Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Managment lights again sorry!

Views : 800

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 16:14   #1
supatim

I have a V40 T4 phase 2 2000
I read several messages about the lights, but has anyone every had this?
The managment light comes on, then the dsa light comes on (can't switch off) then to cap it all off when i copme to stop and turn off the engin the fan cuts in after couple off mins, the only way to stop this is by restarting the car and all lights go out, turn the car off and hey presto the fan doesn't come in, when this happens the car seems difficult to start as if there is a fuel shortage and seems to 'pick up' with a nasty metalic sound......
Any ideas
Old Jan 5th, 2006, 05:24   #2
ht.engineer

Supatim.
You've probably read a thread; S40 sometimes starter...sometimes not. I posted the question ~ a month ago but have had no replys.
Now that I've read your problem back in April and again more recently, the symptoms are very simmilar to one another, except mine doesn't have any trouble with the DSA light. I'm sure the root cause is the same.
Yesterday I've had the fault codes read again; the codes semed to point to the crankcase sensor (RPM sensor), or it's setting. We checked it out and found it was slightly damaged so we've ordered a new one....coming tomorrow.
Also; I needed to put the damaged one back in so that i could use the car. When we tried to start the car after this, the car initially wouldn't start....fan came on...disconnected the battery....fan off....car started ok, but it made a very peculiar metallic sound during starting (same as yours?). My friend says this was the stainless cover for the RPM sensor rattling against something, but I'm not so sure. In the short time since we put the damaged one back in after a little tidy up, the car has started ok.
Anyway, tomorrow I'll let you know how we get on with the new sensor.
Regards.
ht.engineer
2002 S40 1.6S
Old Jan 5th, 2006, 17:04   #3
ht.engineer

Well....I'm far from convinced.
Car seems to start better. Starts first time more frequently, but the engine management light is still on which is disappointing.
Cost was £37.50, fitting £ zero, takes about 10 min.
This thing's driving me nuts.
Old Jan 6th, 2006, 19:04   #4
ht.engineer

Supatim.
My understanding of your problem has become clearer through a greater understanding of my own. See S40 sometimes starter....sometimes not.
Your car is only not starting properly because the engine management system has recognised a fault in the DSA system. Once the fault in the DSA system is rectified then the car should start ok. Try following the handbook instructions for switching off the DSA system, and see if you car starts and drives ok for a while.
The hand book seems to suggest that their may be problems with the DSA system if the wheels/tyres are not same size?
Hope this helps.
ht.engineer