Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D4 VEA 'check engine' light / EGR fault thread

Views : 601290

Replies : 2692

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 9th, 2019, 17:45   #2261
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lojzek View Post
Do you think there could be any problem with dpf filter if you do egr delete, or something else, some other problems?
It won't cause any problems for the vehicle. But here in the UK it's illegal to disable emission control features, even though our annual vehicle check cannot currently detect such disablement.
Old Nov 9th, 2019, 18:14   #2262
marsdalebear
I've Been Banned

What is the difference between the subject of this thread and the subject of https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=300377

Just asking.
marsdalebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9th, 2019, 20:59   #2263
Dash300
High Grand Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsdalebear View Post
What is the difference between the subject of this thread and the subject of https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=300377

Just asking.
Well spotted. If one was cynical it could be argued that such a fix, if that is what it is, has been prioritised from the top of the model range downwards.
I know my place and await my turn
Dash300 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dash300 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 9th, 2019, 21:35   #2264
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:

Just asking.
That other thread is for the VEA intake manifold deformation/fire recall on SPA era cars... it's P3 era equivalent would be here... https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=296328 It's the same recall!

This thread was originally intended to discuss VEA EGR cooler blockage issues on P3 era cars, however there has been some mission creep!
Old Nov 9th, 2019, 22:01   #2265
marsdalebear
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebster View Post
That other thread is for the VEA intake manifold deformation/fire recall on SPA era cars... it's P3 era equivalent would be here... https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=296328 It's the same recall!

This thread was originally intended to discuss VEA EGR cooler blockage issues on P3 era cars, however there has been some mission creep!
So we have 3 threads on the same subject?
Old Nov 10th, 2019, 08:18   #2266
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
So we have 3 threads on the same subject?
No, this thread is not about the manifold recall. The other two threads are the same, but this reflects that the same defective engine being used across two generations of Volvo and how this forum is structured.
Old Nov 10th, 2019, 11:49   #2267
marsdalebear
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebster View Post
No, this thread is not about the manifold recall. The other two threads are the same, but this reflects that the same defective engine being used across two generations of Volvo and how this forum is structured.
Not being obtuse here, but I am sure that I have read that the EGR issue is linked to the melting manifold issue?
If my MY 17 , 16 plate XC60 throws a CEL and I take it in for the manifold fix (should there ever be one) would I be right in insisting that the EGR cooler and valve were also fixed under the recall? My top hose has no T piece that I can see.
It seems silly to have 2 (or 3) threads on the same subject and engine, surely they could be merged under the Diesel Engine section?
Old Nov 10th, 2019, 19:25   #2268
D4dilemma

Quote:
Not being obtuse here, but I am sure that I have read that the EGR issue is linked to the melting manifold issue?
If my MY 17 , 16 plate XC60 throws a CEL and I take it in for the manifold fix (should there ever be one) would I be right in insisting that the EGR cooler and valve were also fixed under the recall? My top hose has no T piece that I can see.
It seems silly to have 2 (or 3) threads on the same subject and engine, surely they could be merged under the Diesel Engine section?
The whole issue across several threads is essentially all about the same problem whose root is in the inherent EGR related issue. Essentially original 2014/15 etc cars had blocking EGR valves and coolers en masse. They changed the form of cooler and pipework and claimed it was a permanent fix - I had it in writing off Volvo. The fact it is several threads appears due to Volvo disingenuously pretending the fire risk and EGR issues are separate. If they admitted it they would be liable for all the EGR related repairs.
The fix only worked to the extent the actual EGR valve itself didn’t tend to block after just a few miles but the gunge it passed on into the engine via manifold etc led to eventually to blocked manifolds, inlet valves obstructed hence not sealing and in some cases melting manifolds and fire risk. Engine repairs can run into thousands and each car can be a bit of a battle to get Volvo to pay.
Volvo have dodged around the issue but the safety aspect forced them to issue the Recall notice in July 19 where they promised to develop a fix for the fire risk but refused to admit it was all the same problem. Surprise,surprise word is the proposed fix will be sensors and software to shut down a leaking cylinder...then what? In other words admitting the above is completely true and that as manufactured the cars are not fit for purpose because the engine fault itself cannot be repaired. Hence the dodging around.
Answers to Honest John from Volvo about the recall indicated 2019 Carr’s were unaffected but buyers of 2018 cars from dealers were given appropriate advice. I doubt that advice was anything like what the “non fix” was going to be. Nobody sane would buy a car with an engine potentially switching to 3 cylinders and needing thousands of pounds in repairs at any time.
D4dilemma is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to D4dilemma For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 12th, 2019, 08:15   #2269
ComradeBT

The level of fumes inside the cabin of the car has returned over the last couple of weeks. This occurs when I start the car but dissipates as soon as I open the windows and start driving. However, the other day whilst driving along the motorway, mid-journey, I also noticed the smell and could taste the fumes inside the cabin again. This lasted for 15-20 minutes or so before disappearing again.

I am not technically minded to understand the true nature of all details in relation to what seems to be more than one issue (not just limited to the EGR cooler replacement Volvo carried out on my vehicle in late spring?), however, is this all linked to the potential recall of V60 D4 diesel (plus other diesel variants) by Volvo?

I received an initial letter from Volvo UK several months back warning about a potential recall but have had no further correspondence since. Can anyone provide a layman's terms summary of where we are at? A quick synopsis on the common problem(s) and an update on the delayed recall from Volvo?
ComradeBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12th, 2019, 10:16   #2270
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComradeBT View Post
The level of fumes inside the cabin of the car has returned over the last couple of weeks. This occurs when I start the car but dissipates as soon as I open the windows and start driving. However, the other day whilst driving along the motorway, mid-journey, I also noticed the smell and could taste the fumes inside the cabin again. This lasted for 15-20 minutes or so before disappearing again.

I am not technically minded to understand the true nature of all details in relation to what seems to be more than one issue (not just limited to the EGR cooler replacement Volvo carried out on my vehicle in late spring?), however, is this all linked to the potential recall of V60 D4 diesel (plus other diesel variants) by Volvo?

I received an initial letter from Volvo UK several months back warning about a potential recall but have had no further correspondence since. Can anyone provide a layman's terms summary of where we are at? A quick synopsis on the common problem(s) and an update on the delayed recall from Volvo?
I don't see how that's got anything to do with EGR cooler issues, possibly more related to the VEA oil fume issues discussed here?... https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=297903

The time duration you report in relation to some occurences of this problem might suggest that it's linked to active DPF regeneration? However I've never once noticed mine doing this and can only tell that active regeneration is happening when the stop/start becomes temporarily inactive for around 20 minutes whilst cruising at motorway speeds.

Other common VEA issues (probably also unrelated to the subject of this EGR cooler thread) include high oil consumption (mine needs the odd top up), an exhaust manifold oxygen sensor sooting up (there is a software fix for this which seems to have fixed mine) and the EMAP pipe becoming blocked (I've yet to suffer this one).

Apparently the manifold deformation/fire risk recall actions are now being executed, but I haven't yet received any further official correspondence from Volvo about this. Posts elsewhere suggest that it may just be a software update to detect and report on the situation if/when intake valves fail to properly close due to soot build up and maybe even shut down affected cylinders?

Last edited by Zebster; Nov 12th, 2019 at 10:20.
Zebster is offline   Reply With Quote