Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

towing virgin!

Views : 873

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 19th, 2004, 21:54   #1
davec

OK., I've never towed anything before, and never even thought about it, but we've now decided to get ourselves a trailer tent for the family hols, so I'm hoping for any info/advice on what to do re. towbars (I presume I'll need one!), wiring, driving the thing, and even any advice on trailer tents if anyone knows anything about them.

In all honesty I don't have a clue about towing so any advice whatsoever would be gratefully received.

Many thanks,

Dave.

'97 V70 2.5
Old Aug 20th, 2004, 16:48   #2
Andy Mcl

Default RE: towing virgin!

Hi Dave,
Towing is not a problem really you just have to be aware that there is something behind you at all times.
Rather than me trying to explain the theories and niceties of towing perhaps it would be a good idea if you found someone who does tow regularly so they can show you how to do it and help.
Tow bars, I would either recommend you have fitted either a genuine volvo - (buy the parts from the dealer and go to an independant garage to have fitted or a tow bar fitter) or get a Witter tow bar fitted.
I would recommend the Volvo because the electrics are better and it will give you the indicator warning light on the dash - this tells you that the indicators on the trailer are working when it flashes.
The Volvo electrics just plug in the Witter you have to cut into the wires. In 2002 the Volvo tow bar cost £124.25+vat and the electrics cost £53.12+vat so they are not cheap; Witter costs about £210 for bar + elec fitted - approx.
Naturally volvo is more expensive but not hugely and the electric socket is water proofed on the rear side so long term is more reliable.
Sorry for the long post but you need to know the whats possible.
Whatever bar you fit it must be an approved one and cannot be home made.
Cheers Andy
IPD anti - roll bars
Diesel power!!
Andy Mcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20th, 2004, 17:31   #3
Andy Mcl

Just add to the original look at www.ntta.co.uk there is a list of independant tow bar fitters.
Have a look on the internet there is lots of info and advice on what to do.
Cheers
Andy
IPD anti - roll bars
Diesel power!!
Old Aug 20th, 2004, 22:47   #4
davec

Thanks Andy, I'll have a look around.
Old Aug 23rd, 2004, 18:25   #5
KeatV70D5SE

towing isn't too difficult, a trailer tent shouldn't be too bad as it probably won't be any wider or higher than the car so you won't need to use extended mirrors. I have a Volvo detachable towbar fitted to my V70, this was about £430 (but was on my car when I bought it). That's not too bad as I had the same sort of thing fitted to a Renault Laguna and that was £440, BMW X5 detachable tobars are £700! If my next car doesn't have a towbar I will have a Volvo Swan-neck type fitted with 13-pin electrics. This is only because if I've not got the caravan on the back there's a very good chance I'll be off to the tip with a trailer load of rubbish or garden waste. With the detachable towbar I feel I have to take it off when I'm not using it and it becomes a pain in the backside.

I would only let Volvo touch my electrics at the moment because of all the multi-plexing etc...(it's still under Warranty and if anything goes wrong I don't want them to have an excuse)

2004 XC70 D5 SE Lux . Black, Black Leather, factory privacy glass, RTI & TV, Phone (also Bluetooth), Premium Sound & Sub with IPOD, Isofix & built-in booster seats, Bi-Xenons, rear spoiler.
KeatV70D5SE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23rd, 2004, 18:34   #6
5lab

if you're worried about the actual driving/reversing of the thing there are now driving schools to teach you how to tow, as if you passed your test in the last ~5 years, you need to pass an additional test to tow a trailor that weighs >750kg.
Old Aug 23rd, 2004, 20:30   #7
warthog
VOC Member

Dave,

all credit to you on asking the questions. Judging by the standard of some of the towing and reversing that I've seen on the roads, a lot of people think that it's just a case of fitting a tow bar and off-you-go!

If you have a local branch of the Institute of Advanced Motorists you could do a lot worse than speak to them. For quite a few years they have offered courses and instruction on how to tow (as well as being at the forefront of advocating, encouraging and organising continuation driver training and road safety post DOE licence issue.) Volvo Owners Club also have an active towing section that I'm sure has a wealth of knowledge.

I learnt to drive and reverse trailers when I was a pre-teen on a farm, but I still find that I have to 'ramp-up' my concentration when I'm towing on the roads. You need to develop many skills to enjoy safe towing.

Regards
Old Aug 23rd, 2004, 21:23   #8
Andy Mcl

I'll second that
IPD anti - roll bars
Diesel power!!