Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

From XC60 to Porsche Macan or BMW X3?

Views : 161117

Replies : 1567

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 8th, 2016, 16:55   #81
marchesman

Yes, thank you, and it was a very effective way of getting Mr Toad out of the system but therein lies a problem with the Macan. Every time it went into a Porsche dealership you would not only be assaulted by Porsche hourly rates you would be surrounded by the temptations of more potent machinery. Poop. Poop.
marchesman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to marchesman For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 8th, 2016, 18:01   #82
Arianne
Premier Member

The problem with the GLC is that they don't do a performance Diesel engine, unless I am mistaken, none of us like the iPad stuck onto the dash - not even the MB sales guy that plays 5aside footie with me on Friday night likes those display screens. Overall, zero impact on my heart rate but thank you for the suggestion.

Just to be clear about our current XC60 VEA D4. There's a lot we like about it. Yesterday morning we drove through the Scottish Borders on the A72 in the rain (it nearly always rains here!).

I enjoyed the drive because the R-design suspension is good enough for the twisty roads, the SUV design is great in adverse weather and the engine is decent (still no turtle). It's a comfortable way to travel and the car can put a smile on your face. To that extent none of us have any difficulty enjoying the next 12mths(ish) with our current car.

But life ticks by and I have always enjoyed driving and cars since my very first Vauxhall Viva (you need to really, truly enjoy cars and driving to say that about a ten year old, rust ridden 1971 Viva 1.3). Mrs A happens to be a good match for this marriage in that department and that DNA is evident in the lad too.

I have never bought the same car twice. The prospect of a fully loaded D5 AWD Polestar XC60 would, ordinarilly, not be a bad one. It's a lovely car but I like to switch model and the XC60 is coming towards the end of the model lifecycle.

And finally, thank you all - I am currently on East Coast travelling down to KingsX from Edinburgh and I appreciate the relief from the boredom that this forum has provided. A real service to humanity! But now I need to read some working papers for tomorrow's meeting - yawn!

Arianne

PS. Newcastle's St James' Park - totally agree, fabulous. What an atmosphere and today my colleague told me why the home crowd applaud at every home match at 17 minutes. Let's hope both Newcastle and WBA stay up so I can go next year.
Old Feb 8th, 2016, 20:27   #83
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMcL View Post
You may have only been able to buy it for 8 years the car has certainly been around a lot longer than that. The type approval date for my S60 is week 46 of 2007 yet the car did not go on sale until Q3/4 2010.

What is the type approval date on the V5C for the XC60 ?

I was not suggesting the Q30 was a direct competitor to the XC60 rather making the point of the confidence the manufacturer has in the product.

Any journalist would give the Model T a 5 star rating if you paid them enough.
The type approval date for all post 2007 cars is Directive 2007/46/EC. That's not the date it met the Directive, but the date the Directive was issued. There will be a new Vehicle Type Approval Directive later this year and then all cars will have a Directive 2016 type approval. Even if we leave the EU cars made here will still have to meet the type approval to be exported.

Do you think Volvo has less confidence in it's products than Nissan? They've always made far better cars than Nissan in my opinion.
Old Feb 8th, 2016, 20:42   #84
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8ig steve View Post
The Mercedes GLC isn't being mentioned much in this thread, am I missing something?

It looks like a strong competitor to the XC60 to me. Size, price, technology, performance, economy (CO2 at 129), even an AMG line model for those that want M Sport like bone shakers.
The interior of the GLC is just awful. I couldn't live with it myself.

Arianne has posed a difficult question and I keep wondering what I would get as an alternative to my XC60.

I'm tempted by the Polestar V60, but the ground clearance! The new XC90, overkill for me nowadays. 15 years ago a car that size would have been a no brainer, I'd be falling over myself in the rush to get to the dealer, but I no longer need a car that size.

Maybe a change of fuel type in a few years? Fuel Cell?

