Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General > PV, 120, 1800 Wants
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

After an Amazon

Views : 2014

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 12th, 2009, 19:24   #1
MMC
Somewhat corroded member

Default After an Amazon

Having driven a pal's 121 Amazon, I'm after one now. What superb cars - they really do belie their years.

So far, though, I'm not doing too well... I've seen a few e-bay monsters with more rust than the Forth Road Bridge and a few from other sites that have more filler than my local DIY shop. Had another disappointing trip today to look at another that had been really badly bodged.

Does anyone plan to sell their Amazon anytime soon?

I'm after something 1966 or later, unfussed whether it's two or four-door and not too worried about colour either. The important bits are sound mechanicals and bodywork. Don't care massively if the paint isn't great as long as it's pretty rust-free.

I'm based in Oxfordshire and seem to work all the hours there are, so localish would be good - although I do like the look of that one in Paris... Weekend in Paris, pick up new Amazon, drive home. Hmm.

Many thanks indeed!

Mark
MMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2009, 20:02   #2
dgbalfour
VOC Member

I can't help I'm afraid, I'm also doing the same thing...

Have you seen the red 133 in Princes Risborough for around £3k on eBay at the moment? I was thinking of having a look, but if it's a rot box then I won't!

David
dgbalfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2009, 20:22   #3
MMC
Somewhat corroded member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgbalfour View Post
I can't help I'm afraid, I'm also doing the same thing...

Have you seen the red 133 in Princes Risborough for around £3k on eBay at the moment? I was thinking of having a look, but if it's a rot box then I won't!

David
Hi David,

This one, you mean? Love the look of it (although I've not seen it) but at £6k it's a little out of the water for me!

Mind you, that one in Risborough is a cheapie compared with this one!

Seen this one recently - beautifully sweet engine and not too much to do, just a bit more than I have time for.

No worries though - I'm sure two sets of eyes looking out will be better than one - so happy to post any I spot here.

Cheers

Mark

P.S. This one is up on Merseyside and looks good - but the chances of me escaping for long enough to look at it aren't so good!

Last edited by MMC; May 12th, 2009 at 20:26.
Old May 12th, 2009, 20:36   #4
kishor kassie

Default 123gt

Hi. You are right, that the 120 series are really great. The 123GT is certainly the best. I have a 123GT, exactly similar to the one advertised for 12k but mine would be £6500 as it is: rust free, was 1 owner from new until I registered it on my name, original beige interior with plastic still on the seats, excellent chrome, original spot lights, straight body and I am using it whilst I am getting it ready for a complete respray in it's original colour. Any test welcome. Thanks from Kassie 078 2887 9494

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMC View Post
Having driven a pal's 121 Amazon, I'm after one now. What superb cars - they really do belie their years.

So far, though, I'm not doing too well... I've seen a few e-bay monsters with more rust than the Forth Road Bridge and a few from other sites that have more filler than my local DIY shop. Had another disappointing trip today to look at another that had been really badly bodged.

Does anyone plan to sell their Amazon anytime soon?

I'm after something 1966 or later, unfussed whether it's two or four-door and not too worried about colour either. The important bits are sound mechanicals and bodywork. Don't care massively if the paint isn't great as long as it's pretty rust-free.

I'm based in Oxfordshire and seem to work all the hours there are, so localish would be good - although I do like the look of that one in Paris... Weekend in Paris, pick up new Amazon, drive home. Hmm.

Many thanks indeed!

Mark
kishor kassie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2009, 21:03   #5
MMC
Somewhat corroded member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kishor kassie View Post
Hi. You are right, that the 120 series are really great. The 123GT is certainly the best. I have a 123GT, exactly similar to the one advertised for 12k but mine would be £6500 as it is...
Thanks Kassie - sounds like an absolute peach and if I had the ££ I'd bite your arm off. I suspect I should have included a budget with my original post though! Sorry...

If I sell both cats into slavery, raid the piggybank and cash in the premium bonds I've got about £3k to spend.

Mind you, at £6,500, I can't see yours hanging around for too long.
Old May 16th, 2009, 13:48   #6
dgbalfour
VOC Member

Mark,

Thanks for the reply - I too have seen that green one in Rugby. As you say, pretty sound car, but there is a lot of tidying to do! I'm also uneasy about the lack of any significant history with it.

The red 133 in Risborough sold for around £5k on eBay the other day, so it was well out of my price range too unfortunately.

Good luck with the search, I'll keep you posted!

David
Old May 16th, 2009, 19:19   #7
kimchella
VOC Member

Hi, I am looking to sell my modified BKV winning amazon 130. I have put a post in the " amazon for sale" pages. Email if interested.
Thanks,
Rich
kimchella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2009, 14:22   #8
jimbo1593
Master Member

i saw the one in princes risborough. It was nice but was showing signs that the body was starting to corrode after a thorough paint job in the late 90's. Mechanically and interior spot-on though. IMHO 5k was a bit too much, but ya pays ya money.

The green one in rugby was a bit of an enigma. engine bay and interior pretty good, paint atrocious and a bit rusty. didn't have a really proper poke at it as I had forgotten my magnet. No overdrive, potential for serious bodgery makes 2k a bit steep IMHO....but not by much.
jimbo1593 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2009, 15:22   #9
MMC
Somewhat corroded member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo1593 View Post
i saw the one in princes risborough. It was nice but was showing signs that the body was starting to corrode after a thorough paint job in the late 90's. Mechanically and interior spot-on though. IMHO 5k was a bit too much, but ya pays ya money.

The green one in rugby was a bit of an enigma. engine bay and interior pretty good, paint atrocious and a bit rusty. didn't have a really proper poke at it as I had forgotten my magnet. No overdrive, potential for serious bodgery makes 2k a bit steep IMHO....but not by much.
Interesting about the red 'un - I spoke to the chap and he was very straight in describing it. But, as you say, £5k... phew. Too much, sadly, for me.

Have to say, the Rugby one could be a gem, could be a dog - so hard to tell. Looked pretty filler-free to me, but the clutch release bearing was playing up and chattering too. OK, not a big deal to fix but a PITA all the same.

There's another on Fleabay down in Somerset (near Frome) - holey outer wings but apparently solid underneath. Not checked it out in the metal yet, but hoping for a few pics.

To paraphrase Sir Alan, "The search for Mark's Amazon continues..."
Old Jun 3rd, 2009, 23:27   #10
dgbalfour
VOC Member

How's progress doing Mark, have you got anywhere yet?

I keep being beaten to the ones I like - lost out on eBay tonight too!

David