Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Really Have Had Enough Now!

Views : 2124

Replies : 24

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 9th, 2011, 14:05   #1
Vimto

Default Really Have Had Enough Now!

A brimmed tank reading fifteen gallons returns to the reserve mark and reserve light comes on after 216 miles!

God knows what the reserve on a 1996 850 S Auto Estate is.

Bonkers!

No Blackpool Illuminations on the dashboard for one month and then when I came home last night I park up and switch off the ignition and I check the oil on the dipstick, check the power steering and auto box levels, check the brake fluid level (all fine) and fill the washer bottle up. Check battery connections and a few electrical connections under the bonnet to see they are still connected.

This morning I switch on the ignition and the Lambda light come on! And it won't go off.

I really have had enough now.

A desperate vehicle that is nothing but trouble.

It's beyond me why a car has to be so complicated.

Volvo should have stopped making changes after the 240.

No one can persuade me this car is worth keeping.

It's going and I'm going to get a Merc diesel estate.

The Lambda is nothing to do with the ridiculous fuel consumption. And that's on economy.

So where does the petrol go? It's not leaking petrol.

I can't even be bothered to do the calculation but I reckon I get no better than an average of fifteen miles to the gallon.

Pointless!
Vimto is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vimto For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 9th, 2011, 14:43   #2
deathrider311271
I've Been Banned

hi vimto

unfortunatly the lambda does have a lot to do with fuel economy as it reads certain things so the ECU adjusts the amount of fuel going in, i have had the same problem with mine got about the same mileage as you. Hopefully i have found the problem, air getting past the injectors. i have managed to get another set of injectors with new o rings just fitted these will be fitted on wednesday.

Its worth a look mate for a vacume leak

simon
deathrider311271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9th, 2011, 15:06   #3
Andy Northface
Where's that 18mm socket?

I've had those days as well,no matter how much money you spend on your car you always find something else to spend more money on!
Andy Northface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9th, 2011, 15:12   #4
yoda960
Volvo 960

15mpg = a problem somewhere, get it sorted and i'm sure your fuel economy will be restored. Don't bother with the Merc, it will be a pile of rust in a few years
yoda960 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to yoda960 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 9th, 2011, 15:40   #5
ewanc0
VOC Member

I had consumption similar to yours with lambda on. I renewed the sensor and put in new injectors and my consumption nearly doubled
Old Apr 9th, 2011, 17:28   #6
The Hooded Claw
Owner Volvovehiclesclub

Location: Choosing which Volvo to go out in Today !!! lex parsimoniae

Wot Ewan & Simon said .... New Sensor & Injectors & yer sorted .....

BELIEVE ME DO NOT buy a Mrec (I've had "Several") you think a Volvo is expensive to repair !!??? ..You aint seen nothing til you've had an ECU **** up or a leaking Injector on a Diesel Merc....

DO NOT go down the Mrec route .... (Personally I'd rather drive a Fiat Multipla that a Diesel Merc) .....

Trouble with a VERY BIG Capital "T" ....
1994 960 CD 3.0 Estate ("The Purple Monster")
VOC 25900 lex parsimoniae
The Hooded Claw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9th, 2011, 18:12   #7
Vimto

I haven't had any problems with the Lambda light until I switched on the ignition this morning.

At that point the mileage read 210. I ran around town doing my gardening jobs and the petrol reserve light started to come on and then stayed on.

When I got home the mileage read 216.

So the Lambda warning light was already on before the disasterous petrol consumption was fully revealed.

Once the fuel gets below five gallons the gauge seems to have a mind of its own.

Monday night I went from Bedford to Brampton to Stamford to Peterborough to Bedford. This was 101 miles. When I set off the gauge read ten gallons. When I got back it read five gallons. I thought "I can just about live with that".

From five to two gallons was miliseconds and then, in a knat's breath I'm on reserve!

If the Lambda is telling me about the fuel burn wouldn't it have come on earlier. And, why has it not been on since the codes were cleared when I had the MOT on 1st March?

(this is a rhetorical question - I don't expect you guys to be answering it).

It came on originally in December when I cleaned under the car with the jetwash lance.

Anyway, I should have known something was going to light up when I saw the Mayor of Blackpool, that woman from Bucks Fizz and the Town Crier on our carpark. And I live in Bedford.

Thank you to you all for the advice.

I'm on the case.
Old Apr 9th, 2011, 18:35   #8
deathrider311271
I've Been Banned

If the Lambda is telling me about the fuel burn wouldn't it have come on earlier. And, why has it not been on since the codes were cleared when I had the MOT on 1st March?

the simple answer is no, if the lambda is right on the limit of its peramiters it will keep the light off, its only when it goes out of these peramiters for a set period of time it lights the dash up
deathrider311271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9th, 2011, 22:43   #9
DSK
C70 T5

My 02 sensors went out of the blue its the way they can and do fail

2000 C70 T5 GT Coupe
1998 S70R / 1995 Toyota Supra Twin Turbo
2007 Mercedes CLS 320 CDI / 2011 Mercedes S350 Bluetec
2007 Suzuki GSXR-1000
DSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9th, 2011, 23:03   #10
Vimto

Thank you everybody. It's very kind of you.

Here I am again asking more questions.

So, what will five injectors and one sensor (or is it two sensors) cost me for the 2.5 engine on a 1996 Volvo 2.5 S Auto estate?

Ball park figures will do.

And where can I drive to that is near Bedford to get them?

I'm going to look on ebay and on here.

I'll get new and we'll see if I can be turned around in my estimation of Volvo.

I've always prided myself on the way I've never paid more than £500.00 for a car and fixed it up myself.

I just wasn't expecting more outlay so soon.

I mean, a car for £375.00 shouldn't need much doing should it?

I'm such a cheapskate.

Imagine the fix works and I get more miles per gallon!

I'll be in car heaven.