Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 140/164 Series General

Notices

140/164 Series General Forum for the Volvo 140 and 164 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Introducing my 142

Views : 1914

Replies : 18

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 1st, 2019, 04:38   #11
photosupra

Good to hear! Location is fine in UK I was planning to go there. Is it possible to email you? I don't think I have access using the forum profile contact system since I am still a new member. I can give you some details on what I was thinking!
photosupra is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to photosupra For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 7th, 2019, 09:25   #12
swedishandgerman
Premier Member

Well let's keep in touch.

Now that all the documentation has arrived, over the next few weeks all the work is being executed on the old car.
1970 Amazon 2-Door
1970 142DL
swedishandgerman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to swedishandgerman For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 14th, 2019, 22:17   #13
swedishandgerman
Premier Member

I've FINALLY made time to make a start on proper work on this car. I would like to get it up and running for Swedish Day in a few weeks.

We collected the car on a trailer and took it up to my friend's workshop located in the middle of nowhere down here in Devon.

Up on the ramp, we had a good look around, poking here and there finding nothing more than the hole under the driver's seat that I already knew about. Apart from the non-working horn, sorting out a couple little electrical issues and other things including rhd headlights, the main job in hand was dealing with brakes. So we went about getting the wheels off to find, with no surprise the calipers seized and perished rubber. As well, the servo is hissing and I'm going to change all the brake lines. Brake back plates too need to be replaced.

Sadly though, we came across what is probably the reason the car was laid up all those years ago and it's a very weird one seeing as the rest of the car is pretty solid: the subframe is completely rusted around the spring housing. Like, completely rusted.

Seeing as you're not allowed to weld suspension components - I'm sure you could get away with it is it wasn't so bad - the only option is to remove the whole lot and replace it!

I doubt at this stage I'll be taking this one to Swedish Day!

Anyway, I got straight on the phone to our man Triple-S who reckons he's got one down the road near Chichester...
1970 Amazon 2-Door
1970 142DL
Old Apr 15th, 2019, 23:31   #14
Dibble
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swedishandgerman View Post
I've FINALLY made time to make a start on proper work on this car. I would like to get it up and running for Swedish Day in a few weeks.

We collected the car on a trailer and took it up to my friend's workshop located in the middle of nowhere down here in Devon.

Up on the ramp, we had a good look around, poking here and there finding nothing more than the hole under the driver's seat that I already knew about. Apart from the non-working horn, sorting out a couple little electrical issues and other things including rhd headlights, the main job in hand was dealing with brakes. So we went about getting the wheels off to find, with no surprise the calipers seized and perished rubber. As well, the servo is hissing and I'm going to change all the brake lines. Brake back plates too need to be replaced.

Sadly though, we came across what is probably the reason the car was laid up all those years ago and it's a very weird one seeing as the rest of the car is pretty solid: the subframe is completely rusted around the spring housing. Like, completely rusted.

Seeing as you're not allowed to weld suspension components - I'm sure you could get away with it is it wasn't so bad - the only option is to remove the whole lot and replace it!

I doubt at this stage I'll be taking this one to Swedish Day!

Anyway, I got straight on the phone to our man Triple-S who reckons he's got one down the road near Chichester...
Hi S & G, was good to meet you at Bruntingthorpe. What a great weekend. Hope you are still looking after that Fordson Major!
Dibble is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dibble For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 25th, 2019, 12:33   #15
swedishandgerman
Premier Member

A small update here: having reached stalemate on discovering the condemned front subframe, I got in touch with a guy local to me who has a 144 that has been off the road for many years.

Its the same year as mine and I'm having the whole car. It seems very excessive seeing as I only need the front subframe, but there are other bits and bobs that I will salvage including the boot lid struts and speedo in MPH.

Once the restoration of my 142 is complete, I will then strip down the 144 and sell off the parts to contribute towards what I'm paying for the thing. It's not even covered 90,000 miles!!
1970 Amazon 2-Door
1970 142DL
Old Apr 25th, 2019, 12:50   #16
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Good news on finding the subframe attached to a complete spares car!

Will you be converting it to RHD as well seeing as you now have the bits to do that?

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25th, 2019, 13:50   #17
swedishandgerman
Premier Member

Guess what? It is already RHD!
1970 Amazon 2-Door
1970 142DL
Old Apr 25th, 2019, 14:14   #18
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swedishandgerman View Post
Guess what? It is already RHD!
'Twas the foreign number plates confused me!

I know one photo shows the interior but i'd somehow got it in my head it was taken in mirror-image!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2019, 20:18   #19
Sicnarf

142 Rules! :-)
Sicnarf is offline   Reply With Quote