Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 140/164 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

140/164 Series General Forum for the Volvo 140 and 164 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

68 145S new to me

Views : 798

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 2nd, 2007, 15:10   #1
Griffin74

Default 68 145S new to me

Picking this up this weekend:

she's got 343k on her, maintained by a volvo driving mechanic for most of the past 15 years here in the mountains of Colorado. B18B dual SU carbs, 4 speed.

As for the green housepaint paintjob..well that will be changed.

It's sat for the last 2 years, but it started up easily. I ordered a bunch of tune up parts from IDP last night, including their custom plug wires, motor and trans mounts, plugs and what not. Enough to get it home in one piece.

I have some questions:
what model/years swap for body parts? Are the fenders the same through the 70s?

How easy is the Bosch alternator conversion? As you can see, it has a generator ((a new one actually).

What oil do you guys like to run? It's winter time here almost, most mornings it hits about 20-30 F (sorry, not sure of the Celsius)..cold but not arctic cold).

It has fairly old and thick oil deposit on the *back* of the engine, starting high. I'm hoping it's just the valve cover leaking. But if it's a rear main seal for the crank, how hard are these to change?

What sort of electronic ignition is nice to use? I see pertronix offers a conversion, but saw a Crane and another on the IDP website, and a rather cheap one (at $40US) on Ebay..easy cold morning starts will be needed.

There is no emissions testing or requirement where I live, so figure a new straight exhaust with a quiet muffler is in the future.
Old Oct 2nd, 2007, 21:33   #2
marcmarel

Looks well maintained, everything is in place. If the starter is good it should start with a bit of choke and 15W40 (mineral). Just keep your battery healthy and the big wires and earth strap well connected.

Bad valve cover gasket and/or oil filler rubber can make a mess as the engine slopes backwards. I think the rear main seal is straightforward if necessary. If it is shot oil will leak from the bellhouse, clean the engine to get a better idea.

These fenders are used from '67 to '72, '73/4 have bigger indicators.
marcmarel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3rd, 2007, 01:50   #3
Griffin74

thank you!

I was very happy to find an engineless 69 144 AND and P1800 at the junkyard today. The doors on the 144 are in very nice condition inside and out. I assume they will fit. It also has mint bumpers front and rear. I can get all that for $100 anytime I want.

The P1800 is mangled, but it has an engine. There's a dual intake on it, but the carbs are gone. There's one steel line going to the front of the intake..I'll grab some #'s off it next time I go out.

I'm rather excited about this little wagon, think it'll be fun.
Old Oct 3rd, 2007, 08:06   #4
john h
VOC Member

I suggest you get the doors and bumpers now, to avoid the risk of them being damaged in the yard.

I like the car. It will be really nice with some TLC.

John
john h is offline   Reply With Quote