Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Tablet interface - reversing camera/satnav etc

Views : 1249

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 13th, 2018, 08:50   #1
bigstick

Default Tablet interface - reversing camera/satnav etc

New member here, new poster, new Volvo driver with perhaps a stupid question! I can't find any similar questions, so apologies if this is duplicated in some measure somewhere.

I have just bought a used 2012 XC90. It has no satnav or reversing camera. I'm wondering whether it might be possible to retrofit something which uses a tablet/phablet, whether it's a cheap Android or an iPhone/iPad.

This would mean that not only could I have these things, but also a much better music interface for the audio player. In effect it's upgrading the old XC90 to have Apple CarPlay or Android Auto.

You can buy reversing camera modules, and you can buy wireless reversing camera kits. Most phones have a navigation function, and they have wifi/bluetooth. This seems a better (easier) solution than running wires inside the car.

The standard RTI unit looks really neat, but I've read that the Volvo satnav is really awful.

I've read that the RTI unit can be retrofitted, as can the reversing camera, but these look complicated.

I'm guessing that under the panel where the RTI unit goes, there is a power supply that can be connected to a device that has bluetooth/wifi.

An RTI housing would be a good start for this. It doesn't need to move up and down - it could be fixed, it just needs to provide a neat mounting for the screen and a concealed cable route.

Anyone got any ideas?
bigstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2018, 10:59   #2
Moose Test
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstick View Post
The standard RTI unit looks really neat, but I've read that the Volvo satnav is really awful.
I think that's a matter of opinion. Sure, it has a few foibles and it's not the best implementation ever by any manufacturer. But that said, *I* find it functional enough to justify paying for the update discs when they become available rather that sticking my phone to the screen. It isn't perfect but it isn't 'really awful'.

Quote:
I've read that the RTI unit can be retrofitted, as can the reversing camera, but these look complicated.
Having owned Volvos for 10+ years and looked into upgrading accessories for all of them at some point, I think it very unlikely that you could retrofit original Volvo RTI. It would be a considerable undertaking and you'd need a Dealer or Indie with a VIDA subscription to install the requisite software, which it is likely that they either cannot, or will refuse to do, since your vehicle's configuration is registered with Volvo as non-RTI. Then there's accessory security (MOST bus) to consider, which would prevent you from using a second hand MMM. So even if it were possible using original parts, it would be prohibitively expensive to do.

Quote:
Anyone got any ideas?
Perhaps something like this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4OMf9ewbGI
Moose Test is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3rd, 2018, 18:17   #3
bigstick

Thanks. Getting the original system retrofitted does look a bit too complicated and expensive! I don't actually want the original RTI software or screen, just the physical bits to allow me to fit my own stuff.

I can get the physical components from eBay cheaply enough. The idea of using a tablet that fits inside the housing, which can double up as a GPS satnav (the original is an old system) and a reversing camera just seemed to be logical.

I can get a wifi reversing camera like this. Alternatively I could use a Raspberry PI system, or a Garmin system like this.

The display could be a tablet which will have its own GPS navigation, whether Waze on Android, or Apple Maps on iOS. I can even get Android Auto or CarPlay on the tablet.

The advantage of the RTI unit is that I have a neat unit integrated into the dash so I don't have to either have trailing cables or a hole somewhere. It doesn't need to go up and down.

The Garmin system looks good because it has a remote wireless camera (supports up to 4 cameras) and there are lots of satnav options which link to your phone.

How big is the XC90 RTI screen display?
bigstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4th, 2018, 10:42   #4
aland

I fitted an aftermarket Android touchscreen navigation system in my XC90, full info here:
https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=278708

Past: V70 D5, 855 T5, 940, V40 T4, S40
aland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4th, 2018, 10:53   #5
owenfackrell
Premier Member

One thing for the RTI that I didn’t appreciate till recently is that the angled display is really well designed so that the light doesn’t catch it with out the need to have it buried in cowling.
owenfackrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4th, 2018, 11:35   #6
aland

Quote:
I don't actually want the original RTI software or screen, just the physical bits to allow me to fit my own stuff.

I can get the physical components from eBay cheaply enough. The idea of using a tablet that fits inside the housing, which can double up as a GPS satnav (the original is an old system) and a reversing camera just seemed to be logical.
Further to my previous post, before I fitted the Android unit, I had a pop-up screen that I fitted about 5 years ago along with an interface bought online somewhere to provide a composite video input to it, which I was using for a reverse-camera (so it came up when you engaged reverse). It would be possible to use this for navigation also from something that has composite output, but you'd still need to control it somehow as it's not touch-screen.
My screen failed eventually so I used the opportunity to upgrade to the Android unit.

If you really want to use the Volvo pop-up screen I have the interface available still

Past: V70 D5, 855 T5, 940, V40 T4, S40
aland is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
android, camera, iphone, satnav, wireless