Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 '10> / V60 '11> / XC60 '08>'17 General
Register Members CarsBlogs Help Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

S60 '10> / V60 '11> / XC60 '08>'17 General Forum for the Volvo x60 Series of cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Will these Volvo's ever rust?

Views : 337

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Oct 7th, 2019, 15:51   #1
afeee
Junior Member
 

Last Online: Oct 17th, 2019 08:38
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Budapest
Default Will these Volvo's ever rust?

Hi all,

Just wondering if my Volvo from 2013 (Model2014) will ever rust? Have people already noticed any rust on their car?
I am asking this because I like this model so much that I actually planning to keep it forever. But unfortunately even this Volvo will have it's EOL.
So the engine will probably give up at some point for example.
My plan is to gather information the coming years about rebuilding the car with an electric engine :-) As long as the car doesn't rust I can buy at some point 2 big electric engines from EV West.

Check this video from 4:00
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVkJjt_Peg0
afeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7th, 2019, 16:18   #2
niva441
Member
 

Last Online: Oct 18th, 2019 16:54
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Warwick/Cambridgeshire
Default

My first XC60 (a Volvo Approved used car) was very disappointing in this respect. It had only done about 45,000 miles, but rust had already taken hold on the suspension links, front end structure and other places. Hopefully it was the except, but Volvo weren't interested in doing anything about it.
niva441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7th, 2019, 16:18   #3
Chrisv60
Member
 

Last Online: Today 12:01
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Home
Default

Mines got some bad looking rust around the awful welds on the cross member at the front of the engine, behind the radiator. I don't know how deep it goes though or whether it's just surface rust. It doesnt look good for the long term though.
__________________
V60 D4 SE Lux MY15 Savile Grey, winter pack & tints.
Chrisv60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7th, 2019, 16:33   #4
Clan
Experienced Member
 
Clan's Avatar
 

Last Online: Today 11:22
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: L/H side
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by afeee View Post
Hi all,

Just wondering if my Volvo from 2013 (Model2014) will ever rust? Have people already noticed any rust on their car?
I am asking this because I like this model so much that I actually planning to keep it forever. But unfortunately even this Volvo will have it's EOL.
So the engine will probably give up at some point for example.
My plan is to gather information the coming years about rebuilding the car with an electric engine :-) As long as the car doesn't rust I can buy at some point 2 big electric engines from EV West.

Check this video from 4:00
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVkJjt_Peg0
The bodyshell will be fine but the Ford suspension and cross members will get corrosion in 5 years or more , they are pretty thick so not structural yet , but maybe in 20+ years they will need renewing ... look back 12 years at the underside of a 2007 model and see how they are getting on rust wise ...
Volvo always galvanised their under body metalwork up until 2007 when Ford black painted parts were used . If it were my car i would take off all the suspension , subframes etc and get them galvanised for several hundred pounds...
__________________
My comments are only based on my opinions and vast experience .
Clan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9th, 2019, 21:04   #5
Discombobulated
Junior Member
 

Last Online: Yesterday 23:09
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Doncaster
Default

Id just spray the underside of the car and inside of the doors with Waxoyl
Discombobulated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9th, 2019, 21:09   #6
Clan
Experienced Member
 
Clan's Avatar
 

Last Online: Today 11:22
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: L/H side
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discombobulated View Post
Id just spray the underside of the car and inside of the doors with Waxoyl
already done at the factory .....
__________________
My comments are only based on my opinions and vast experience .
Clan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9th, 2019, 22:00   #7
GrahamHR
Member
 

Last Online: Today 08:21
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Kelsall
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
The bodyshell will be fine but the Ford suspension and cross members will get corrosion in 5 years or more , they are pretty thick so not structural yet , but maybe in 20+ years they will need renewing ... look back 12 years at the underside of a 2007 model and see how they are getting on rust wise ...
Volvo always galvanised their under body metalwork up until 2007 when Ford black painted parts were used . If it were my car i would take off all the suspension , subframes etc and get them galvanised for several hundred pounds...
Disappointing really; I can see rust on the front crossmember ,near to the radiator on my 2015 V60 Polestar. Yes, I can ( and already have) treated it, but on a 50,000 car, disgraceful penny pinching.
GrahamHR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10th, 2019, 09:23   #8
Clan
Experienced Member
 
Clan's Avatar
 

Last Online: Today 11:22
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: L/H side
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamHR View Post
Disappointing really; I can see rust on the front crossmember ,near to the radiator on my 2015 V60 Polestar. Yes, I can ( and already have) treated it, but on a 50,000 car, disgraceful penny pinching.
not great is it but that was ford standards , don't worry it won't cause you any problems whilst you own the car ...
__________________
My comments are only based on my opinions and vast experience .
Clan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 14:03.


Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.