Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo 740 Trivia.

Views : 14079

Replies : 230

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 23rd, 2019, 09:05   #221
Alec Dawe
Former Support Team

For someone who’joined’ in January 2019, a person seems to have done a lot of ‘spurious’ research about members. I guess someone is a multiple alt member!
The Following User Says Thank You to Alec Dawe For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 23rd, 2019, 10:30   #222
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Default Back on Track

May I thank the Moderators for their prompt attention in this matter.

In the spirit of the original thread and a bid to get it back on track since 'CarlSwadlincote' has resurrected it for us, readers might be interested (or maybe not) to hear that my last 7 series, a 1988 745GLE Auto, which I owned for 18 years consumed 10,442.82 litres of petrol in travelling 62,746 miles. This translates into an average fuel consumption of 27.3148 MPG. Over the period of my ownership from 1998 to 2016, I spent £10,807 on petrol, which equates to an average cost of £1.0349 per litre purchased. I'll leave it to others to make adjustments for inflation over that time!

Is that trivial enough?

By the way, whatever became of the originator of this thread, the erstwhile 'Prufrock'? Although pedantic, I used to quite enjoy his acerbic wit.

Regards, John.
Old Jan 23rd, 2019, 11:16   #223
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.wigley View Post
I spent £10,807 on petrol,

By the way, whatever became of the originator of this thread, the erstwhile 'Prufrock'? Although pedantic, I used to quite enjoy his acerbic wit.

Regards, John.
I think that qualifies you for membership to OPEC John!

As for Jon aka Prufrock, he was summarily banned it seems. The day after it happened i looked through the threads he had been on prior to being banned and there didn't appear to be anything worthy of a ban in any of them.

Of course, this doesn't take into account posts that would no doubt have been removed by the mods that could have been made and caused his ban or perhaps some otherwise unseen Private Messages - on the face of it though he appears to have been banned for no reason. Presumably a moderator will enlighten us if there is a reason that isn't obvious but it would be nice to see him back on here if he's been banned by mistake.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 23rd, 2019, 17:46   #224
JamesV70R
Forum Support Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
if he's been banned by mistake.
Not a mistake, at all. I won't go in to specifics, but it was a lot of things over a long time - not one big "bang" more a slow "whimper". Plenty of warnings were given, and never heeded.

His ban is permanent and will not be revoked.

Anywho, onwards and upwards!

James
JamesV70R is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JamesV70R For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 23rd, 2019, 17:54   #225
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesV70R View Post
Not a mistake, at all. I won't go in to specifics, but it was a lot of things over a long time - not one big "bang" more a slow "whimper". Plenty of warnings were given, and never heeded.

His ban is permanent and will not be revoked.

Anywho, onwards and upwards!

James
Thanks for the clarification James. Obviously we wouldn't have seen those warnings as i would guess that like other fora/forums, the warnings are personal to the member in question.

Onwards and upwards indeed!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 23rd, 2019, 20:59   #226
baggy798
🤍💙💗

Default Ay up me duck!

Well butter my turnips! I live in Swadlincote, what are the chances?
Old Jan 24th, 2019, 19:18   #227
rwdkev
VOC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesV70R View Post
To put it politely, I always thought that his conduct was often not befitting a register keeper, albeit an ex one as he continually used to reference.....
rwdkev is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rwdkev For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 27th, 2019, 12:01   #228
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Default More trivia ...

Quote:
I think that qualifies you for membership to OPEC John!
Fuel costs represented almost 57% of my cost of ownership of LCE' over 18 years and 62746 miles, 'Laird Scooby'. Although not my primary business car, almost a quarter (14810 (23.6%)) of those miles were on business.

In addition to fuel, repairs cost £1576.05, servicing £705.87 and fixed costs £5875.65, making a total of £18964.57 or 30.22 pence per mile. Depreciation over the period of my ownership amounted to £1690, well under £100 per annum or 2.7 pence per mile.

At an all inclusive cost of less than 33 pence per mile, or 3 miles for £1, I regard my safe, comfortable, reliable and commodious 745 as also being one of the most economical long-term ownership cars around. Food for thought, given the ever increasing desire to squeeze even more miles out of every gallon of fuel today.

Naturally I was saddened when it was condemned at its last MOT (at 29 years of age) for advanced underside corrosion, but heartened that parts of it lived on through the good offices of 'Minty', of these forums. Maybe there is a part of 'LCE' still running in someone's 740 still?

Regards, John.
Old Jan 27th, 2019, 13:12   #229
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Crikey John, you must have kept some seriously good records! I tend to either refuse the fuel receipts or throw them away ASAP as i find it's painful enough buying fuel without having a printed reminder!

Makes me glad i'm converting to LPG, half the price of petrol (roughly) and better for the engine as well. Also means i can legally remove the cat on my other car when i get that one done as well.

However, what your records do show is that a bigger car doesn't necessarily mean hefty running costs. Something i've always maintained throughout the years.

Old Jan 27th, 2019, 17:37   #230
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Quote:

Makes me glad i'm converting to LPG, half the price of petrol (roughly) and better for the engine as well. Also means i can legally remove the cat on my other car when i get that one done as well.
I haven't investigated the economics of LPG in detail, 'Laird Scooby'. I know that it is a lot cheaper than petrol in terms of pence per mile, but then there is the cost of conversion.

Take my V70, for example. It does around 3 - 4 thousand miles a year at an average of 29.5 MPG. It is worth maybe 500 pounds at best. I imagine that the cost of conversion would not be economical in my case, both in terms of value added to the car and the likely payback period given my low annual mileage. As I said in another thread, I am happy to pay the small fuel cost penalty associated with a larger engine.

Regards. John.