Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Wheel Cleaner

Views : 2279

Replies : 24

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 4th, 2018, 14:00   #21
bobby2000
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby2000 View Post
I've just had my front wheels off the car today and given them a good clean. I bought some Turtle Wax Redline @ £5.60 per spray bottle, very economical to use, being discounted a Halfords at the moment, was recommended in Auto Express as a best buy wheel cleaner.
At 4500 miles my front wheels were not to bad, but I do try and clean behind spokes as well as possible during normal wash, any way the Turtle Wax seemed to work quite well without being to aggressive, once clean I gave them a coat of Wonder resin polish, this makes for easier cleaning next time. will give the rear wheels same treatment another day, they should be even easier.
Thanks for all previous suggestions.
I have just finished my last wheel. I think they look as good as new again.
As you can see I'm not into tyre dressing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180604_122803 (1024x576).jpg (116.1 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg 20180604_123952 (1024x576).jpg (386.5 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg 20180604_125614 (1024x576).jpg (385.2 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg 20180604_123859 (1024x576).jpg (96.7 KB, 33 views)
Old Jun 4th, 2018, 16:45   #22
SuffolkBoy
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby2000 View Post
I have just finished my last wheel. I think they look as good as new again.
As you can see I'm not into tyre dressing.
They look great - tyre dressing does make all the difference though. It really sets the wheel/tyre combination off in my view.

I use Auto Glym Tyre Gel now, it lasts for much longer on the tyre than the usual tyre dressing.
Old Jun 4th, 2018, 17:49   #23
bobby2000
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuffolkBoy View Post
They look great - tyre dressing does make all the difference though. It really sets the wheel/tyre combination off in my view.

I use Auto Glym Tyre Gel now, it lasts for much longer on the tyre than the usual tyre dressing.
I have to admit to thinking a shiny tyre looks good, I guess this time of year it will probably last longer, I might have a look in my garage, if I've got some I will give it a try.😃
The Following User Says Thank You to bobby2000 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 4th, 2018, 19:59   #24
volvocamper
Master Member

I have the 22” diamond cut / black wheels on my R-Design Pro XC90. I love the look of the wheels but the black element of the wheels is a Matt/satin finish as opposed to polished and this makes them difficult to clean and even when cleaned meticulously, they still do not look clean when they dry unless I physically dry them with a micro fibre cloth. Even then the black just will not shine. The one benefit is that brake dust does not show so readily on a Matt black finish.
I am a huge exponent of satin blacked tyres though and use a product called Highstyle from autosmart which has a mildly water repellent finish so it remains intact after light rain but not heavily waterlogged roads. I use it very sparingly and apply it with a small piece of sponge for best result. It must have an hour to dry before driving though I find to dry.
I have even been known in winter to clean just the wheels and ‘black’ the tyres and it looks as if the whole car has been cleaned.

Last edited by volvocamper; Jun 4th, 2018 at 20:03.
volvocamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4th, 2018, 20:58   #25
bobby2000
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvocamper View Post
I have the 22” diamond cut / black wheels on my R-Design Pro XC90. I love the look of the wheels but the black element of the wheels is a Matt/satin finish as opposed to polished and this makes them difficult to clean and even when cleaned meticulously, they still do not look clean when they dry unless I physically dry them with a micro fibre cloth. Even then the black just will not shine. The one benefit is that brake dust does not show so readily on a Matt black finish.
I am a huge exponent of satin blacked tyres though and use a product called Highstyle from autosmart which has a mildly water repellent finish so it remains intact after light rain but not heavily waterlogged roads. I use it very sparingly and apply it with a small piece of sponge for best result. It must have an hour to dry before driving though I find to dry.
I have even been known in winter to clean just the wheels and ‘black’ the tyres and it looks as if the whole car has been cleaned.
As you can probably see that mine are 10 spoke black diamond cut, but the black has got a nice shiny finish, being 10 spoke makes them quite difficult to clean properly in situ.
Having said that I have always tried to take the wheels off my cars at least once a year.