Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Loss of power after 10 miles

Views : 1409

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 7th, 2019, 11:16   #1
Namyllegin

Default Loss of power after 10 miles

Good morning,
I'm new to this forum so please forgive if I'm repeating old stuff.
I bought a V50 2.0D (2006) yesterday and all was fine for a bit then it started losing power.
It runs fine for 10 miles or more and pulls superbly (there is a slight whistle when accelerating and a 'whoosh' when you change gear). After this it feels as if the turbo is not there as it is really sluggish and wouldn't pull the skin of a rice pudding, and no whistling or whooshing!!
If you stop, turn off the ignition all is great again for another 10 or so miles, so I don't think it's temperature issue more a electrical/sensor but don't know where to start.
Thanks in advance
Namyllegin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7th, 2019, 23:02   #2
v4vlv

Start by scanning ECM for DTC error codes. It's always the No1 starting point before doing enything else.
Old Mar 16th, 2019, 21:15   #3
Namyllegin

Default Error codes

Running an OBD scanner the code I get is P2263 and says "Turbocharger/Super charger Boost system Performance".

When I lose power if I just turn the ignition off for a fraction of a second the issue goes away for another 20 or so miles. So as above I'm guessing it is an electrical/sensor issue rather that an actual turbo malfunction.

Are there any sensors that would cause this??
Old Mar 16th, 2019, 22:53   #4
harveys
Master Member

Have a good look at your boost hoses , sounds like one is loose or split.
Old Mar 17th, 2019, 11:42   #5
x DTR x
Premier Member

Possibly one of the tcv is faulty, had exact same problem on misses 2.0l D focus (same engine). Was the one at top of engine. If you are getting a whooshing sound though, it could very well be a split breather or intercooler pipe?

2005 V50 2.0 SE Sport
1999 S40 1.8 Gdi
1993 460 1.7 LX
x DTR x is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to x DTR x For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 18th, 2019, 00:10   #6
Piers1956

Hi for what it's worth I should agree that this sounds like a hose issue. You don't mention any dash lights?

I looked at a 2008 C70 today with a very similar problem. Ignition off and back on and all clear and away you go. DTC's were too many to count but looking through I went for 0299 underboost. With luck I found a vacuum pipe hanging off the TCV. This vehicle driven with low revs could cover miles without issue. Hit the pedal hard and you could beat it in hundreds of yards. Engine Service Light was immediately extinguished by turning the ignition off and on and would start immediately without issue.

Hope yours is as simple.
Piers1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Piers1956 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 23rd, 2019, 15:20   #7
Namyllegin

Default Found the blow !!

Right, I managed to get under the car with daughter revving the engine and the whooshing sound is coming from the 'flexi' joint just after the catalytic convertor!
The pipes either side of the intercooler look (and sound) ok.
This is the stainless looking pipe that sits between the cat and the first box on the exhaust and is covered in mesh. I can see it blowing a bit (smoke), nothing major but it's obviously not going to fix itself.

Would this give the symptoms I'm describing?
Just having filled up with diesel and I'm only getting just under 40mpg after driving like a saint and the trip says 43mpg, so not happy

Any further info/tips/ideas gratefully accepted.

Thanks
Old Mar 27th, 2019, 16:21   #8
richard

DPF fitted? Could be blocked.
It wont regen if there is a fault, so you are heading for a big problem, unless you find the fault asap.

You say the hoses are ok, but did you test under boost?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VOLVO-C30...oAAOSwvcFb973g

Just look at how many of these hoses sell, to replace the rigid plastic OE one.
Its hard to detect a leak

Last edited by richard; Mar 27th, 2019 at 16:23.
richard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to richard For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 31st, 2019, 19:44   #9
Namyllegin

I'm pretty certain there's no DPF (thank goodness!) and bodging exhaust repair paste into the flexi joint has 99% of the whooshing and whistling.
Just had the bumper off and the hoses look okay, could get the top hose off due to the mount half way down - how the f*** are you supposed to get at the torx bolt??

BUT there was oil (traces of) in the pipes - is this normal ??

How do I tell if one of the TCV's are faulty, are there any tests??

Cheers

Nige
Old Apr 24th, 2019, 22:33   #10
Tonypilk

Might be worth checking the throttle body which houses the MAP and air temperature sensors. Its not uncommon for these to get fouled with oil from the breather system. The MAP sensor is linked to turbo boost and is cheap to replace (£9.09 from Europarts for my 2.0D E4). Give the throttle body and temp sensor a clean and reassemble. Clear the code and take the car on a decent run to allow the ECU to adjust. Hopefully, that will do it.
Tonypilk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tonypilk For This Useful Post: