Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 140/164 Series General

Notices

140/164 Series General Forum for the Volvo 140 and 164 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What price for 164E

Views : 2015

Replies : 2

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 3rd, 2003, 18:58   #1
Rob_Hem

I'm looking at a 1972/3 164E as a restoration project. The car I've looked at has been stood for over 8 years in a garage and not even had the key turned. The bodywork looks in reasonable condition but the brakes/tyres are well past it.

What sort of price should I pay (if any) for this vehicle?

Many thanks

Rob
Old Nov 4th, 2003, 01:41   #2
Peter Milnes
Premier Member

Default RE: What price for 164E

I have come into posession of a 1972 twin carburettor 164 which had been a daily driver for about eleven years. I was kindly given this car as I intend to restore it to it's former glory. There have been one or two for free lately and I know of one for sale which is in showroom condition and has only got 32,500 miles on the clock. It is fully equipped, tax free, manual with overdrive, sun roof, air con, stainless steel exhaust, new tyres and battery and has been owned by the same man since new. The owner would like to see about £4,500 for his car which I can assure you is in absolutely excellent condition.

So you have a choice, pay £4,500 for a damn good car that will serve you extremely well, or try and get this one you have seen for peanuts as you will almost certainly have to fork out rather a lot to get it going. If you want to know more about the one I know of give me a e-mail or follow-up message on this forum.

All the best, Peter
Peter Milnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4th, 2003, 20:20   #3
Rob_Hem

Thanks for your reply Peter, but I'm after a "project" to work on and would rather pay the extra to get a "shed" up and running than buying an excellent conditioned runner, I think it the "I made this work" experience I'm after.

You say one or two have gone for free so should I expect this one to go for free or a very nominal fee (under £100), because the elderly lady owner thinks it's worth over £2000!! (which I know it isn't)

Anybody have any thoughts on what value the car is worth?

Cheers

R