Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General > PV, 120, 1800 Wants
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

LHD Amazon Steering Box & Idler Wanted

Views : 1287

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 20th, 2009, 10:55   #1
flatovercrest

Default LHD Amazon Steering Box & Idler Wanted

I need to convert my 131 into LHD to sort out a problem with Weber DCOE's fouling the steering column but need a LDH steering setup to achieve this.

Battery & pedal box also if anyone can help.

Thanks.
flatovercrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21st, 2009, 21:01   #2
agent_strangelove
Pastry Engineer

I've seen quite a few DCOE set ups on RHD cars. I can send you photos from a different computer tomorrow.

But I also have LHD steering boxes. Are you looking for the pre '68 one or the '68 and later one. I have a few wrecked cars about so I can cut out a battery box and pedal box if needed.

Let me know...
Chris
agent_strangelove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22nd, 2009, 08:11   #3
flatovercrest

Hi Chris

I used to rally a 121 20 odd years ago & favored a very torquey engine set up over loads of HP. The problem with this is that when booting it out of a slow corner the engine cant's over, fouling the steering column rendering the steering wheel useless until I lifted the throttle. Needless to say it caused a few moments.

I had the inlet manifold machined & used spacers under the engine mounts as much as possible but still had problems. The 131 I have is the later one with the larger center coupler which I could change to the earlier one (I assume) & reduce the size of the coupler but if you have some photo's that would be great.

Thanks, Bob
Old Jun 22nd, 2009, 11:21   #4
Derek UK
VOC Member

You could fit a torque stay between the engine and the inner wing, rubber mounts and a turnbuckle in the middle for adjustment. Better to try and find an inlet manifold pair that angles up a bit before flattening out. On some of these they also angle a bit forwards so you don't get a similar problem with the clutch MC. Won't be easy to find as this only affects RHD cars. On the plus side, as far as I know, DCOE's aren't legal for ralling so the demand for these will only be for road/race engines. Try and get "long" manifolds. You'll then have to take the BFH to the inner wing but even that can be done neatly.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22nd, 2009, 15:20   #5
Steve121
complete member

I had twin webers on mine for a while, the Ruddspeed manifolds are offset to clear the master cylinders and rise up a fair bit.. I'd keep an eye out for a set
Old Jun 22nd, 2009, 22:49   #6
agent_strangelove
Pastry Engineer

Where to start with photos... The first photos are of a set of Volvo factory DOCE manifolds (but they would have left the factory with Solex DDH's). They are the longer ones and you can see they are sort of canted up.... I own this set up and it's available if the price is right. It will fit on an 122 but NOT a 1800 as shown. I have been told if you get right angle velostacks (off an Alfa) and only *slightly* dent the wheel well you can get it to fit in a 1800. I'll let someone else sledgehammer their 1800 to find out...

Other photos are of several RHD cars with DCOE's you will see different manifold and airfilter set ups. These photos are from George Minassian when I started asking questions about RHD and Webers.

I have a wrecked 1800 in my field that has an engine brace set up on it. I think it was the one IPD sold in the 80's. I will photograph that tonight.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3011.jpg (53.4 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3012.jpg (56.9 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3013.jpg (61.0 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg rightdcoe.jpg (56.5 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg rightdcoe2.jpg (45.5 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg rightdcoe3.jpg (57.5 KB, 18 views)
Old Jun 23rd, 2009, 07:23   #7
flatovercrest

Hey guys.

Thanks for all your help. Certainly the inlet manifold is a lot longer & rises up considerably more than my one from what I can remember. That combined with a torque rod might be the answer. Must dig the engine out of the shed & remind myself properly. Back when I was rallying 20 years ago it was a lot harder to find this information & I just assumed that the inlet manifold I had was the only one available.

Thanks again.
Old Jun 23rd, 2009, 22:08   #8
agent_strangelove
Pastry Engineer

Attached are photos of the brace that is on a wrecked 1800 I have down in the field. It's right at 12" from the center bolt hole (head bolt) to the surface that sits against the rubber bumper (engine mount).

If any of this stuff is of interest, let me know...

Chris
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3144.jpg (74.1 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3145.jpg (70.5 KB, 10 views)
Old Jun 25th, 2009, 08:52   #9
asneddon
Master Member

On the photo rightdcoe.jpg, whats the horizontal black pipe that looks like its connected to the EFI injector ports? It looks like some sort of breather modification, but Im not sure it makes sense.

If you feed crank-case gasses into the inlet ports the carbs wont be able to adjust mixture to suit the air mass. Or am I missing something here?

Jsut being nosy.
asneddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25th, 2009, 10:03   #10
Quarterless
Master Member

Looks like a fuel rail to me as it has two pipes connected to it. One for feed, one for return. I can't see all the electrics for the injection but it looks like the carbs are being used like throttle bodies. It could be that the injection is just blocked off or the carbs could be used as a back up should the injection system go wrong.
Quarterless is offline   Reply With Quote