Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 140/164 Series General

Notices

140/164 Series General Forum for the Volvo 140 and 164 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

240 seats into a 144?

Views : 4270

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 10th, 2013, 00:26   #1
kolby

Default 240 seats into a 144?

Hi guys, I picked up a lovely condition blue velour Volvo 240 SE set of front and rear seats today, for the princely sum of £4.99!
the seats are sort of in the car, loose to check how they look/fit...

however have any of you clever people ever fitted 240 front seats to a 140, and if so what technique did you use?
thinking of trying to use the 140 seat mounts fitted to the bottom of the new seats? or some sort of custom type mounts, so any idea's or previous experience very much welcome!
Cheers
Dan
kolby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10th, 2013, 10:04   #2
john h
VOC Member

Not as easy as you would think, because compared with the 144, the 240 has a different seat mount cross-member above the floor.

If you're lucky, you might find that the 144 seat mountings/sliders could be fitted/welded to the 240 seat frames.

That is basically the technique I used to fit Alfa seats to my 245

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showth...159425&page=31

John

john h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10th, 2013, 20:21   #3
Audrey Old
VOC Member

Default 240 seats into 140

I did this years ago, into my 142, but I'm not very tall so the loss of height didn't concern me. The biggest problem was the resultant lack of clearance between the steering wheel and my thighs, and I'm not fat!

From memory, with a bit of hole slotting the 240 squab did fit the 140 base (necessary this way round as I didn't want to muck around with the floor fitment). However, another consideration - 240 seat adjustment is exactly the same place as the 140 handbreak lever.... Therefore I never adjusted mine after it was set.

Conclusion: as John said, it can be done but there are lots of restrictions and limitations unless severe seat re-manufacture is considered. I did it cos i hated the original vinyl ones and I had both available - a sort of investigation project one winter.

Paul
Audrey Old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10th, 2013, 21:18   #4
kolby

yep the seats are pretty knackered, and re-upholstering would be way over my budget, if the seat recline controls interfere with the handbrake, maybe swap the drivers/passenger seats around and have knobs on the inside?

I've got the rear bench swapped over and the hangers/brackets marked up on the 240 rear back section ready to fit, the blue velour certainly suits the car and doesn't at all look out of place in my eyes anyway!

also looking at getting a mountney steering wheel and boss kit, so should have a little more clearance leg-wise with that aswell!
Cheers for the advice chaps!
Old Dec 8th, 2013, 16:47   #5
Volvorama
Too many cats

Default Diy

I have GLT seats in my Californian 144. Had to make brackets for both front and rear mountings of front seat. 240 seat now sits on the cross member with rubber sheet in between. Used steel angle and strip 4mm as I recall. Did not have to cut or weld the 240 seat, just bent the one bracket at the back. Thus it can go back in a 240 if needs be.
Height is fine. Handbrake does not interfere with backrest adjuster. Could be a struggle to fit inertia reel seatbelts though as my car is a '69 where the reel does not go inside the sill. Original belts are fine anyway.

Last edited by Volvorama; Dec 8th, 2013 at 16:52.
Volvorama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19th, 2014, 21:22   #6
kolby

So we've got the seats in the 144, they look cool, but as previous clever people said, mounting the 240 seats on the 140 rails makes them sit a bit high,

so we will try and re-engineer again some point soon! here are a couple slightly rubbish pics, and of the new mountney wood rim and astrali boss kit:

Dan
Old Jan 19th, 2014, 22:31   #7
john h
VOC Member

The seats look very good condition. It will be possible to mount them lower, by cutting off the lower parts of the 244 frames and welding on 144 mounts instead

John

john h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th, 2014, 20:14   #8
Derek UK
VOC Member

The rear tabs look as if they can be cut down about an inch and a half, don't know if that's enough. With the front, would you be able to drill right through the tube and make an adjuster out of a threaded rod?
Derek UK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th, 2014, 21:09   #9
kolby

not sure as the base rests on the centre box section I think, got a couple things to try, maybe welding the black mounting bit on to the 240 runners, but will have to have the seats out again and measure up to see if it makes it lower,

got a couple things to try, the passenger seat is lower than the drivers, as the drivers has the tilt adjustment and stuff which made fitting a bit more tricky, will get some better photo's up soon.

the seats are very good nick came from a 1991 60k mile 240 SE estate apparently, cost me £4.99, also came with full blue carpet, estate rear board and 7 seat conversion if anyone wants that let me know!.
Dan
Old Jan 25th, 2014, 21:18   #10
kolby

Did some re-jigging of the seats today (especially the drivers) and have an inch or so extra clearance between the seat and steering wheel, will get some picks of the seats in their velour glory when I get a chance.

Dan