Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 140/164 Series General

Notices

140/164 Series General Forum for the Volvo 140 and 164 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Changed Distributor now timing fluctuates

Views : 1010

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 20th, 2019, 04:49   #1
lelshaddai

Default Changed Distributor now timing fluctuates

I received the new 099 distributor for a B20B engine to replace the wrong dizzy. Cleaned it up, oiled the shaft area. new points, cap rotor. Started right up. I have the Dwell at 59 so I am good there. Problem is the the timing is fluctuating. I will set it at 12 and it will dropped down to 0 on its own. I will then set is back to 12 at it will race to 25. Does this indicate a breaker plate problem? It was holding timing at first and them I needed to adjust the points. When I go to loosen the points screw the plate pops a little. Also is does this distributor need the vacuum hooked up after the timing is correct?
lelshaddai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th, 2019, 15:15   #2
mocambique-amazone
Master Member

This doesn't look fine, sorry.
Check the return springs of the advance system. One maybe broken or disconnected.
Without cap turn the rotor gently clockwise, you will feel a resistance by the spring system.
The rotor should come back full by the springs. Sometimes the PO forgot to lube the shaft where the rotor is on. You will see a felt. This felt should be soaked with engine oil. If the felt is dry or missing oil the shaft with very thin oil (WD40 and better)

The vacuum is a advance system and the engine will run better if connected to the right port at the carb. Do you still have the Weber or did you swap to 2xSU?
Good luck, Kay
mocambique-amazone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th, 2019, 16:16   #3
lelshaddai

I still have the Weber. It has a good port. The other distributor did not use vacuum advance. I noticed that the screw that holds the points in place is longer, different than original, and would extend below the plate. Would this make contact ? There is also a small adjustment wheel on the side. What is that for? All the manuals I have are for the B18 so I am flying a bit blind here. Does anyone have a digital greenbook on this distributor? I will remove it today and break it down and lube it up. I squirted oil down the shaft before placing in the car. At first it held the timing and then as I was adjusting points the plate would pop or turn as I tried to loosen the points screw. I am getting closer, at least the car starts now.
Old Jan 20th, 2019, 19:17   #4
mocambique-amazone
Master Member

The screw too long for the points get in contact with the centrifugal system, maybe.
I have no dizzy in my hands to check this.
In the past there was a problem on one dizzy. The screw to hold the condensator, mounted from the side, was way too long and destroyed the flyweight system totally. A mess.
Please remove the screw for the points and have a closer look with a torch light. Turn the shaft and there is a possibility to get in contact with parts of the centrifugal/flyweight system.

The port on the Weber is above the butterfly with no vacuum at idle/ closed butterfly?
Perfect ;-)

Good luck, Kay

Sorry no green book for this dizzy in my documents
Old Jan 20th, 2019, 22:10   #5
Derek UK
VOC Member

I have seen mention recently of this screw being too long and interfering with the weights. Not sure if it was on this forum. It's a fairly short screw as it just needs to hold the points to the plate. I don't think there is normally more than a maximum of a couple of threads showing below the plate.
You could compare the length to the one in the dizzy you have taken off and if shorter use that if it fits OK.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21st, 2019, 10:48   #6
swedishandgerman
Premier Member

As well, check the vacuum can as follows:

Apply some vacuum - you could suck it with your mouth - and you should have some resistance.
If there is no resistance, the vacuum can has perforated; you will be able to suck and suck and suck!
If it has perforated so badly, it is possible that there is zero resistance allowing the points base to flop about badly causing the timing to go about the place.

I've frequently seen this on aircooled VW which has a similar distributor.

Also whilst sucking with the distributor cap removed, you should see movement in the points base.

My advice on a 099 distributor, by the way, is to leave the thing disconnected. It is a vacuum retard system and gives zero improvement to performance and efficiency. It's just there to retard the timing when there is massive vacuum in the chamber like quick throttle close (changing gear) and going down hill; the retard helps burn the gases in the chamber so it doesn't go straight out the exhaust. However, even if you are leaving this disconnected, the vacuum can still needs to be in good shape otherwise it will flop about!
1970 Amazon 2-Door
1970 142DL

Last edited by swedishandgerman; Jan 21st, 2019 at 10:55.
swedishandgerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21st, 2019, 13:12   #7
mocambique-amazone
Master Member

if you are right swedishandgerman I'm wrong.
Too far away from my documents and the workshop in this moment for bad luck.
If it is retard, don't use the vacuum part, I'm with sag.

On thursday I will be at my home again and check my datas.

good luck, Kay

quick research at the www and vacuum seems to be a redart system. Don't use it.

thank you sag

Last edited by mocambique-amazone; Jan 21st, 2019 at 13:24.
Old Jan 21st, 2019, 17:07   #8
swedishandgerman
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mocambique-amazone View Post
if you are right swedishandgerman I'm wrong.
No, no! I reckon the weights have gone too! I reckon you're correct there. It's just I'm saying it's another thing that should definitely be checked if you see what I mean. Another thing to check!
1970 Amazon 2-Door
1970 142DL
swedishandgerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21st, 2019, 18:12   #9
lelshaddai

Thank you for all the information. I am going to check the length of the screw and it that does not help take her apart to look at the weights.
Old Feb 4th, 2019, 16:16   #10
mocambique-amazone
Master Member

Did you find a fault?

have a nice day, Kay