Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V6 D4 steering failure

Views : 1271

Replies : 17

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 15th, 2019, 17:18   #11
Sassenach

Volvo UK were unmoved by the video and are still showing no interest in inspecting the vehicle. I'm currently scouting around to try and get a lower quote for transporting it to the dealer.
Sassenach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19th, 2019, 12:00   #12
Sassenach

Just a quick update on this. The car was towed to the Volvo dealer in Edinburgh yesterday, who has now reported that the problem has been caused by the bolts holding the motor to the steering rack sheering. Basically, the motor is free to move around and is getting erroneous input from the steering angle sensor.

I am very surprised that the attachment bolts have failed - in my experience (I'm a chartered engineer) this only happens if bolts are over-tightened at point of manufacture or there was a quality problem with the bolts (assuming that they were adequately rated in the first place). I'm also unsure why the car is not showing any warning lights or messages (although the dealer did tell me that there is a fault code relating to erratic input from the steering angle sensor).

The dealer and Volvo Car UK haven't been talking to one another thus far, but I have requested that they now do so. I have to admit that my faith in Volvo as a company that takes safety seriously has taken a battering.
Old Mar 19th, 2019, 12:05   #13
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassenach View Post
Just a quick update on this. The car was towed to the Volvo dealer in Edinburgh yesterday, who has now reported that the problem has been caused by the bolts holding the motor to the steering rack sheering. Basically, the motor is free to move around and is getting erroneous input from the steering angle sensor.

I am very surprised that the attachment bolts have failed - in my experience (I'm a chartered engineer) this only happens if bolts are over-tightened at point of manufacture or there was a quality problem with the bolts (assuming that they were adequately rated in the first place). I'm also unsure why the car is not showing any warning lights or messages (although the dealer did tell me that there is a fault code relating to erratic input from the steering angle sensor).

The dealer and Volvo Car UK haven't been talking to one another thus far, but I have requested that they now do so. I have to admit that my faith in Volvo as a company that takes safety seriously has taken a battering.
I am sure they will deal with you in a professional manner , maybe there is history down the line , there will be a paper trail right down to the person who assembled it , if indeed it was a person . Have Faith … At all times the steering wheel will be connected directly to the wheels as in any power steering system ..if that is of any consequence.
Old Mar 19th, 2019, 12:25   #14
Sassenach

I'm hoping they will switch from "deny everything" mode to something more helpful soon. The steering wheel indeed remained connected to the wheels, but unfortunately the motor was applying "assistance" against the input commanded by the driver! All very alarming for my wife and not what you might call a failsafe condition...
Old Apr 9th, 2019, 13:24   #15
Sassenach

A final update on this. Four weeks to the day that the problem occurred, Volvo has contacted me to say that they have repaired the vehicle at their expense and that it is finally ready for us to collect. They can't yet tell me why the rack failed in this way, although they did note that a non-standard bolt had been fitted to the rack. So a lot of inconvenience for us but generally a satisfactory outcome.
Old Apr 9th, 2019, 13:59   #16
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassenach View Post
A final update on this. Four weeks to the day that the problem occurred, Volvo has contacted me to say that they have repaired the vehicle at their expense and that it is finally ready for us to collect. They can't yet tell me why the rack failed in this way, although they did note that a non-standard bolt had been fitted to the rack. So a lot of inconvenience for us but generally a satisfactory outcome.
A good outcome , but it seems that when i said "maybe there is history down the line" in fact there was a history as there was a non standard bolt in the rack .which indicates somebody has done something to the steering after the car left the factory ...
Old Apr 9th, 2019, 14:26   #17
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
A good outcome , but it seems that when i said "maybe there is history down the line" in fact there was a history as there was a non standard bolt in the rack .which indicates somebody has done something to the steering after the car left the factory ...
Fair point, but strange then that Volvo would pick up the repair bill?

A conundrum indeed!
Old Apr 23rd, 2019, 22:21   #18
SeaShell

I put a post on a few months ago about the steering on my '64 D4.

The steering wheel does not centre smoothly when exiting from a right hand bend, it's very noticeable on a good smooth road surface.

Also have noticed that the steering wheel will sometimes move slightly side to side when the car is stationary.

Car has recently been serviced (independent) and MOT'd with nothing untoward noted.

I just hope a large bill is on the horizon.
SeaShell is offline   Reply With Quote