords that bad?? Or is this a badge thing??
Old Feb 22nd, 2016, 01:38   #149
NigelDay
Premier Member

The dashboard in the Kuga is awful. If the Edge is from the same designer, it would be a deeply unpleasant view.
Old Feb 22nd, 2016, 08:26   #150
Crockers
Premier Member

I don't think it is.the same..

Tags
bmw x3, porsche macan