Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Data Sim Card v Phone.

Views : 1762

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 4th, 2018, 03:59   #1
Tartansporran

Default Data Sim Card v Phone.

Currently I am quite happy tethering my phone to my car (XC40) and using my phone's ample data allowance to listen to music, run Apps etc. Why would I now want to buy a Data Sim Card for the car? What advantages would it give me over my current set up as there will obviously be a slight extra cost of purchasing a Data Sim card?
Many thanks.
Tartansporran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4th, 2018, 07:56   #2
marc
VOC Member

As you have a large data allowance on your mobile, it probably wouldn’t benefit you at all.

If you took your car to Europe etc, a data SIM from the likes of 3 would be good as they have their “roam like home” deals and you get plenty of data that can be used in many countries.

C30 D5 SE Lux with added Polestar!!

C30CREW.COM
marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4th, 2018, 13:42   #3
AndyJudge
Premier Member

Creating a WiFi hotspot in the car for others to use, that what mines for anyway Oh & I've only got 2Gb on the phone but a 30Gb data Sim in the car.
Previous 2001 C70 T5 GT Auto Convertible - Saffron
Previous 1999 S40 XS - Silver
AndyJudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4th, 2018, 17:09   #4
green van man
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyJudge View Post
Creating a WiFi hotspot in the car for others to use, that what mines for anyway Oh & I've only got 2Gb on the phone but a 30Gb data Sim in the car.
Is the data sim a monthly contract and if so what sort of money does it cost, ball park figure so I can do the calculations rather than actually costs.

Regards Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4th, 2018, 18:19   #5
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tartansporran View Post
Currently I am quite happy tethering my phone to my car (XC40) and using my phone's ample data allowance to listen to music, run Apps etc. Why would I now want to buy a Data Sim Card for the car? What advantages would it give me over my current set up as there will obviously be a slight extra cost of purchasing a Data Sim card?
Many thanks.
Advantages is primarily total autonomy, independent of your phone

Tethering to the phone requires
1. Mobile phone physically present, with enough battery life, turned on and connected to the network
2. Enough data allowance on the phone

Using the vehicle internal data module gives you
1. Independence from your mobile phone (other people can drive the car and enjoy data as much as you)
2. Stronger signal coverage due to better antenna positioning in the vehicle
3. No battery issues. Ever.

Whether these are points apply to you, your lifestyle and your vehicle usage is something that only you can answer.
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4th, 2018, 19:33   #6
Tartansporran

Thanks for the feedback so far guys. To reply to your comments:

I have a 3 Roaming plan on my phone already, so if I do venture to Europe I am covered.

No need for a Wifi Hotspot in the car at the moment.

I have ample 3G on my phone at a very low monthly cost.

If I don’t have my phone on me it will probably be for a quick journey so I could probably cope.

I guess that means I don’t need a Data Sim Card!
Tartansporran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4th, 2018, 20:32   #7
cassell
Member since 1988

Hi, I think you've answered your own question but for comparison purposes I have the opposite to you.

I only have a limited 1GB of data each month on my phone so I use a 3 data sim with 12GB/12 months of data for £27.99 in my V90's modem. I find the wifi hotspot useful for family and get my data sim cards from here:

https://www.mymemory.co.uk/3-payg-4g...12gb-data.html

Up to now it's the best deal I've found although they also do a 24GB/24 month one for £40+ IIRC.
cassell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4th, 2018, 21:35   #8
AndyJudge
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by green van man View Post
Is the data sim a monthly contract and if so what sort of money does it cost, ball park figure so I can do the calculations rather than actually costs.

Regards Paul.
I pay £25 a month on Vodafone 1 month rolling contract, I don't actually ever use anything like all of it so may be worth a revisit.

I purchase originally as my new house didn't have broadband available to used it with a Wi-Fi hotspot. When I swapped to the newer XC60 with the ability to host Wi-Fi I just maintained it.

It I useful when out & about with the lad & on Hols etc.
Previous 2001 C70 T5 GT Auto Convertible - Saffron
Previous 1999 S40 XS - Silver
AndyJudge is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AndyJudge For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 4th, 2018, 22:06   #9
roundyuk

I’ve been tethering via Bluetooth for weeks and it’s been fine, my iPhone is being a right pain now and I have to reboot it whenever I get in the car after a long time or overnight.

Starting to make me contemplate using a sim!
roundyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4th, 2018, 22:44   #10
CoopsSA
Volvo Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassell View Post
Hi, I think you've answered your own question but for comparison purposes I have the opposite to you.

I only have a limited 1GB of data each month on my phone so I use a 3 data sim with 12GB/12 months of data for £27.99 in my V90's modem. I find the wifi hotspot useful for family and get my data sim cards from here:

https://www.mymemory.co.uk/3-payg-4g...12gb-data.html

Up to now it's the best deal I've found although they also do a 24GB/24 month one for £40+ IIRC.
How much data do you typically use a month? My phone is a company one so don't want to take the p!ss on the data and will get a separate SIM card.