Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

CV Joint Hell

Views : 1093

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 25th, 2004, 22:26   #1
Bonobo

Old shape V70 T5 (2000 W Reg)

I've been strippig down the driveshaft this evening to replace the disintegrated front nearside CV Joint. I followed the Haynes manual and despite being puzzled by several differences managed to do this in just over the hour.

I then examined and compared new with old and found them to be incompatible. I am puzzled and need help identifying the correct parts.

The car is as described above, it's ex-police and was led to believe that it had no modifications.

However when Haynes Manual said to remove the Driveshaft Nut, I found mine was not a large nut but a small 14mm stud (About 50mm long) and washer. The stud went through the hub centre and screwed directly into the end of the stub axle.

Then when i removed the old cv joint from the hub assembly, i found it had a different number of splines on the stub axle shaft and the new cv joint will therefore not fit into the hub.

Haynes manual shows pictures of the new cv joint, my car seems to have a completely different Hub/Cv assembly. Can anyone help, the part ordered from GSF was for a "V70 2.3 20v Turbo T5 B5234T3 97> Manual / Auto". Is this not my car????

Confused, can't find any reference to any other type of CV joint. Have the police upgraded the hubs or were the later models fitted with different ones?

Also I am now left with the centre part of the cv joint still on the end of the drive shaft. unlike the new part there is no obvious retaining clip or way of releasing from the shaft. It wiggles slightly back and forth but is being held on somehow, but I cannot find how to release it.

Sorry for the epic post but I am ****ed off and desperately searching for answers.

I can post photos tomorrow if needed.

Kind regards
Jim
Old Aug 25th, 2004, 22:37   #2
mraldonnelly

Jim,

Complete wild stab in the dark here and I may be completely off course here but could it be that the car is fitted with a Limited Slip Diff?

As I say, I could be way off track and don't even know what visible differences a LSD would have but I am in the process of buying a car (ex-cop 850) from someone on here. The car has a LSD fitted but I don't know if that would make a difference to the hub nut etc.

Re the CV joint being stuck to the drive shaft, assuming it's the same as (or similar to) an 850, then it's held on with a circlip. You need to slip a small screwdriver in and prise the circlip open while knocking the CV joint off the driveshaft with a rubber mallett which takes three hands to do - not easy when the average human only has two! It should be covered in the Haynes manual you've got - if not, have a look at a manual for an 850 if you are still struggling. It's definately covered in there.

Good luck. I hope you get it sorted. I replaced my CV boot a few months ago and it was a bugger of a job. The main problem was getting the hub nut off.

Regards

Andy
Old Aug 25th, 2004, 23:19   #3
Bonobo

Thanks Andy, I'll check out the LSD idea. I know i've got STC (Stability Traction Control) and think this negates the need for an LSD (Don't quote me on that though).

Trouble is I can't see a serial number or model number anywhere on the old part so tracking down a replacment is proving a nightmare.

Your right about Haynes showing the circlip, the CV joint should have a recess in which to stick a screw driver and lever it open.

Mine however possesses no such recess and there is no circlip so I can't fathom the removal process at all. I even tried drawing it off the shaft with some bearing pullers but it would not budge, it must have a locking mechanism/key/clip somewhere but it is not obvious like the one in haynes. Didn't want to damage driveshaft by pulling too hard if it is locked on.

I will photograph it in the morning and count the number of splines etc to give a comparison.

Cheers
Jim
Old Aug 26th, 2004, 10:10   #4
Bonobo

Ok now I'm really ****ed off. I've just contacted a local dealer to find out what parts I actually need and why the modifications. They we're very helpful, but informed me that the later models have a different cv joint setup. The same as the new shape V70's and it has a different setup because it's a Turbo model. Don't know how much was bullsh*t to make me buy genuine but was told that non-genuine would be hard to find of this newer type.

It seems you cannot remove the cv joint from the driveshaft, it's a once on only type at point of manufacture. Hence they can sting you for a new joint and entire driveshaft all at the same time. BRILLIANT!!!

£266 + VAT

Thanks Volvo

Please, if anyone knows where a good breakers or somewhere I can get the complete unit for a less inflated price.

Yours gratefully
Jim

It's been a bad week :(
Old Aug 26th, 2004, 12:34   #5
big h

Default RE: CV Joint Hell

Jim,

if you haven't already tried them give these guys a go

http://www.partsgateway.co.uk/

Also try Braydon Motors 020 8985 2255 they may have one, and are really helpfull

Good luck

RICA ECU upgrade, IPD Grille, C70 Clear h/ligthts, Dynaudio speaker upgrade, Powerflex top mount, F1 filter, OEM strut brace, blue tints, 18" Pegasus, Goodyear F1's. VST lip, Blackthorn Performance CAT, 4" S/steel exhaust
big h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26th, 2004, 13:07   #6
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Default RE: CV Joint Hell

Try Salvo near Nottingham. They know their Volvos, and they do mail order. 0115 944 5644.

They have always been really helpful and good with me.

Cheers

Previously:-
1997 V70 T5 exPolice; 2005 V50 2.0D; 2013 XC70 D5
Philip Fisher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26th, 2004, 13:35   #7
Bonobo

Thanks guys, very useful info. I have calmed down somewhat now and made enquiries to all mentioned dealers. Waiting for some quotes, hopefully have it all done this w/e

A local breakers has got a couple of V70's in which they have not yet dismantled, gonna check them out too but not so happy about putting seconds on such a critical piece of the car.

May spot a few nice spare odds and ends while i'm there though, if anyone looking for stuff I'll check them out in the morning.

Cheers
Jim
Old Aug 26th, 2004, 13:39   #8
mraldonnelly

If you can't find any second hand parts try Nordic. They offer a 20% discount to VOC members. You'll have to be a VOC member but the annual membership fee will be more than saved and you'll have the additional benefits too.

Regards

Andy