Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

"Clonk" still there after replacing enginemounts

Views : 3775

Replies : 47

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 22nd, 2019, 11:17   #11
mermade

Have a look at this diagram here, number two on it, the front wishbone rear bush, they're known for wear:
https://powerflexstore.co.uk/volvo/v70-2008-2016/
mermade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22nd, 2019, 15:03   #12
ASt85
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-P View Post
I'm considering simply changing both the drive shafts. Problem is that I don't know that is my issue...

I replaced a gator that I (not actually me, but someone helping me...) poked a hole in. Volvo gator was >60 euro, some other brand was 35 or so and closer by, but was lousy. (Leaked the grease several times before I finally managed to clamp it closed well enough, not knowing how much grease there is still in it...)

So two gators would be at least 100 euro. A complete drive shaft is 130euro!!!!!
Which is why it makes sense to replace the drive shafts...not only do you get manufacturer sealed CV joints with no mess, grease leaks & etc. you get perfectly aligned splines at both ends & new drive shaft bolts usually thrown in - I did this a couple of months ago - the V70 is transformed...all clonks gone with no other odd noises from the front end, but before you consider changing the driveshafts, please check the drop links - they are the most common cause of clunks from the front suspension as are loose axle bolts.

V70 SE 2004 2.3L T5 Geartronic, C70 2005 2.0T Automatic, Sold 2.4l 20 Valve Automatic Torslander Sold 854 GLT 20v Auto

Last edited by ASt85; Jan 22nd, 2019 at 15:22.
ASt85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22nd, 2019, 15:14   #13
R-P
Master Member

Driving on a bad road I heard it clonk lots of times, so that doesn't vote for the drive shafts, more something suspension related (or any part that gets loaded/unloaded by chassis movement). Anyone know if there is a difference between V70 FWD, V70 AWD and XC70 in front drive shafts? My VIDA is broken and haven't found the time to e.g. install the 2050 patch (well I did , but it doesn't seem to work on my 2012(iirc) VIDA)

I have never actually looked for "3" in that pic. No clue if that can 'clonk'

And @ mermade: you mean these, right? Swapped the entire controlarms a few years back, but this is a recent pic.

I'll be putting on my 4 seasons instead of my summer tires tomorrow, and have another poke/look.

Last edited by R-P; Jan 22nd, 2019 at 15:18.
R-P is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to R-P For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 22nd, 2019, 15:27   #14
bkulcsar

Default Ball joints

You should (try to) check the ball joints (somehow).
I ended up replacing them (with Lemförder ones) and the clonks were gone (after replacing half the car - in vain ). Also worth checking the subframe bushes (somehow).
Old Jan 23rd, 2019, 10:11   #15
gramsey438

I would second the drop link suggestion. I have had to replace both front and rear o/s droplinks on my S60 since owning it. The smallest amount of play in these can really cause a horrible knocking noise when inside the car. Easy job and not expensive.

URL=http://www.fuelly.com/car/volvo/s60/2003/gramsey438/674201][/URL]
gramsey438 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25th, 2019, 15:56   #16
R-P
Master Member

Ball joints and droplinks ordered. I might as well become a dealer, not actually finding the fault but just randomly changing parts until the fault disappears and have the customer pay for all parts.

Only problem is that I am also the customer...

Old Jan 25th, 2019, 16:41   #17
ASt85
Premier Member

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-P View Post
Ball joints and droplinks ordered. I might as well become a dealer, not actually finding the fault but just randomly changing parts until the fault disappears and have the customer pay for all parts.

Only problem is that I am also the customer...
It sometimes makes sense to get a mechanic/trusted garage to diagnose the problem or even get it "pre-MOTd" to find the fault and then correct it by your own "spannering".

V70 SE 2004 2.3L T5 Geartronic, C70 2005 2.0T Automatic, Sold 2.4l 20 Valve Automatic Torslander Sold 854 GLT 20v Auto
ASt85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25th, 2019, 20:28   #18
AndyV7o
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASt85 View Post
It sometimes makes sense to get a mechanic/trusted garage to diagnose the problem or even get it "pre-MOTd" to find the fault and then correct it by your own "spannering".
Not always 😁 took my wifes car for mot last week, when maneuvering at low speeds the n/s wheel tramps, and over bumps the front end knocks & rattles. Havent had time or facility/weather to go through it. I told him (trusted guy, garage I used to work at many moons ago) I knew it was a fail, just need to know what. He asked what problems I was referring to, I said whats up. Once he came up out of the pit I said 'Go on then, what we got?' His reply was 'Nowt pal! Ive been through everything, cant find a thing wrong wi it!' So unexpectedly I came away with a pass.
(Clearly there is something, but nothing that presents itself for an mot inspection. I could clearly see the trackrod ends were tight etc. My money is on drop links, and a soft but not separating/torn rear bottom arm bush, but anyway, I digress!)
AndyV7o is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AndyV7o For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 26th, 2019, 15:37   #19
pitavolvo

Default clonk

try anti ping bolts
pitavolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26th, 2019, 20:04   #20
R-P
Master Member

You mean the (XC90) drive-shaft bolts?

I put the torque wrench at 50Nm and torqued the front-wheel-drive-shaft-bolts, but they all didn't move before the wrench clicked, hence me hoping they weren't to blaim. I also often hear this described as 'pinging'. It's obviously hard to describe a sound, even hadrer when it is not your native language, but I wouldn't describe my problem as a 'ping'.

BTW, my Volvo got MOT'd 2 weeks back (and passed without any warnings/advicements), when I hadn't even replaced the engine supports, so it shouldn't/couldn't be the ball joints as they are an APK (=Dutch MOT) issue iirc.

Also ordered Lemförder controlarm bushings (3x more expensive than the cheapest versions but I think Lemförder is often OEM so seemed like a safe bet), so I will press those into the old control arms. Hope this will work out and the press my mate has will do the job.

Last edited by R-P; Jan 26th, 2019 at 20:07.