Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Moto G Phone?

Views : 1544

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 31st, 2014, 13:52   #1
tem
Premier Member

Default Moto G Phone?

Has anyone tried one of these mobiles with the Volvo Bluetooth system?
If so, is it fully compatible?

Thank you.

tem.
Old Mar 31st, 2014, 14:10   #2
Flux
Premier Member

I had (until recently) a motorola Razr I and this worked fine for tethering (pre new Volvo). I now have a Sony Xperia Mobile and this works perfectly on my new XC60 for bluetooth tethering.

As the operating system is Android and very much the same on all phones that use this OS, I'm sure it will work perfectly well. In actual fact the format of the menu for bluetooth tethering is exactly the same on my new phone and on my old so can't see why it wouldn't work perfectly.

Think the motorola G has kit kat OS (the latest OS).

The only reason why I changed mine was due to contract expiry and the desire for a bigger screen.

Motorola are good value for money and making a comeback since being bought by Google.

If you Google the phone make and model there are some great reviews for both the moto G & newer X.

Hope this helps.
Old Mar 31st, 2014, 14:13   #3
watchboy

I have a Motorola Razri which worked absolutely fine with the XC60 Tem, the MotoG should be absolutely fine as the interface has been de-cluttered even more so is now a much cleaner version of android.

In theory, the removal of the Motorola 'circles' interface should make life easier and everything I have read says that the MotoG is all the better for having less manufacturers gumf on it...... I hate my wifes Samsung S3, it is clogged up with Samsung operating add-ons that actually make it horrible to use.

Why they feel compelled to put their twist on the android operating systems is beyond me, all they do is slow them down and make them less intuitive to use.

My Razri is now sat doing nothing as I picked up a Blackberry Z10 as I wanted a 4g phone and neither of Motorola's phones are 4g, worth knowing if 4g is a consideration.

So far as I am concerned the positives of the Motorolas are very, very good battery life, fast, easy to us and not cluttered with unnecessary crap. The MotoG isn't quite as nicely built as the Razri in my opinion but then gain it is a 'budget' phone that seems to be taking the market by storm.

I digress.

Paul
watchboy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to watchboy For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 31st, 2014, 14:21   #4
Flux
Premier Member

All good stuff.

for an upgrade to a slightly better motorola is the new motorola X. These are being pushed heavily by phones4U and you can get a 'deal' on a 4G tarrif.

The X is 4G and has a faster processor whilst the G is still 3G. Apart from that probably not much difference.

Watchboy is right about the stuff put on some phones. My Sony has lots of it and it does slow things down..

Last edited by Flux; Mar 31st, 2014 at 14:23.
Flux is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flux For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 31st, 2014, 14:25   #5
Srat

I've got a Moto G and it makes / takes calls perfectly.

I haven't been able to upload the contact list in to the car yet, but that's me not bothering to read the manual, rather than a fundamental tech problem I think.
Srat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Srat For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 31st, 2014, 14:35   #6
Flux
Premier Member

to upload the contacts, your car will send a request to your phone when it pairs.

The phone will have a message on the screen saying 'my car wants to download your contact list'. Just tick the 'don't remind me again box' and then touch 'yes' and it's done every time you get into car.
Old Mar 31st, 2014, 15:41   #7
Considered1
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flux View Post
to upload the contacts, your car will send a request to your phone when it pairs.

The phone will have a message on the screen saying 'my car wants to download your contact list'. Just tick the 'don't remind me again box' and then touch 'yes' and it's done every time you get into car.
I like that, never happened in my 2012 BMW!! but strangely the Mini I had one day as a service loan car did..
Considered1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31st, 2014, 16:24   #8
watchboy

Tem, if you want to try out my RazrI you are more than welcome to. It's not being used and is in absolutely mint condition and will give you a feel for the Motorola build quality / the operating system.

It's unlocked / on T-mobile / EE so no restrictions like many other providers.

Paul
watchboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31st, 2014, 16:39   #9
tem
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchboy View Post
Tem, if you want to try out my RazrI you are more than welcome to. It's not being used and is in absolutely mint condition and will give you a feel for the Motorola build quality / the operating system.

It's unlocked / on T-mobile / EE so no restrictions like many other providers.

Paul
Thank you very much for the offer.
At the moment I am undecided and was thinking ahead to when I finally get my V60.
Got a bog standard Nokia which does everything I need and cannot make my mind up about being bothered with the Sensus Connect.
The reason for the post, I have been reading rave reviews about Moto G and I see that I could get a PAYG from Vodafone for £99.
All I would need to do, is transfer standard sim phone number to the micro sim.

Thanks again.

tem.
Old Apr 4th, 2014, 16:49   #10
tem
Premier Member

Bought one on my way to Germany and it connects with all the features to Volvo Bluetooth.
Downside, battery life is very poor.
Looks like it needs to be conditioned with several complete discharges/charges.
Doe,s anyone have experience with Moto G battery problems?
Software is latest 4.4.

tem.