Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General > 700/900 Series Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

1988 760 turbo intercooler manual 100k

Views : 7178

Replies : 70

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 29th, 2013, 15:00   #1
lixah
Master Member

Default 1988 760 turbo intercooler manual 100k

Ok so you may have seen my older thread, decided to rewrite it and tidy things up, and have pretty much decided i can't afford to keep the car, and i don't have the space currently.

So it's a 1988 760 turbo intercooler, manual 4 speed transmission with working overdrive. The car has just recently hit 100k so there should be plenty of life left in the car. it has grey interior all in pretty decent condition.
Electric/heated seats working perfectly, (at least driver's works perfectly, still very hot too! im not too sure about the passengers)
Since getting the car i installed a kenwood head unit, which has mp3 connectivity, DAB radio, etc, all that good stuff, and also installed 2 genuine speakers in the rear doors, (from a 940)
The car has just recently had a new ignition coil, HT leads, plugs, alternator. This was done by the previous owner, as the car was entered into some kind of charity even, where it was drive to holland and back, im told the car drove perfectly, and didnt miss a beat.
The car was also vinyl wrapped for the event, i removed this, it has left some residue around the car, i've not yet tried to clean it off, but i tested 1 spot and it seemed to come off relatively easily with just water.
this car is old, and there is some lacquer peel, particually noticeable on the mirrors, and on the drivers side arches (it looks like a repair/respray, some of it peeled off when i removed the vinyl)
Overall the car is in remarkable condition, even the headlight wipers work (both) as does the electric aerial.
I have driven the car for the past few months, and have never had any problems.
There are a couple of things that are annoying though; the sunroof has been sealed shut (not done by me, i assume it stopped working at some point and was just sealed for ease/price) it does not leak at all however. and the headlining was removed by the previous owner; i imagine it was sagging, and he also painted it blue. and lastly the horn does not work, now im not sure exactly why, i checked both horns, and they sound, at a guess its probably the clock spring, but i have never bothered to open the steering wheel, it never really bothered me, however i think it will need doing for the MOT.
The body is also in good condition, i couldn't see any exterior rust, only some small bubbles on the sunroof panel.

The car has just run out of MOT, and this combined with me getting a new job that requires a lot of driving, made me think I need something more economical, as you probably know the b230et is strong, but not very economical. So it only made sense to get something more MPG friendly. To be honest i think it should only need horn doing and possibly exhaust (its a bit loud, but ive never gone under the car to look)
The car is currently sorn, as it's off the road. I would definitely keep this car as a project, as its already in very good condition in my opinion, for the year, and a rare car to find now a days. But i really don't have anywhere to put it, situations/plans change and it forces a sale.

Any viewing is welcome, i'd much prefer it to go to someone on the forum, rather than the second choice of putting it back up on fleabay. But if it doesnt sell, that's where its going.

Price is £600 ONO, viewing is welcome, the car is in Tamworth, Staffordshire (B775AZ)
however I am only willing to allow test drives up the road, since its TAX/MOT situation.

I don't think i've missed anything out, but if i have don't hesitate to ask!

-Matt

edit: also forgot to mention the car is climate controlled, and even the A/C still works!

Last edited by lixah; Apr 29th, 2013 at 15:13.
lixah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29th, 2013, 15:17   #2
lixah
Master Member

I also have some hydra alloys that are in decent condition, i was going to recondition them and use them on the car, but obviously never got around to it, they will need new tyres but are in ok condition. would sell cheap with the car. can get pics soon/if required
Old Apr 30th, 2013, 20:13   #3
lixah
Master Member

gonna give this 1 more day, then shes going on the bay. No interest?
Old Apr 30th, 2013, 22:15   #4
minesa240x3
loyalty

As pointed out in another post these cars are for avid collectors really,If all someone wants is a 2.3L turbo then later 940's are still plentiful and relatively cheap.
They are becoming thin on the ground but as I said only collectors would truly want to save these cars.
I would love to own one myself but considering I would want to run it as a classic I would be wanting it pristine and original.Although your lovely car isn't to bad it would cost a fair bit to get it to a show standard which means it would need to be cheap to buy.

I really wish you well with selling it to an enthusiast.

Regards Brian.
minesa240x3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to minesa240x3 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 30th, 2013, 22:38   #5
lixah
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by minesa240x3 View Post
As pointed out in another post these cars are for avid collectors really,If all someone wants is a 2.3L turbo then later 940's are still plentiful and relatively cheap.
They are becoming thin on the ground but as I said only collectors would truly want to save these cars.
I would love to own one myself but considering I would want to run it as a classic I would be wanting it pristine and original.Although your lovely car isn't to bad it would cost a fair bit to get it to a show standard which means it would need to be cheap to buy.

I really wish you well with selling it to an enthusiast.

Regards Brian.
tell you the truth i know what you mean. but then again i don't think it's really too expensive, even for a daily driver its in sound condition for that, and is £600 too expensive for that? even on the bay they seem to go for this much, and this is one of the few with this spec, and mileage ive seen; let alone it being in decent condition too. I think its the MOT that may be putting people off, i may just have to get the horn sorted and put it through another MOT to prove its actually in pretty good condition.

just for my information, does anyone know how much it'd cost to get a shop to sort out (say they have to replace the clock spring)
I've never fancied the idea of messing around with the steering wheel; fear of having an explosion go off in my face isn't the nicest.
The Following User Says Thank You to lixah For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 30th, 2013, 22:50   #6
AndyPants
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lixah View Post
just for my information, does anyone know how much it'd cost to get a shop to sort out (say they have to replace the clock spring)
I've never fancied the idea of messing around with the steering wheel; fear of having an explosion go off in my face isn't the nicest.
Looking at your pics, you've got the same steering wheel as my old 760. I'm pretty confident that it won't have an airbag inside* (960 and later cars have much fatter wheels and I believe the airbag was optional on 760s of this era). Even if it does I believe the standard practice is to leave off the battery for 30 mins or so to 'disarm' it*

* I take no responsibility if I am wrong! But I'm sure its fine.
The Following User Says Thank You to AndyPants For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 30th, 2013, 22:58   #7
lixah
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyPants View Post
Looking at your pics, you've got the same steering wheel as my old 760. I'm pretty confident that it won't have an airbag inside* (960 and later cars have much fatter wheels and I believe the airbag was optional on 760s of this era). Even if it does I believe the standard practice is to leave off the battery for 30 mins or so to 'disarm' it*

* I take no responsibility if I am wrong! But I'm sure its fine.
ok, might take a look at it then, im hoping i can just clean up some connections or something to get it working, also how exactly do i open the steering wheel? had a quick look a long time ago, seem to remember not finding any mounting screws on the back.

and any ideas of what the horn problem might be if i dont find anything inside the steering wheel?

Last edited by lixah; Apr 30th, 2013 at 23:03.
Old Apr 30th, 2013, 23:52   #8
AndyPants
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lixah View Post
ok, might take a look at it then, im hoping i can just clean up some connections or something to get it working, also how exactly do i open the steering wheel? had a quick look a long time ago, seem to remember not finding any mounting screws on the back.

and any ideas of what the horn problem might be if i dont find anything inside the steering wheel?
I'm afraid I never tried opening my steering wheel, I suspect the middle part is clipped on but this is only a guess.

Presuming your 760 is like my old one, then the horn is in one of the crappest places possible - just infront of the front passenger wheel where all the road salt and other crap gets thrown up. One of mine actually fell off it was that rusty and even though I replaced it, I doubt the new one was gonna last that long either. You say you've checked the horns, might be worth checking the connections and ensuring there clean etc... if you haven't already.

If it is the contact in the steering wheel then maybe you might get lucky with a bit of electrical contact cleaner Good luck!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AndyPants For This Useful Post:
Old May 1st, 2013, 00:10   #9
lixah
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyPants View Post
I'm afraid I never tried opening my steering wheel, I suspect the middle part is clipped on but this is only a guess.

Presuming your 760 is like my old one, then the horn is in one of the crappest places possible - just infront of the front passenger wheel where all the road salt and other crap gets thrown up. One of mine actually fell off it was that rusty and even though I replaced it, I doubt the new one was gonna last that long either. You say you've checked the horns, might be worth checking the connections and ensuring there clean etc... if you haven't already.

If it is the contact in the steering wheel then maybe you might get lucky with a bit of electrical contact cleaner Good luck!
yes i know what you mean, they're right down the bottom in a terrible spot!

but surprisingly both horns were in decent condition (much much better than my 92 940 actually:P ) and i did try cleaning those connections, both units work; very good infact, but checking with a multimeter those 2 connections, nothing is happening when the horn is pressed, so i guess its a fault in the circuit somewhere
The Following User Says Thank You to lixah For This Useful Post:
Old May 5th, 2013, 01:12   #10
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Have you tried the horn fuse?

Also the contacts might just be suffering lack of use and several good wiggly-pushes of the horn buttons might have it working again.

Assuming they're the original disc type horns, probably worth cleaning up the earth and feed connections and spraying WD40 on the discs (the horn discs, NOT the brake discs!). Could even be worth feeding each horn independently using a wire direct from each battery terminal to make sure they do work separately. It's possible they just need "reminding" what they're on the car for if you know what i mean.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: