Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

v70 2.5T engine judders when accelerating

Views : 1403

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 13th, 2019, 12:53   #11
VOLVOBOY
Lazy Member

Hi.
Just a few questions....
Is your car auto or manual ?
Does your car show symptoms when cold , when warm or both ?
Does it have a fuel pressure sensor on the fuel rail ?
Any mods on engine ?
Has it shown symptoms since having work done ?
VOLVOBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13th, 2019, 13:41   #12
V70Zig
Master Member

Diesel man myself, but having read quite a few threads on here............
What make of spark plugs are in there....just a guess.
Your answer my well provoke some educated replies or may not.

Passed away - 1999 V70 2.5tdi Auto 340632 miles, RIP.
V70Zig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20th, 2019, 09:00   #13
jimjam54

Default Thanks Volvoboy...

It's an Auto engine. Seems worse the hotter the engine is. I can do a whole motorway journey with very gentle acceleration and won't notice it but as soon as I put engine under greater load or acceleration it will start to judder. If I drive hard it will get bad very quickly, but only when warm, and far worse when hot. Garage has replaced plugs and coil-packs. No difference on either occasion. Only codes ever shown was misfire on 2 x cylinders; that was when rpm actually decayed to zero after very heavy juddering/power-loss. Car was ok but fragile after 10 mins leaving engine off. That's when garage replaced coil packs to the 2 cylinders that had the codes, but no difference; although car hasn't actually broken down again to be fair...
No mods on engine and don't know if has fuel pressure sensor on fuel rail I'm afraid, but many thanks for the post...I'm stuck...
jimjam54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20th, 2019, 13:52   #14
VOLVOBOY
Lazy Member

Hi.
If it`s not a misfire due to electrics then it must be fuel/air related.
What was the condition of the old plugs - weak on fuel - I wonder ?
On warm-up the engine management is demanding extra fuel . That may make a misfire less noticeable .When hot the fuel trim is lower , possibly to the point of being almost weak. So when you make a heavy demand ( flooring the throttle / lugging the engine) there`s a misfire.
It doesn`t sound like a vacuum leak as high vacuum is at idle / light load and you say the car seems OK then.
It could be an induction pipework leak which would cause weak running .The engine management will try to compensate as much as possible.
If there is a fuel pressure sensor on the end of the fuel rail it could be faulty.
They are a known problem on earlier petrol P2`s.
Also there is a fuel pressure regulator mounted with the fuel-pump. These can fail. Later P2`s have a fuel pressure control module . This can be affected by water ingress and corrosion.
I would check this area first. If it`s not ignition and it`s not fuel and it`s not air leaks then move on to other areas such as turbo, engine earth-leads or the engine management.
Keep us posted.
VOLVOBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12th, 2019, 21:14   #15
jimjam54

Thanks so much for the comprehensive advice Volvoboy. I'm no mechanic so I'm gonna take your advice to my local garage and see what they can possibly do. You've been most helpful - i'll let you know how things turn out...
jimjam54 is offline   Reply With Quote