Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 140/164 Series General > 140/164 Series Wants
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

wanted -165 pref auto.

Views : 6305

Replies : 40

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 24th, 2013, 00:27   #31
Volvorama
Too many cats

Default Just a thought....

The original British 165s were very late 164 based so don't qualify for free tax yet. If it's mostly the look you're after I'd certainly consider just using the outer 164 bits on a 240. Unfortunately I'd be inclined to say that the mid-age 1988/89 240s are the ones to have, especially as GLTs but I'm aware that the heater intake will not match up with the 164 bonnet.
Incidentally if you do want to restore a 164 you could take over one of mine as I have far more than any sane person should:
1973 164E white LHD man/od German - operational and I'm keeping it
1973 164E gold repainted dark blue - auto - runs but rough body
1972 164 maroon - auto - runs but rough body - missing some bits and autobox leaks. NEW ex-MoD engine fitted.
1968 164 black man/od good body but missing engine/box (I have some loose somewhere) had PAS added by Volvo.
1968 164 green - very early man/od body not bad - working LPG!
Apart from the 164E they've all be lying around for quite a while but I didn't want to scrap such rare cars.

Last edited by Volvorama; Dec 24th, 2013 at 01:00.
Volvorama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24th, 2013, 00:58   #32
Volvorama
Too many cats

Default From 940Turbo

The late Mike Lawrence of Cumbers owned the red 165 at their garage. My knowledge stems from conversations with him and Pete Fluitman. Here are some comments from him in previous thread:
Quote from 940Turbo in 2011
Lex Brooklands made a few in the UK as well, again not Gothenburg, but they were the official importer. In that instance I belive they started with some complete flood damaged cars. I seem to remember it was either 3 or 5 cars they did.
From Foggyjames in 2011
I can't remember if I posted this in here or not, but a friend sent me details of a handful (3 springs to mind) of 165s built by a coachbuilder somewhere in the London area, one of which found its way to South Devon, and ended up resident at MTM Cumbers garage in Brixham. It was sold on when the former owner died, and there the trail goes cold. However, I do have the reg number (SCV509M). A cheeky enquiry on the DVLA site shows that it is currently SORNed, and that is not due to expire until June. Anyone know anything about it? It's red/maroon...I have a few pics.
Rest of the thread indicated that there are a few around in Sweden and Australia too:
http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=95653
Old Dec 24th, 2013, 01:08   #33
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Thanks for confirming what I had already read in that thread that they were all conversions and not built at the Volvo factory and never an official model.

Shame they never built them.
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24th, 2013, 10:29   #34
beachcomber550
Beachcomber

Quote:
Originally Posted by 222s View Post
Apologies - I thought at this stage you were still proposing to graft an estate rear panels onto a 164 (very annoying that the regs won't allow such a conversion).

As others have said, the 164 has a longer wheelbase, but I'm sure with a little ingenuity, 164 outer panels could be shortened to suit a 140 front end, if that is the look that you want
No apology required ............ I'm afraid my postings have become a little convoluted as each piece of new invaluable info comes in !

Sheetmetal swap is obviously the easiest way - if at all viable, and "trimming" the back edge of the bonnet and wings should not be a major problem. However, I'm suspecting the scuttle and windscreen area [ 164 ] may well be a different size / shape.

I think the only two viable options [ short of winning the lottery ! ] are -

1. Forget an estate - 164 with tow bar and trailer
2. < '73 145 with earlier more pleasant shaped grill / light treatment.

I really do thank you one and all for taking the time to chime in - invaluable.

That's what a forum is all about - don't you just love 'em !
beachcomber550 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to beachcomber550 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 24th, 2013, 11:23   #35
Volvorama
Too many cats

Default Options

I think early 240 and 145/164 screen/scuttle area are identical.
If you want a real challenge I also have a 1 owner low miles red '72 145 Auto. Amazingly rusty, however. I sometimes forget what there is around here....
Old Dec 24th, 2013, 11:31   #36
capt jack
VOC Member

What a brilliant thread this has been. Perhaps you have to be a true Volvo anorak to have enjoyed it, but for one, I'm guilty as charged.

The next best thing about owning your own old Volvo is to hear from other like-minded Volvologists!

Thanks Beachcomber for the original post - hope you find exactly the right car.

Cheers

Jack
capt jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24th, 2013, 12:12   #37
beachcomber550
Beachcomber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volvorama View Post
I think early 240 and 145/164 screen/scuttle area are identical.
If you want a real challenge I also have a 1 owner low miles red '72 145 Auto. Amazingly rusty, however. I sometimes forget what there is around here....
Mark ................ I need to know more about this none ! Especially the "amazingly rusty" part !

Some of your 164s also sound intersting - quite a collection !

Can't see a PM facility on this board - however, if you know how to, please PM me with details. Or post them up in open forum - no problem.

Also what part of Birmingham are you in ?
Old Dec 25th, 2013, 21:40   #38
Audrey Old
VOC Member

I think the 165 that belonged to Mike Lawrence is now stored in Essex: I took a pic of it at Cumbers whilst it was being MoT tested years ago. In order it can be incorporated on my surviving 164s database I have a "spy" who I hope can examine the car for its VIN-number, and those of others stored there. And before you ask, no its not the guy in Wisbech who has several...

Mark - I don't remember you telling me of that many cars (!) - have you been on a 'saving' spree?

Sad to report I had to dispose of my spares-164 recently, as my rented garage area is due for major rebuild. I just had time to remove all good bits but by the look of cars featuring on this topic, nothing is unrestorable.... I had to trailer two late 164 projects to my other place, one a rare 164TE with manual 5-speed gearbox. However, I do have a '69 auto 164 with some rear end rust that I'm told I will never get round to restoring..... far too many projects. As I can't add pics here, if interested send your e-mail address and I will take some and mail to you.

Paul
Audrey Old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25th, 2013, 23:44   #39
Volvorama
Too many cats

Default Nutter

Beachcomber et al
I'm in the Black Country off M5 J3 so near to Redditch. You may know of my friends who make cider near you.
volvomark@btinternet.com is an email I check fairly regularly.
I do lose track of the 164 (and others) inventory I guess. My habit is to end up with cars that people I know have finished with which I buy to reduce the possibility of them being scrapped. Some are not bad at all, however, yghthjn (cat on keyboard again) as they came here many years ago!
Old Dec 26th, 2013, 11:44   #40
beachcomber550
Beachcomber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volvorama View Post
Beachcomber et al
I'm in the Black Country off M5 J3 so near to Redditch. You may know of my friends who make cider near you.
volvomark@btinternet.com is an email I check fairly regularly.
I do lose track of the 164 (and others) inventory I guess. My habit is to end up with cars that people I know have finished with which I buy to reduce the possibility of them being scrapped. Some are not bad at all, however, yghthjn (cat on keyboard again) as they came here many years ago!
A sort of a Volvo "Valhalla" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll contact you after the festivities have ended to get a more precise update on what you have to dispose of and at what prices I can afford !