Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General > 700/900 Series Wants

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Prop shaft centre bearing for 940

Views : 853

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 12th, 2019, 19:11   #1
clocks2003
Master Member

Default Prop shaft centre bearing for 940

Anyone got one they can let me have (for a reasonable fee of course!)?
If it makes any difference it is an R reg car with an M90 gearbox
Thanks
Andrew
clocks2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12th, 2019, 20:19   #2
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clocks2003 View Post
Anyone got one they can let me have (for a reasonable fee of course!)?
If it makes any difference it is an R reg car with an M90 gearbox
Thanks
Andrew
Depends what you call a "reasonable fee" - you can buy new ones from just over £20, delivered :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_f...aring&_sacat=0

By the time you've crawled uner, removed the propshaft (don't forget to mark the flanges with Tipp-Ex or similar to make sure it goes back the same way), slid one end out of the other, removed the centre bearing from it and fitted a secondhand one, you'll be wishing you'd bought a new one - especially if the new one is little or no better than the one you've just removed!

It's honestly a false economy, a bit like buying secondhand brake pads.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 12th, 2019, 20:53   #3
tofufi
Premier Member

What Dave says.

It's not too bad a job to do Just go careful as there are two sizes iirc.
tofufi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tofufi For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 12th, 2019, 23:18   #4
clocks2003
Master Member

The front half of the prop shaft is already off...
But I take your point about a second hand one. Thanks.

Last edited by clocks2003; Mar 12th, 2019 at 23:27.
The Following User Says Thank You to clocks2003 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 12th, 2019, 23:24   #5
clocks2003
Master Member

Is it the diameter or length of the bearing that's different? It seems (in the dark) to be permanently attached to the front half of the pros shaft which is approx 29.75" long excluding the rubber doughnut.
Are there still available from Volvo?
Thanks, and forgive the rookie questions...

Last edited by clocks2003; Mar 12th, 2019 at 23:29.
Old Mar 13th, 2019, 00:01   #6
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
The front half of the prop shaft is already off...
But I take your point about a second hand one. Thanks.
You've made work for yourself there - the front and back halves of the prop shaft only slide together in one position and it's horrendously hard to get those lined up with the rear half of the prop still on the car. Sounds like it should be easy but it isn't.

Quote:
Is it the diameter or length of the bearing that's different? It seems (in the dark) to be permanently attached to the front half of the pros shaft which is approx 29.75" long excluding the rubber doughnut.
Are there still available from Volvo?
Thanks, and forgive the rookie questions...
It's the diameter of the bearing - i take it you've got the complete bearing including the carrier/bracket that bolts to the floorpan off? The bearing should drift off the prop fairly easily, especially if you clean the prop with a wire brush or similar.

I think they're still available from Volvo but why bother? The complete assemblies are available off the shelf on ebay because they are also used on Transits and LDV Sherpas, plus a few others including some Land-Rovers. When i enquired about 2 years ago, Volvo wanted to sell me the component parts, all at significantly higerh prices each than the complete assembly on fleabay.

It's a lot easier to change the complete assembly than try drifting out the bearing from the mounting bracket, drift the new one in and get it square and so on.

A little tip when you do get the new one fitted, take it for a slow (below 30mph) test drive to make sure there aren't any undue vibrations - if there are, note what speed it happens.
Return to base and crawl under, slacken the 4 mounting botls on the centre bearing bracket NO MORE THAN 1/2 turn each and take it for another test drive, only up to the speed the vibration happened at.

Return to base again, crawl under and tighten the 4 bolts a little at a time, evenly - don't go for the "wind the first all the way in then do the same with the others" method. It's likely to shift the bracket from where it has settled in a vibraion free position.

Confirm the adjustment after with another test drive. If all is good, increase the speed to normal speeds and check it remains vibration free.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 16th, 2019, 08:07   #7
omc 47
VOC Member

Dave you really are a mind of information, I regularly read some of your posts and get some comfort from the fact that you are out there with a few others ready to help us.
I have recently decided to retire one of my Wentworths and keep it for spares, it's the regular green colour with grey leather interior. My other one is maroon with tan leather and a much rarer option when produced together with 7 seats oh! and wrinkled cards but hey ho lifes never perfect.
I 've recently been tempted to looking at a really low mileage 97 850 GLT but upon reading some of the negatives and being of late 1940's vintage my self I've asked the question "do l really want to change horses"? when I'm now quite profficient with 940's after many years of loyalty on both sides.

I don't think so......................Best Wishes Andy
omc 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to omc 47 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 16th, 2019, 11:37   #8
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Glad you find my posts useful Andy!

With the 850, S90 etc i've always fought shy of them as they (in my mind at least) are conversions to FWD from a well-proven RWD design. I appreciate the 850 was a "new" model but i think it was a ploy on Volvos part to gently convert their buying public to FWD before dropping the RWD 9xx range.

I'm not saying conversions don't work, just that years of fine tuning have gone into well proven models like the 7/9xx range. Something BL did right with the Triumph Toldeo/Dolomite ranges, both cars designed separately, one as FWD, the other as RWD but shared so much that to save costs, BL used the same floorpan and fitted both sets of mounting points to each!
Sounds fantastical but it worked.

Thing is, it's not a common thing, most cars are either RWD or FWD and never the twian shall meet!

The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: