Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V50 N/S & O/S Rear Springs £375 Garage or DIY?

Views : 590

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 8th, 2023, 10:18   #1
machineage

Default V50 N/S & O/S Rear Springs £375 Garage or DIY?

Hi all!

I need both rear springs replacing (MOT), and have received a quote of £375. Is this about right?

Was thinking about having a go myself, how difficult is it? Will this also throw the tracking out?

Cheers.

Last edited by machineage; Sep 8th, 2023 at 10:24.
machineage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8th, 2023, 10:35   #2
Geozyg
Praying to God of Volvos

The secret to rear springs on a 2WD Volvo is to disconect the hub from the lower arm so the arm can be pulled downward to release the spring without spring compressors. There are some awkward bits bit if you are OK with car mechanics it's not a big job.
Did my rear V70 springs is 90 mins. 60 for the fist side to figure it out and 30 for the second when I knew what was going on.

No it shouldnt affect the tracking as long as you dont undo the lower arm bolts in the centre of the car.
The Following User Says Thank You to Geozyg For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 8th, 2023, 10:53   #3
Teddy1975

You need a proper workshop jack for this job and a way to safely keep one corner of the car off the ground at a time while changing the springs. You won't get far with just the Volvo jack.

Other than that, it isn't too difficult if you do it the way Geozyg suggests.
Teddy1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Teddy1975 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 8th, 2023, 11:21   #4
machineage

Thanks - I've got axle stands & hydraulic jack. I'll search for a guide online to see what's involved. Would need to get the correct springs too, the code for which I understand can be gleaned from the build plate on the door sill?

Update: OK I don't have a code on the door plate, anyone know how I find the correct spring part number?

Last edited by machineage; Sep 8th, 2023 at 12:37. Reason: update
machineage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8th, 2023, 13:22   #5
PNM

Not a difficult job, assuming that you don't come across too many rusted and seized bolts.

Have a look at https://youtu.be/xH6pl438gIc?si=WdP2QBDkX2JHtWx5 for a rough overview of the process.

WRT getting the correct springs, it can be a bit of a nightmare on some cars. Personally, I get most of my parts from the main dealer, that way, you know they are good quality and will fit. It is a bit more expansive that going to the likes of ECP, but still a saving over garage prices.
PNM is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PNM For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 8th, 2023, 13:31   #6
machineage

Thanks - I just phoned my local Volvo stealer, they want £190 each spring!

Said that's the best he could do, and wouldn't give me the part number.
Old Sep 8th, 2023, 14:07   #7
PNM

I wouldn't be paying that!

Maybe try these guys, if you provide your reg during the checkout process, they will check it fits, and if it doesn't, they'll refund you, including the return postage. https://www.partsinmotion.co.uk/returns
PNM is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PNM For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 11th, 2023, 05:58   #8
Teddy1975

Try another dealership, that one you talked with certainly sounds like an a**e to be avoided at all cost when he won't even help you with a simple part number request.

I paid 208 DKK per spring (KYB) from Autodoc when I changed mine about a month ago, that's £24(!) each.
Teddy1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11th, 2023, 11:19   #9
Geozyg
Praying to God of Volvos

FYI. When I did this I had the car on stands and used the hydraulic Jack to Jack the lower wish bone with spring back into place. It can be a bit precarious.
Old Sep 13th, 2023, 12:56   #10
IainG
Premier Member

Hi
Did mine last month. Easy job but found each of my springs in 3 pieces, but all still in place. I did a side at a time. Chocked front wheels, axle stand under rear jacking point under the cill used the trolley jack to go under the hub to lower the control arm when unbolted. Hardest bit was levering out the broken bits from the lower mounting cup. Double check there isn't a broken bit left. Easy to miss.
Very stable and easy to do. Good spanners, socket set, penetrating oil, some copper grease and a lump hammer. Good luck

Last edited by IainG; Sep 13th, 2023 at 13:48.
IainG is offline   Reply With Quote