Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V70 Driver's door electrics

Views : 574

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 17th, 2022, 14:26   #1
BillQQ

Default V70 Driver's door electrics

Afternoon

The driver's door electrics died last week on my 2000 p2 V70 TDI and I've been struggling to work out what is wrong.

Symptoms:
  • The whole switch module is dead (no lights and buttons don't do anything)
  • The door open sensor does work still, if I keep the door module plugged in
  • No warning lights (unless I remove the module, when I get a door open message)
  • Central locking on the driver's side doors not working (but passenger side is okay)
  • The temperature readout on the dash is showing "--", though it usually reads incorrectly anyway!

What I've looked at so far
Having scoured the forums and found some similar issues, I've tried the following:
  • Checked relevant fuse in the dashboard panel next to the door hinge: Okay
  • Removed door and checked the wiring going into the door connector: Okay as far as I can see whilst pushing the rubber sleeve back. Wire shroud appears to be in good condition.
  • Re-seated electrical connector to the door and also the plugs inside the door
  • Checked voltage across some of the wires in the door connector: I don't know what wires should be live, but I recorded ~12V across two of the thicker gauge wires, which makes me think that it is getting power. Given that I wasn't sure what I was looking for, this conclusion may be inaccurate!
  • Looked inside the door module to see if there is any obvious sign of problems e.g. blown capacitors: Nothing obvious
  • Tried replacing the door module with a scrap one: I gave all of the details of the old one and was assured that it was the same part, off the same vehicle but that doesn't work either. Forum posts suggest that if you have the wrong part number then it will not be correctly coded to the ECU and will not function and I'm sceptical about it being a correct match. The door open sensor works with the replacement module, but that's it.
  • Tried the reset function suggests in another post, but given that it includes the window switches being held, I don't think that it worked.

So... Any other suggestions for things to try??

Also, when looking for a replacement DDM, which of the numbers do I need to match? The sticker on it has the following numbers:

9452959 [The part number?]
00W19E [The revision??]
MOD19A0-0162 [Sub-revision???]

Are there any particular wires that I should be probing with a multimeter, additional fuses/relays to try or obvious wires/connections to try (hopefully without pulling the whole dashboard off)

Is there anyone fairly local to Aldershot with VIDA/DICE to see what the ECU thinks is up?

Apologies for the run-away posting, but any help is much appreciated

Best regards,

Bill
'96 855 TDI with TT veg oil and 276,000 miles. - Failed cambelt (15/9/2011)
BillQQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17th, 2022, 17:21   #2
Nick6262

Hi,

I've swapped drivers for modules DDMs on my old V70. Twice.

The replacement DDM from the scrap yard died about 6 months after installation.

From what I remember the part number needs to match and the date codes have to be close (2nd number). The part number is on the white sticker rather than the black top half of the unit.

There are lots of posts here saying what should work but it can be a bit hit and miss.
Nick6262 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nick6262 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 17th, 2022, 19:06   #3
VOLVOBOY
Lazy Member

OP.
Because you have so many circuits not working suggests either no power going into the door or nothing coming out to ground .
You say you`ve checked the fuse . Was that just a visual inspection or have you tested it ? It should be from position 11C / 35 ( a 25 amp fuse ) . BUT the fuse position is not always the one they say it is so be aware .
Assuming you have power from the fuse position you need to check continuity down to the main connector on the door ( the one you`ve had out already ) and check pin 1 (the red wire ) and from there to the DDM .
Next you need to check continuity from the DDM ( a black wire ) to the same connector ( pin 11) and from that pin 11 down to the earth point which is on the floor pan . You will find it on the beam ( that the seat front bolts are in ) and just inside the door cill .
You can start from the floor earth up if you want , if it helps to identify the wires .
If you can show that these are all good then it must be the Module at fault .
You run the risk of swapping the Module and it still doesn`t work .
It is worth cleaning up the Ground point as it may just be a poor earth . All the circuits share the same ground Point .
There is a second fuse 11C / 27 (15 amp) that you should check .
VOLVOBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VOLVOBOY For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 18th, 2022, 14:42   #4
BillQQ

Thanks chaps - That's great.

It is currently chucking it down outside, but I'll get out there with a multimeter shortly and report back.

All the best,

Bill
Old Jan 4th, 2023, 22:46   #5
BillQQ

Default Sorted :)

Evening

Thanks everyone for your help.

Having checked all of the contacts, I decided that it was probably the door module that was at fault. Although I was assured that the replacement module was the same part and issue number, it clearly wasn't so I sent it back and found an alternative that was manufactured about 6 months later than the original part.

With this fitted, all function was returned to the driver's door controls and the driver's door central locking. Mysteriously, the driver's side rear door central locking is not working but it is possible that is a coincidence as everything else is fine.

Unless anyone has any suggestions for the rear door. I may try to get a replacement lock as I've found a very useful Youtube video showing how to replace it... Or will leave it as a 'job for later' and just be happy that I have basic controls back!

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=paWLj7yPA1M

All the best,

Bill
The Following User Says Thank You to BillQQ For This Useful Post:

Tags
ddm, driver's door, electrics, v70