Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Ongoing no start 940 and other woes!

Views : 4676

Replies : 120

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 29th, 2021, 08:45   #81
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vickyg View Post
It was advice I found on this forum to pull fuse 1 as a reset

I have some hydro, mechanic I have helping says no way to the meths. He wants good pure super running in it's veins now and nothing more. The fut isn't good, if you take your foot off the idle drops to 500 or worse and it struggles and dies. It does need a new exhaust but isn't blowing that we can find.
Maybe you did and it's advice i've given many times but also stressed with the ignition OFF!!!

Would this be the same mechanic as insisted the reason for the rough running is down to the cold start injector that only operates with the starter motor for a maximum of 8 seconds?

Put the meths in, if there is any water left in the fuel system it will find it. There's a surprising amount of fuel held in the plumbing and if it's not removed it will sit in the bottom of the tank for months until after coughing and spluttering through several thousand miles it eventually clears.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29th, 2021, 09:01   #82
vickyg

Not me (or him!) I've never mentioned cold start injectors on this forum. He's an excellent engineer, a good friend stepping in to help. I'd employ him for a week if I could lol. We did a pretty good job "hoovering" the bottom of the tank with a a vacuum pumped siphon, new filter, ran through clean fuel and a new regulator. He had the injector rail off, the lot. I know there's still moisture risk but I can't give it a good run without an MOT. That's my goal, get a ticket and put a few hundred miles on it. Then I'm getting a stainless exhaust and a few other improvements.

EDIT: Dave think you've confused with other recent post re. a 740

Last edited by vickyg; Aug 29th, 2021 at 09:08.
vickyg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to vickyg For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 29th, 2021, 09:25   #83
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Not me (or him!) I've never mentioned cold start injectors on this forum. He's an excellent engineer, a good friend stepping in to help. I'd employ him for a week if I could lol. We did a pretty good job "hoovering" the bottom of the tank with a a vacuum pumped siphon, new filter, ran through clean fuel and a new regulator. He had the injector rail off, the lot. I know there's still moisture risk but I can't give it a good run without an MOT. That's my goal, get a ticket and put a few hundred miles on it. Then I'm getting a stainless exhaust and a few other improvements.

EDIT: Dave think you've confused with other recent post re. a 740
Yes, sorry, i did mix the two threads up! That said the meths is still worth a try, it may be your mechanic hasn't heard of it, i was told about it 30+ years ago by someone who was retiring from the motor trade who had been using it all of his working life so it's a very old trick (70-80 years at least) and well worth knowing.

Thing is, you're caught in a catch-22 situation. You won't get an MoT on it if it's running like a bag of spanners so can't drive it to help clear any remaining contaminants from the fuel. Even then it would take some time because of the recirculatory nature of the fuel system and water being heavier than petrol will always settle at the bottom of the tank where the pump is.
I've used meths many times on not only both the beasts i have now but many others i've owned over the years. I've also used many other tricks that aren't taught but work very well. If it is water in the fuel system then the meths will clear it relatively quickly as long as you don't get more water in there.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Sep 4th, 2021, 10:51   #84
vickyg

Running well, nearly there but no. The alternator belt just started shrieking at me and no one has the size locally so will have to wait. It's not just a little bit loud either...most people seem to settle for fitting 10mm width presumably in desperation when they can't get the right 11.9 one - which I can get locally but only in the wrong length, I don't have aircon! Car is trying my patience lol
The Following User Says Thank You to vickyg For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 4th, 2021, 11:10   #85
360beast
Go redblock or go home

The belt is about £20 from the dealership and will last four times longer than aftermarket belts.

I haven't got the part number to hand but if you phone up FRF and quote code C for owners club discount and give them your reg number they will be able to find it.
360beast is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 4th, 2021, 11:29   #86
vickyg

Volvo part 980224 - probably going to get one from Trusted (ex-Braydon) as giving up at this point lol
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vickyg For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 4th, 2021, 12:18   #87
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Quote:
Volvo part 980224 - probably going to get one from Trusted (ex-Braydon) as giving up at this point lol
You're nearly there and have done some great work to get it running again, most people would have given up by now!
360beast is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 4th, 2021, 13:33   #88
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360beast View Post
You're nearly there and have done some great work to get it running again, most people would have given up by now!
I've found there are two types of owners with cars like this Luke - those who give up fairly easily and the others for them it becomes personal and they go at it with dogged determination.

They usually win in the end!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 4th, 2021, 14:05   #89
vickyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360beast View Post
I may well have quit if it developed all these problems, but because it was due the rain I felt I had to try....and then you've invested so much (mostly time) you just have to keep going
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to vickyg For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 4th, 2021, 14:20   #90
kiloran

Quote:
I may well have quit if it developed all these problems, but because it was due the rain I felt I had to try....and then you've invested so much (mostly time) you just have to keep going
This is why I'm (well, Luke actually) is fixing mine - I feel responsible. Plus my 12yo keeps badgering me not to sell it because it's the coolest car in the school car park (I happen to disagree on that, someone has a mid-70s 350SL which he uses as a daily driver)