Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Checking/replacing bushings & Dampers

Views : 568

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 1st, 2019, 16:24   #1
BLS07

Default Checking/replacing bushings & Dampers

Good Afternoon fellow Volvo owners,

I’m quite new to the Volvo Amazon and although over this past year I’ve gotten to grips with various aspects of this car I intend to keep to I’m too blind or old to drive (legally!); I’ve much yet to learn!

Right now, (after dynamo to alternator 55amp conversion) I’m thinking that either the bushings and the dampers/shocks need replacing or maybe it’s just the probably worn out rubber bushings.

(Mild gravel/scrape/crunchy sound at front right when over speed bumps / turning right down or up a drive/curb slope particularly when there’s a heavy load on the right side of the vehicle. My Amazon is a LHD, by the way)

I have the green-book service manual.

However, may I ask if anyone has gone through this process recently - what dampers/shocks you went for and why - and simply for the best advice you are willing to part with please?

Most grateful for any collective advice here.

Cheers!
BLS07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1st, 2019, 16:28   #2
BLS07

Just to add:

When the clutch is disengaged at low speed between 1 - 10mph .... there’s an audible metallic “squeak” which disappears if engages the clutch OR accelerate beyond 10mph.

My ears are keen, so I can’t over look this.

Is this a release bearing?
So a pull the gearbox out job ?

Any advice or thoughts on best next move to address this is gratefully received - save for an expensive garage diagnosis.. I also prefer to learn to figure/fix myself.

Cheers!
Old Jan 1st, 2019, 22:28   #3
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLS07 View Post

(Mild gravel/scrape/crunchy sound at front right when over speed bumps / turning right down or up a drive/curb slope particularly when there’s a heavy load on the right side of the vehicle.
The RHS top wishbone bushes take a beating from the exhaust heat and rubber does lot last long at all in this location. I would look here first and replace with poly. The rest of the bushes you need to consider the pros and cons of poly v rubber.

The other possible is a broken front spring. As of 20 years ago it has been common to see broken springs due to age. If you do need to replace springs and dampers have a think on if you want to restore it how it drove when it left the factory or if you want to improve road holding and cornering
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to classicswede For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 1st, 2019, 22:45   #4
BLS07

Thanks again classicswede!

I’m keen to maintain stock/factory height & look.

However, improving the ride a tad whilst maintaining that stock height etc is something I’m keen on.

I quite enjoy the way she sits on the motorway and locally.
It’s just the cornering I would mind improving a smidge.

What you reckon ?
Old Jan 2nd, 2019, 00:30   #5
Derek UK
VOC Member

As you say you have had a good experience with Noddy, maybe get him to check your car from front to back and give you a report. Call it a pre MOT and get him to let you know all of the advisories too. I'm sure they can do any work that you don't feel you can do yourself. He can advise on your bearing noises too.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Derek UK For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 2nd, 2019, 01:01   #6
BLS07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek UK View Post
As you say you have had a good experience with Noddy, maybe get him to check your car from front to back and give you a report. Call it a pre MOT and get him to let you know all of the advisories too. I'm sure they can do any work that you don't feel you can do yourself. He can advise on your bearing noises too.
Thanks again Derek.

Yep, Noddy & Junior have been terrific.
When I was at their garage pre-Christmas (on that insurance repair) I mentioned to Noddy that I reckon she needs a check-up / diagnostic.

Probably best, as I can then work out what I can and cannot do myself.

I am very keen to do and learn as much as possible here.

...I’ll start with dynamo to 55amp alternator conversion, as that’s a two wire, conversion bracket, and belt tensioning job I can manage, I reckon.

Cheers gents !
Old Jan 2nd, 2019, 20:42   #7
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

If you are replacing the springs/dampers

For full height a set of road rally springs would firm it up but retain ride height.
Dampers you could use some basic gas dampers or GAZ adjustable dampers or buy a set of Bilsteins and then send them off to be revalved
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to classicswede For This Useful Post: