Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Performance Volvo Cars
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Performance Volvo Cars A forum for those interested in any Volvo performance car from any era, FWD, RWD and AWD!

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What cars are faster than my 850 T5?

Views : 3620

Replies : 41

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 12th, 2005, 21:08   #1
SG

Default RE: What cars are faster than my 850 T5?

Hold on though. The list price of a new V70 T5 is >£30K. A V70R is nearer £40K. So to compare apples with apples, you ought to allow cars up to the same price.

The short answer to your question is lots. I just had a quick glance at the back of a recent car magazine and in alphabetical order, Alfa have 6 cars that are less than £30K, do 0 to 60 in less than 6.5s and have a top speed around 155mph. That's before you get to Audi and BMW...

250bhp is becoming the norm for hot-hatches these days.
SG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12th, 2005, 21:38   #2
pozzy

true, theres plenty of cheaper cars that can see the t5 off these days, times moved on im afraid
Old Jul 13th, 2005, 09:12   #3
volvotuning

The new BMW 535D will probably see you off at the lights!

Adam.
Old Jul 13th, 2005, 10:08   #4
pozzy

not to mention the mini cooper S!
Old Jul 13th, 2005, 10:13   #5
volvotuning

The Mini Cooper S has a very long 1st gear which will take you to over 50 mph no problem, so it may well have the edge from the lights.

Adam.
Old Jul 13th, 2005, 10:42   #6
bobcat
Premier Member

ive had a go with a cooper s on a m-way and from 50 up the r left it for dead. some spotty flash teen was driving it which made me feel even better.

cossies are quick, i raced one at the pod with my rica and it made me look like my handbrake was on!
Volvo 850R Auto,173K,Bobcat\SW Autos Ecu,18T,Reverse IC,13 Row Engine Oil Cooler,39 Row ATF Cooler,20psi VDO Boost Gauge,6000k HID's (low), Osram 50% Silverstars (High),ITG Filter,OEM Strutbrace,Aerial Down Switch,302mm Front Discs,Ferodo DS2500 Front/Rear,Goodridge SS Hoses,Koni Adjustable Dampers,Eibach Pro Kit, Powerflex Control Arm Bushes, Clear Side Repeaters.
http://www.swautos.co.uk
SW Auto's Ebay Shop
http://www.volvo-tech.co.uk
bobcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13th, 2005, 18:11   #7
sholtby
Premier Member

So with about 300 bhp there are many cars that could show me up. Not many that you can pick up for less than £2k as I did with my car that have similar performance though.

Simon
sholtby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13th, 2005, 18:14   #8
volvotuning

>So with about 300 bhp there are many cars that could show me
>up. Not many that you can pick up for less than £2k as I did
>with my car that have similar performance though.
>
>Simon

True, as a performance bargain, you can't beat an 850 T5.

Adam.
Old Jul 13th, 2005, 18:34   #9
5lab

there are other, quicker, cheaper alternitives around.. a 200sx can apparently do stonking performance for little money, and what about a fiat coupe turbo? 0-60 in 6.5 seconds, and 220 bhp at stock! that is a LOT of power for a LITTLE car.. i'd be surprised if it didnt see off any stock volvo at any speeds.

under 30k? clio v6 would do you nicely as would an evo fq300. other gems in this price range include the vxr astra when it arrives, and the fastest variation of the TT. a vx220 turbo might not have the outright power, but it'll do a vulva thru the corners, and a monaro is the other way round :)

thats all not mentioning the civic type R for 17k thats also (stock) quicker off the line, and probalby quicker thru the wibblies too.

a mondeo st220 is probably also similar money to a t5, and i would imagine lighter..
Old Jul 13th, 2005, 22:29   #10
k690bpp

i had a r5 turbo and cav turbo 4x4 in my youth and they were both loads quicker than both my r's even the rica'd s70r.

the only thing is they would fall apart after every attempt at driving quickly this is something the super reliable volvo's i've had don't do.