At the moment the XC60 fits the bill so perfectly it seems crazy to contemplate changing it, especially as I just love driving the thing. (I'd miss the forum as well)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RoyMacDonald For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 8th, 2016, 20:53   #85
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

It has been interesting seeing the discussions on the merits and demerits of the XC60 competition as I had the same dilemma just over 2 years ago, th exception being that my wife didn't want me to change the car full stop.

I also looked around at several of the cars mentioned throughout this thread or their 2014 alternatives and included a couple of others such as the Lexus, Kia and even Landrover yet I ended up with another XC60 because I couldn't find something that offered me everything in the one package - though I have to say that the upgraded integrated Sensus Connect has left me bitterly disappointed ( as has already been said, try before you buy).

The dealer gave me a superb trade in value and a healthy discount, plus added goodies and therefore I replaced like with like.

I don't envy Arianne's choice - it wasn't easy hen I did it and it isn't any easier now. All I know is that I am happy I stuck with the XC60 and I cannot currently see any reason to leave the fold.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wimorrison For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 8th, 2016, 21:22   #86
Arianne
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyMacDonald View Post

At the moment the XC60 fits the bill so perfectly it seems crazy to contemplate changing it, especially as I just love driving the thing. (I'd miss the forum as well)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wimorrison View Post
......... and I cannot currently see any reason to leave the fold.
If you bought a car on the strength of the owners' online forum then I can hand on heart say that the XC60 would win. Followed by my earlier experience of the XC90 forum members. Have you seen how awful the X4 forum is, there are a few but they don't come close to this one.

In all fairness, the dilemma of a replacement for our XC60 is a happy distraction from the bigger challenges in life. I almost feel guilty posing the question in the first place since 99% of my fellow inhabitants on Planet Earth would dearly like to have the choice us lot have on this forum - if you're fortunate enough to own any XC60 then life probably is being kind to us right now.

Anyway, I am still on East Coast. Being the boy from oop north I think I will catch a taxi from KingsX rather than tube at this time of night. Unless any of you are close by in which you could try your hand at a bit of uber driving with your Volvo?

Best wishes.

Arianne

Last edited by Arianne; Feb 8th, 2016 at 21:29.
Arianne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Arianne For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 8th, 2016, 21:34   #87
Arianne
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arianne View Post
Anyway, I am still on East Coast. Being the boy from oop north I think I will catch a taxi from KingsX rather than tube at this time of night. Unless any of you are close by in which you could try your hand at a bit of uber driving with your Volvo?

Best wishes.

Arianne
Thought not. Good forum but not that good

It'll be the taxi then!

Goodnight folks. Thanks for the banter.

Arianne
Old Feb 8th, 2016, 21:51   #88
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arianne View Post
Thought not. Good forum but not that good

It'll be the taxi then!

Goodnight folks. Thanks for the banter.

Arianne
Sorry Arianne, hour and half drive, figured you be wherever you were going by the time I got there.
Old Feb 9th, 2016, 07:23   #89
Arianne
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyMacDonald View Post
Sorry Arianne, hour and half drive, figured you be wherever you were going by the time I got there.
90 minutes despite your D5 having Polestar? No worries, it's the thought that counts....

Taxi was one of those big Mercedes Benz Vito. Nobody has mentioned this as a possible replacement. At just over £40k I think we'll add it to the basket of cars we've been discussing on this thread.

https://www.sbcommercials.co.uk/mercedes-vans/vito/taxi

Handling and performance were not up to much but interior space was good and it's a cash generator if the family take turns on the shift in the evenings and weekends - virtually pays for itself!

Have a good day folks.

Arianne
Old Feb 9th, 2016, 08:47   #90
Gilesme

I had a meeting in Munich recently - one of these in black with black windows was my return taxi.

i asked my host why he had booked me a hearse...

A little bit bigger on the inside than an X4.
Gilesme is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bmw x3, porsche macan