Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Which 185/80 R14 tyres do you use?

Views : 1798

Replies : 28

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 13th, 2019, 11:27   #1
AllHailKingVolvo
Ye olde Volvii galore!

Default Which 185/80 R14 tyres do you use?

Hi all,
My Torslanda is in need of a new set of boots. The current ones are still legal, but have gone hard and have signs of cracking/perishing in places. They're Firestones, apart from one Michelin on the NSR. The Firestones are generally reasonable in terms of road noise but the Michelin makes a racket on certain surfaces!

I know as these are primarily van tyres they are likely to be pricey, but I'm curious as to what everyone else is using. I don't drive the car hard so my primary criterion is low road noise. As I have to replace all four, I'd rather not spend a gigantic amount but am not afraid to spend what I need to spend to make sure they're reasonable tyres.

Any thoughts very welcome!
‘88 745 GL B200E M47
AllHailKingVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13th, 2019, 12:38   #2
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Been 20 years or so since last running a 250 on 14's as all on 15 or bigger now so can not adivise on brands.

Do stay clear of van tyres. The give a harsh sketcky ride and also tend to be noisy
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13th, 2019, 15:07   #3
Duncan R

Hi,

Just had 4 new Hankook Optimos fitted. The last set done nearly 30k. Never had any issues with them and a good price too. My local tyre dealer had them on order for quite awhile but they are a brand new production run. I have seen them on Ebay for £200 for a set of 4 with free postage.

These are not van tyres - they are proper car tyres
Duncan R is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Duncan R For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 13th, 2019, 22:33   #4
Volvo Jensen

Hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicswede View Post
Do stay clear of van tyres. The give a harsh sketcky ride and also tend to be noisy
I drove a 86' saloon with 185/80 R14 (wrong size for a saloon, but they came with the car). One pair of these were van tyres; Continental Viking Stop 2000 C. I had them rear. Then put them at the front, just to try it out. The car became less good to drive, and I could feel through the steering wheel, that they were stiffer and heavy.
One doesn't need van tyres if it's a standard load estate, but at the rear one might not notice difference.
Old Jan 14th, 2019, 05:37   #5
eternal optimist
Master Member

I used 195/70 14’s on my Torslander. Negligible difference in rolling radius, no scrubbing/fouling and a much better choice of tyre.
eternal optimist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14th, 2019, 07:25   #6
mentepazza

I do use 185/70/14. Chinese make. Surprisingly good. Found them in when I bought the car and still doing a great job.
mentepazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14th, 2019, 10:33   #7
novomobile

I used Barums on my 240 s. They are the budget brand of Continental. Never had any problems, were a keen price, and certainly suited my driving style.
novomobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14th, 2019, 11:27   #8
AndyV7o
Premier Member

For what you want, Falken are a damn good shout! 👍
AndyV7o is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AndyV7o For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 14th, 2019, 11:37   #9
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

My experience of Barums is ok in the dry but crap in the wet. Know in the tyre trade as "ditch finders"
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to classicswede For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 14th, 2019, 18:05   #10
AndyV7o
Premier Member

Yup, never experienced a barum thats not teflon in the wet. They are much better these days, but there are much much better for the money.

Its funny all the talk of 'owned by' yes they may be owned by, and may have a little trickle-down technology and manufacturing standards, but they are not, by any means, the same as the parent company. You get what you pay for to a greater extent.
Point to consider, Vredestein are owned by budget brand Apollo, but Vredestein are -better- tyres than apollo, infact apollo are working the other way and siphoning know-how and tech from the subsidiary.
Falken are part of sumitomo rubber, who own goodyear-dunlop, fulda are owned by goodyear, uniroyal are part of conti as are barum, bf Goodrich and kleber are part of michelin group, firestone and minerva are owned by bridgestone, and so-on. There are many others.
AndyV7o is offline   Reply With Quote