Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 140/164 Series General

Notices

140/164 Series General Forum for the Volvo 140 and 164 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Help required for my V5 Application Form

Views : 670

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 15th, 2019, 12:01   #1
swedishandgerman
Premier Member

Default Help required for my V5 Application Form

140 owners here in the UK, please could I ask for a little help regarding what's on your registration documents?

Please could you confirm that in the box, "VIN/Chassis/Frame No." it just says a 6 digit chassis number and DOES NOT include the 7 digit type number?

Please could I ask you to look up on your V5's and let me know what it says?

On my Amazon and my P1800, it's just the chassis numbers on the V5's and not the type number too. John Hughes has also kindly told me his V5 is just the chassis number on his 144S.

I need as much information as possible to give to the DVLA that it's just the chassis number that goes in that box and not the type number too.

The DVLA have rejected my application to get my Finnish 142 based on what's written in that box. I appreciate that the tag on the windscreen pillar states 1421342-******, but all the other accompanying documentation I have for the car just says the 6 digit, so it's going to be a lot more time if I have to go and get all that changed.
1970 Amazon 2-Door
1970 142DL

Last edited by swedishandgerman; Jan 15th, 2019 at 12:44.
swedishandgerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15th, 2019, 12:50   #2
Triple-S
How Old?

As you know I have several 140s and 164s, all sharing the same VIN format as yours down the door pillar, ie model/exact variant/chassis number. However, none of my current cars have any more than the chassis six-digits on the V5 - my 144 V5 is right next to me so easily checked. I do seem to recall my next project 164 has the full number on the V5 but can't check as its at my sons place: perhaps it now costs the DVLA per digit now!?
Surely you don't need to tell the DVLA how to do their clerical job, but my query - what was on the Finnish paperwork which has proved to be the stumbling block with them?

P
Triple-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15th, 2019, 13:12   #3
swedishandgerman
Premier Member

Thank you very much for your speedy reply which is extremely helpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple-S View Post
Surely you don't need to tell the DVLA how to do their clerical job, but my query - what was on the Finnish paperwork which has proved to be the stumbling block with them?
Therein is theproblem: the Finnish registration document I do not have. On the sale of the car a Deed of Sale is produce by TraFi (Finnish version of DVLA). On that one it states the full number. That's not helpful!!

Separately, the DVLA has requested me to provide a signed letter from Volvo UK to confirm the car's details. I already had a load of information from Volvo Museum Vehicle Archives. I've spoken to an extremely helpful guy at Volvo Customer Relations who is in the process of arranging that for me.
1970 Amazon 2-Door
1970 142DL
swedishandgerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15th, 2019, 15:04   #4
Triple-S
How Old?

OK - understood, hope it comes through OK for you eventually.
As an aside, a guy I know had his 144 mis-identified by the MoT-tester, who quoted the BODY number from that silly plate on the inner front wing. This meant a notification by the DVLA to take his car to a divisional DVLA place to get them to confirm its VIN number as stamped into the drivers-door frame (all at his cost). It cost him a days pay plus nearly 200 miles-worth of fuel - just for them to glance at the proper VIN and confirm things. However, as they already had the correct numbers from the V5 and lots of previous MoTs, surely they have the capability of looking at their records? Obviously not, so be sure it doesn't happen with your car.

P
Triple-S is offline   Reply With Quote