Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Speed limiter

Views : 8746

Replies : 237

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 20th, 2019, 23:36   #141
GMcL
0's and 1's

It'll be interesting to see the sales figures pre and post limiter. They may well kill any interest in the T8 as a halo performance model
I guess Volvo's never get tracked or taken to countries where laws are a little less Draconian.

Previous: 2005 Volvo S60 D5 Sport - 2017 Focus RS
GMcL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21st, 2019, 07:23   #142
green van man
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whippy View Post
It's going to be like buying a car designed by a nanny.

The Guardian: Volvo to install cameras in new cars to reduce road deaths.
https://www.theguardian.com/business...ce-road-deaths
Its a buyers market, if you don't like the technology don't buy it and those that fit it will either not fit it or go bust.
I know when I'm tired, I know when a cup of coffee will do the trick or I need to pull over and take a nap. I do not need technology to tell me and very much doubt I am unique.
I am also happy to drive old cars not fitted with such technology and when has motoring law been made retrospective. I remember a 1970 cortina that was visible smoke only not sniffer test at MOT time.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21st, 2019, 08:29   #143
ThomasG
Aka MadBabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by green van man View Post
Its a buyers market, if you don't like the technology don't buy it and those that fit it will either not fit it or go bust.
I know when I'm tired, I know when a cup of coffee will do the trick or I need to pull over and take a nap. I do not need technology to tell me and very much doubt I am unique.
I am also happy to drive old cars not fitted with such technology and when has motoring law been made retrospective. I remember a 1970 cortina that was visible smoke only not sniffer test at MOT time.

Paul.
Unfortunately there seems to be less if us than you think..

Majority is likely to be the ones with noses firmly embedded in mobile phones screens, paying note attention to photos of cats than to the road..

And they'll welcome any gizmo that has been described with more than 2 buzz words, no matter is it gizmo actually doing something useful or harmful.

So, what choice we may end up with in "buyers market"?

To buy a car full of these gizmos or not to buy at all..

And its not something to cone in few years either.
It is with us right now.

Have a look, is one able to buy, nowadays, something decently built (so exclude the very bottom shelf of aygos, 207s, fiestas and so on) but without let's say a big screen where the radio used to be or without headlights that driver has absolutely no control over..
ThomasG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21st, 2019, 19:31   #144
green van man
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasG View Post
Unfortunately there seems to be less if us than you think..

Majority is likely to be the ones with noses firmly embedded in mobile phones screens, paying note attention to photos of cats than to the road..

And they'll welcome any gizmo that has been described with more than 2 buzz words, no matter is it gizmo actually doing something useful or harmful.

So, what choice we may end up with in "buyers market"?

To buy a car full of these gizmos or not to buy at all..

And its not something to cone in few years either.
It is with us right now.

Have a look, is one able to buy, nowadays, something decently built (so exclude the very bottom shelf of aygos, 207s, fiestas and so on) but without let's say a big screen where the radio used to be or without headlights that driver has absolutely no control over..
But Thomas I will not buy a new volvo because it does not have a manual gearbox I have 2 cars I am happy with, why would I want to change them for irritating technology loaded new ones? I don't, so I will not.

Paul.
Old Mar 21st, 2019, 19:45   #145
Whippy
Premier Member

Quote:
But Thomas I will not buy a new volvo because it does not have a manual gearbox I have 2 cars I am happy with, why would I want to change them for irritating technology loaded new ones? I don't, so I will not.

Paul.
We've always changed cars every three years, wifey decided late last year that she wants to hold on to hers precisely for that reason, she doesn't like tech, she doesn't want tech. She wants s decent two litre diesel manual, doesn't even want satnav. Me? I'm a techies dream sell. Love it. Horses for courses.
Test drove a new Beemer last week, gesture control, cool, apparently picking your nose switches the radio off.

Last edited by Whippy; Mar 21st, 2019 at 19:47.
Whippy is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Whippy For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 21st, 2019, 20:39   #146
The Thong
VOC Member

Interesting idea

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/volvo/...ed-of-your-car
Old Mar 21st, 2019, 23:41   #147
ThomasG
Aka MadBabs

Quote:

Paul.
Well.. I don't know your age..
But I do know mine

One day I will simply be forced something that maybe isn't even advertised today.
And I want it to be a car that's controlled by ME.

In a way, I wish you the same (that is- that you will live long)

But in the sane time, with my in-breed level of optimism and faith in human kind (in a scale 0-10 it'd be somewhere around -3), I'm afraid that there will be no choice but some gizmo-loaded contraption bred by marketers instead of engineers.
Old Mar 22nd, 2019, 07:28   #148
ThomasG
Aka MadBabs

Friggin autocorrect, friggin mobile phone typing, friggin too late to edit..

"One day I'll be forced to buy something that isn't even advertised yet"
Old Mar 22nd, 2019, 07:46   #149
green van man
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasG View Post
Well.. I don't know your age..
But I do know mine

One day I will simply be forced something that maybe isn't even advertised today.
And I want it to be a car that's controlled by ME.

In a way, I wish you the same (that is- that you will live long)

But in the sane time, with my in-breed level of optimism and faith in human kind (in a scale 0-10 it'd be somewhere around -3), I'm afraid that there will be no choice but some gizmo-loaded contraption bred by marketers instead of engineers.
I take your point Thomas, I'm an old fart, however that is beside the point for the right car can be used by my descendants.
The 26 year old landrover is a mechano car, it was designed to be fixed in a field with a house brick. I am in the process of fitting a new galvanised chassis, I have a mig welder and I have the knowlage to rebuild any mechanical part that will fail. Any enthusiast with my abilities which are in no way unique will be able to keep that car running for ever. A far easier job than trying to make sensors compatable with obsolete systems.
The only electronic bit on my car is the central locking module and a work around useing mechanical relays is already on the drawing board.

We have to be grateful to those whom change their car frequently for the jobs it produces, designed obsolescence has been with us a long time, however sometimes someone cocksup and designs a car that can be fixed. If you care not about new such cars are a godsend and are often disregarded by those whom do not know their true worth.

Paul.
Old Mar 22nd, 2019, 12:41   #150
Spike56
Master Member

ThomasG.

That post is exactly the problem. Autocorrect. In a car, can you imagine that it will not attempt to override what the driver wants to do from time to time? Are you reading the reports about the 2 aircraft that crashed because the computer is said to have put the plane into a nose dive? As yet the systems are just not fit for purpose. It is possible that anyone under the age of 15 won't notice the difference, but from my experience, most teens want to rag a car to death because they want to be in control (after years of being told what they can and can't do). Older folk want to be in control because they don't trust computers 100% yet.

We know it will likely come to be. Just not yet, I pray.

Last edited by Spike56; Mar 22nd, 2019 at 12:48.
Spike56 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Spike56 For This Useful Post: