Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Whats the difference between the celebration

Views : 1316

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 25th, 2002, 09:15   #1
daveh

Default Whats the difference between the celebration

I'm slightly confused,i own a dec 97 940 est 2.3 lpt
the registration doc says its a torslanda but on the inside of the owners handbook its says its a celebration. are these the same thing?

Old Sep 26th, 2002, 00:59   #2
Peter Milnes
Premier Member

Default RE: Whats the difference between the celebrat

Go by the handbook, if it is the correct one for your car. Most of the last couple of years of producton were made in the Torslanda factory. It could be a mistake on the reg doc. You are in the right time area for it to be a Celebration. If so it should have ALL the goodies fitted.

All the best, Peter.
Peter Milnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26th, 2002, 09:08   #3
daveh

Thanks for your reply Peter

Its got roof rails,plush/leather seats,walnut cappings to dash and doors,a/c ,Pholus alloys, black grille luggage guard ,but no sunroof or criuse control.

i wonder if its worth as a celebration ?
Old Sep 27th, 2002, 00:55   #4
sheerwater
Master Member

Mine is a celebration, Volvo celebrated when they sold it to me but I haven't ever since. Log book says Torsalanda, insurance used to call it a Torsalanda until recently, the extended warranty had it down as a 2.5 850 !!!! and many parts seem to be slightly different to other models. Basically the Celebration was the last 1000 of the 940s built to be sold in the Uk. I believe that they were sold in silver, mulberry ,dark green. The main engine was a 2.3 lpt with turbo intercooler. Gearbox m90, Standard fitments were ally wheels, aircon,half leather seats, walnut plastic trims, dog guard, airbag to driver only,abs, rds radio, and a few other tweeks to use up old stock. I say this because whenever parts have been ordered for the year/car they are nearly always slightly different from the parts to fit that year of car. My rear brakes for example are the ones for a 1995 car, The replacement exhaust fitted by Volvo had a different bore, the clutch ordered on chassis number for the vehicle was totally different!!! (even sachs gotit wrong!!!) As for the rest of the vehicle I got the Monday morning/Friday afternoon car and it now consists of half original Volvo, half Volvo replacement parts and half Eurospares. Hope yours is in the real Volvo tradition!!! Cheers Nigel
sheerwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27th, 2002, 19:03   #5
Jake

The Torslanda 940 est was available towards the end of the 940's life and was a basic but good value car. A Torsalanda in basic spec had plastic wheel covers, abs, power steering, central locking and imobiliser, drivers airbag and side air bags. It did not have electric windows, electric/heated mirrors or even a radio/casette player, although these were optionally available.

The Celebration was the final run of 940 estates and again was value for money but packed full of equipment. The items that made it different were standard alloy wheels, metalic paint, roof rails, self-leveling rear suspension and the sports grill. Inside it had wood trim, half leather, electric windows and electric/heated mirrors, air conditioning, remote central locking with alarm and imobiliser and I beleive but could be wrong, a CD player and cruise control.
Old Sep 27th, 2002, 19:37   #6
daveh

sounds like mine could be a celebration then, though it does'nt have cdplayer or cruise.

The torslanda sounds pretty basic -not even a radio! and wind ups
Old Sep 27th, 2002, 19:38   #7
daveh

have you got cruise controll then?
Old Sep 28th, 2002, 22:21   #8
sheerwater
Master Member

No cruise control and no cd I'm afraid. I suppose that they had to cut corners somewhere!!! No discounts offered at my dealer anyway as they had 5 advertised in the morning and only 3 by the time that I got down there. They stated (later)that they could have sold another 20 or so. If thats the case then why did Volvo stop production of the 940!!! Trouble is that the plusher they make the cars the less of a ''general'' workhorse they become. i.e. the old 240 was a good second hand wagon for an antique dealer but I cant see the new V70 being the same. Cheers Nigel
sheerwater is offline   Reply With Quote