Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Adding instruments under dash

Views : 989

Replies : 17

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 13th, 2018, 00:04   #1
adarvasi

Default Adding instruments under dash

Good evening,

As I am a newby in the classic car environment, I was wondering if you, learned people, can guide me in this subject.
The PV that I just bought, as you well know has only indicator lights for oil pressure and generator charging.
I feel much more confident in having mechanical gauges for battery charge, oil pressure and temperature, as well as having a tachometer.
If I install these instruments under the dash, will it be considered an attempt to the "originality" of the car, even though that they can be easily removed?
Will appreciate your comments
Cheers
Andres
adarvasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13th, 2018, 00:47   #2
Army
marches on his stomach

Quote:
Originally Posted by adarvasi View Post
Good evening,

As I am a newby in the classic car environment, I was wondering if you, learned people, can guide me in this subject.
The PV that I just bought, as you well know has only indicator lights for oil pressure and generator charging.
I feel much more confident in having mechanical gauges for battery charge, oil pressure and temperature, as well as having a tachometer.
If I install these instruments under the dash, will it be considered an attempt to the "originality" of the car, even though that they can be easily removed?
Will appreciate your comments
Cheers
Andres
In my experience, originality is one of those things that has surprisingly convenient moveable boundaries. "Period correct" modifications are more often than not considered to be fine.

In the PV world there seem to be loads of "rally" cars where high prices are expected whether they have true rally status or not - so modifications aren't necessarily bad.

If you are at all worried about this it is best (as you say) to make modifications that can easily be changed.

####

My PV has several modifications that I consider to be positive changes made to the car (and considering what the car is and how the car is I approve of these modifications whether anyone else agrees or not!)

1) Front disc brakes
2) A reservoir for the brake fluid
3) Speed variable windscreen wipers
4) Electronic ignition
5) A metal glove box interior
6) Amazon front seats (more comfortable than the originals apparently)
7) A light in the boot / trunk
8) A tow hitch
9) Inertia reel seat belts for the front passengers
10) A B20 engine with a Weber Carb
11) Marshal fog lights on the front

I will be / I am making the following additional modifications

a) Daft bare metal look to the outside
b) Re-wiring and repositioning the fuse box inside the cabin
c) Adding USB power points
d) Considering a heated rear screen
e) Fitting slightly wider 5.5 inch wheels so I can use modern tyres
f) Looking into LED bulbs
g) A custom exhaust following the style of the Abarth ones that used to be available
h) period correct fog light on the rear
i) An electric cooling fan

Perversely I am in the process of returning the inside colour to the original Fawn Brown (from a gaudy red that was chosen by someone else). If my plans for the outside bare metal look don't work out then I'll be returning all of the paint to the original Fawn Brown.
1992 Mercedes 190E The car that works!

Last edited by Army; Oct 13th, 2018 at 00:50.
Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13th, 2018, 01:44   #3
blueosprey90
Master Member

I'm also a noob in the PV world.

I don't think that our cars have enough value to worry about modifications, so go for what you want.

Agree that period correct is best, but any modification that upgrades safety and performance (within reason) will probably increase rather than detract from value.

My car is 6 volt. I can't imagine any penalty points for changing to 12 volt. My car has a generator. I can't imagine any penalty points for changing to an alternator. I want to put in some footwell lights. Don't see a negative. I can't imagine than an engine swap to a B18 or a B20 would hurt the value of my car.

Now, of course, if your car is concourse material, you might want to pause.

As for me, my car was used in two bank robberies and then parked under a tree for the duration of the prison term. I think all of the value is still hidden under the rear seat.
blueosprey90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13th, 2018, 06:55   #4
canis
Non Fragile

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueosprey90 View Post
As for me, my car was used in two bank robberies and then parked under a tree for the duration of the prison term. I think all of the value is still hidden under the rear seat.
Was the loot still there when you got out?
canis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13th, 2018, 08:57   #5
Army
marches on his stomach

Quote:
I was going to say "no wonder they got caught driving a PV" but then I guess the first robbery was a success. It must have been the PV's distinctive style and grace that picked them out from the crowd after the first robbery...
1992 Mercedes 190E The car that works!
Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13th, 2018, 13:41   #6
adarvasi

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Army View Post
In my experience, originality is one of those things that has surprisingly convenient moveable boundaries. "Period correct" modifications are more often than not considered to be fine.

In the PV world there seem to be loads of "rally" cars where high prices are expected whether they have true rally status or not - so modifications aren't necessarily bad.

If you are at all worried about this it is best (as you say) to make modifications that can easily be changed.

####

My PV has several modifications that I consider to be positive changes made to the car (and considering what the car is and how the car is I approve of these modifications whether anyone else agrees or not!)

1) Front disc brakes
2) A reservoir for the brake fluid
3) Speed variable windscreen wipers
4) Electronic ignition
5) A metal glove box interior
6) Amazon front seats (more comfortable than the originals apparently)
7) A light in the boot / trunk
8) A tow hitch
9) Inertia reel seat belts for the front passengers
10) A B20 engine with a Weber Carb
11) Marshal fog lights on the front

I will be / I am making the following additional modifications

a) Daft bare metal look to the outside
b) Re-wiring and repositioning the fuse box inside the cabin
c) Adding USB power points
d) Considering a heated rear screen
e) Fitting slightly wider 5.5 inch wheels so I can use modern tyres
f) Looking into LED bulbs
g) A custom exhaust following the style of the Abarth ones that used to be available
h) period correct fog light on the rear
i) An electric cooling fan

Perversely I am in the process of returning the inside colour to the original Fawn Brown (from a gaudy red that was chosen by someone else). If my plans for the outside bare metal look don't work out then I'll be returning all of the paint to the original Fawn Brown.
Thank you Army, good tips
Old Oct 13th, 2018, 14:16   #7
adarvasi

Quote:
I'm also a noob in the PV world.

I don't think that our cars have enough value to worry about modifications, so go for what you want.

Agree that period correct is best, but any modification that upgrades safety and performance (within reason) will probably increase rather than detract from value.

My car is 6 volt. I can't imagine any penalty points for changing to 12 volt. My car has a generator. I can't imagine any penalty points for changing to an alternator. I want to put in some footwell lights. Don't see a negative. I can't imagine than an engine swap to a B18 or a B20 would hurt the value of my car.

Now, of course, if your car is of your is concourse material, you might want to pause.

I tend to fully agree, and as you say, “if your car is concourse material”, it is not, perhaps it could become but I rather enjoy it as much as I can, and spend the money in something else.

Funny story about the bank robbers! I know a person here in Mexico that bough a business jet in a government auction, when they were refurbishing the interior they found a stash of drugs. He returned the aircraft with its load and preferred (wisely) to lose the money than to deal with the individuals that had lost the drugs.
Old Oct 13th, 2018, 14:17   #8
adarvasi

Old Oct 13th, 2018, 14:24   #9
adarvasi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Army View Post
I was going to say "no wonder they got caught driving a PV" but then I guess the first robbery was a success. It must have been the PV's distinctive style and grace that picked them out from the crowd after the first robbery...
Old Oct 13th, 2018, 14:42   #10
arcturus
arcturus

My PV had gauges fitted under the dash on the entry side,left of steering wheel. Kept banging my knee on them so I removed them. As an after thought, PVs may not have a high value now but as the years roll on they seem to be coming more sought after. An original one can fetch more money so keep all the original parts so that you can renew them if necessary. Try not to cut any holes in the dash.One similar to mine in reasonable nick here in Portugal will fetch about €15.000 Original like mine with papers
will fetch €17,000.