Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Performance Volvo Cars > T5/R Registers
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

T5/R Registers Forum for the T5, T5R and R model registers.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V70 T6 Performance Improvements ?

Views : 5035

Replies : 22

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 10th, 2013, 20:30   #1
steve mooney

Default V70 T6 Performance Improvements ?

Just bought an ex police V70 3litre T6 AWD, its done 140k motorway miles. Its pretty quick already ( said to be 300bhp in the advert ) - but what are the options to make it go a bit quicker ?... Can anyone give me some advice on good re-mapping companies, or other lower cost improvements in and around the Norfolk / Cambs area. Cheers .....
steve mooney is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to steve mooney For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 10th, 2013, 20:49   #2
Orca2
I've Been Banned

Thank god you bought it ,if it was still for sale after xmas i wouldn'thave been able to resist any longer and mrs orca would have killed me. I have been watching it onautotrader for weeks .
I am really glad someone on here got it it looks awesome, let us know how fast it really is once you get it going,
Is it the ford 3.0 l v6 engine?
Turning green now, keep us updated.
Orca2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11th, 2013, 17:01   #3
steve mooney

Hi Orca2
Im not sure whether its a ford engine, but it looks like a straight six to me. A guy at a local garage said its a twin turbo..... Im just getting used to it, but it goes like a train!!....
Old Dec 11th, 2013, 19:19   #4
don kalmar union
Trader

Default V70 t6.

Volvo straight 6 made at Ford's Bridgend plant: Ford intended it to be used in Ford, Land Rover and Jaguar vehicles but their disposal of those brands plus Volvo meant that did not happen.

A problem arises with changing the software in these cars due to Volvo's PINCODE BANDITRY.

A PINCODE system prevents any aftermarket firm from making software adjustments by flashing in through the OBD port which has been the effective and easy option for some years now.

The practice is a flagrant breach of basic EU competition legislation concerning abuse of a monopoly position but to date no-one has put up a case to bring this racket to a halt. Don't forget that this prevents any entity other than a Volvo dealer from making all manner of routine service replacements of components in these vehicles: an absolute racket that so far has prompted little interest from unsuspecting owners.

Fair enough it ****es off myself and my competitors but that is frankly a very small consideration in the widest context of this scam.

Back to the original subject, there are work arounds in respect of introducing aftermarket software but they are time consuming and costly, but safe and doable....so it can be done...

Best regards, irritated of Chesham

aka Don.

Kalmar Union Ltd.

MTE performance software , TME and Ferrita stainless exhausts, AP heavy duty clutch kits, KU single mass flywheels and LSDs. 01494 785508. email don@kalmar-union.com

www.kalmar-union.com
don kalmar union is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to don kalmar union For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 11th, 2013, 22:57   #5
Orca2
I've Been Banned

How much faster does it need to be steve the blurb I read up on it when I looked at ot reckoned ot had no rev limiter and was specifically designed to be able to beat a BMW m3 point to point on the motorway, now that is fast. It has to be good for 0 -60 of under 5 secs and top speed over 170 . When I told mrs Orca this she said when would you ever do 170 About ten seconds after I bought it I thought. Lol.
Sounds like an absolute beast of a car you lucky ,lucky B.
Cheers orca.
Old Dec 11th, 2013, 23:27   #6
I-S
Premier Member

Assuming it's a pre-2011 model the it's probably 285bhp, but can be polestar upgraded to 315: http://www.polestar.com/en-int/model...utomatic-2008/

If later then the gains to be had are rather smaller: http://www.polestar.com/en-int/model...utomatic-2013/

Strangely, the earlier car seems to get a much wider torque band at the same peak (480Nm) than the later car...

It's a shame that Jaguar never took on the SI6 engine as was intended - a straight 6 would have been more appropriate for jaguar than the V6 they have
I-S is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to I-S For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 11th, 2013, 23:32   #7
Orca2
I've Been Banned

If it is the one i think it is it was specially built as one of eight police interceptors
It is registered as 2008 but has 2009 spec, .
Old Dec 21st, 2013, 18:08   #8
steve mooney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orca2 View Post
How much faster does it need to be steve the blurb I read up on it when I looked at ot reckoned ot had no rev limiter and was specifically designed to be able to beat a BMW m3 point to point on the motorway, now that is fast. It has to be good for 0 -60 of under 5 secs and top speed over 170 . When I told mrs Orca this she said when would you ever do 170 About ten seconds after I bought it I thought. Lol.
Sounds like an absolute beast of a car you lucky ,lucky B.
Cheers orca.
Thanks for the feedback - your absolutely right, i wont be going anywhere that quick, but im just interested in its actual bhp, and what upgrades you can make to it. It doesnt feel like it does 0-60 in 5 seconds, but that might be due to me putting tesco std unleaded in it.
Not sure about the rev limiter being taken off, but im open to how it can be remapped... any ideas.
Old Dec 21st, 2013, 18:15   #9
steve mooney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orca2 View Post
If it is the one i think it is it was specially built as one of eight police interceptors
It is registered as 2008 but has 2009 spec, .
It did say it was one of the police interceptors in the ad, but i just thought it may have just been salesman blurb....
Im going to feed it on shell V power - to see what effect this has and get some basic servicing done ( as planning on keeping it for some time ).
Great car - it just makes me smile every time i drive it ...
Old Dec 21st, 2013, 18:48   #10
Orca2
I've Been Banned

Shell v power really works in these cars, I started using it once in a while in the T5 just to pep it up on long motorway runs. I now use it all the time it actually returns better mpg and noticeable performance improvement full boost acceleration is awesome.
Everyone on here says changing the plugs is the best bang for bucks improvement you can make, and I agree mine feels like a new car when the plugs get done, air filter change really helps too. I Use Volvo plugs or Ngk iridium tipped. You should check if any of the nutters over on T5d5 are setting up a dyno day anywhere near you in the springtime , it lets you check the actual output without forking the full cost out if you go alone.
Make sure you change the oil out for fully synthetic that beast is going to need it!
Keep us updated on how you get on with it, I am kicking myself for not having jumped on a flight to buy it, never mind I would probably have wrapped it round a tree by now, the T5 is addictive enough.