Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 140/164 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

140/164 Series General Forum for the Volvo 140 and 164 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

164 loosing power intermittently

Views : 1568

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 12th, 2007, 13:32   #11
Pigeon
Volvo-loving biker

Do NOT attempt to adjust the MPS unless you are very sure you know what you're doing. A whole lot of D-Jet problems are caused by people fiddling with this because it's the only thing you can adjust in an attempt to fudge around some other problem. You then have a car with two problems, the original fault and the screwed sensor. You may in time find and fix the original fault, but to then recalibrate the sensor is not a trivial operation.

Excellent page on D-Jet here: http://members.rennlist.com/pbanders/djetfund.htm

To me it sounds like fuel starvation or possibly a bad connection that gets worse when it heats up.

Be kind to pigeons
Pigeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12th, 2007, 18:30   #12
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister T View Post
Clan ,
I am sure you are reading this , sounds like you jumped thru the same hoops to make these cars run like they were designed to , wouldnt mind those 30 years back though , I believe Audrey Old was refering to the T switch which I have cleaned many of , the eraser on a pencil works great .
Just wondered if you or others know who were the fathers of this system , if your interested I can reveal the story .
Mister T.

my first problem car was a 1800E and the 144 GL's after it , The 164E was a revalation in the early 70's with its 175 bhp ...

yes please tell us the story ....
Old Nov 12th, 2007, 18:56   #13
john h
VOC Member

... yes, please tell...

John
john h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12th, 2007, 20:11   #14
mark164esaab

Default 164e loosing power intermittently

as I was unaware there was a filter in the tank as well as along the fuel line in the engine bay.

I was looking through the replies, and the above was one of the comments, I cant really find anything under the bonnet that looks like a fuel filter. Its raining hard here so its not a good day for working.
Also, looking at the fuel tank, on the side of the fuel tank, about 2" up from the bottom, on the same side as the exhaust tail pipe exits the car, there is an L shaped fitting welded to the tank, about 4" of fuel hose, then a round unit that I thought was a fuel pump, im wondering if this is actually the fuel filter, its a bit smaller than a can of coke, with a sort of ribbed cast aluminium end nearest the tank end, and a pipe comes out of the top of the other end and disappears up near the axle. The replacement fuel filters ive seen on the net have been smaller looking, with pipe going one end, but going out of the other end, not out of the top, so im not sure now what im looking at, on my car it has a curved sheet steel guard next to it. Any thoughts,

Many thanks,

Mark
mark164esaab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16th, 2007, 16:12   #15
B20F
Master Member

The symptoms to me are directing towards the TPS. The old style can be opened with 4 small screws so the black plastic cover can be removed. Don't remove it from the intake manifold! Than you can see 3 coppertrails on which 3 contact wipers run. Carefully clean the coppertraces with a Qtip and some contact cleaner or a pencil eraser. Or you can carefully bend the wipers so they run on an undamaged part of the copper traces. You can easily check if the TPS is faulty. Just unplug the connector to the TPS and drive it like that. The car will run okay but will be accelerating slow. IF the hesitating/blank spot is gone whilst driving it's the TPS that's faulty.
With the ignition on/engine off turn the throttle slowly by hand. You should hear 20 clicks from the injectors. Probibly 50% more clicks for a B30E as those 20 clicks are for the B20E...
You can adjust the TPS as follows if you removed it or are not sure if it's adjusted right:
Set the throttle position switch (easiest to take the cover off so you
can see the innards). Rotate so the outer wiper contacts the gap between
the large idle area at the bottom front of the board and the first narrow
trace above, then go clockwise so it just contacts the idle area. You'll
probably hear the engine smooth out and the idle speed increase. Lock it
there.

Last edited by B20F; Nov 16th, 2007 at 16:33.
B20F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16th, 2007, 20:18   #16
Pigeon
Volvo-loving biker

Quote:
Originally Posted by B20F View Post
With the ignition on/engine off turn the throttle slowly by hand. You should hear 20 clicks from the injectors. Probibly 50% more clicks for a B30E as those 20 clicks are for the B20E...
Nope, still 20 clicks, the injectors on the B30E are fired in groups of three.

Be kind to pigeons
Pigeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22nd, 2007, 05:00   #17
mark164esaab

Default 164e loosing power intermittently

Hi,

Havent posted an update yet, will have to wait for the weekend for some daylight to clean TPS and trigger points on distributor, will see how it runs after that, it smells of fuel, well I think its fuel, under the bonnet when its running, cant see any leaks though, someone at work suggested it could be the fuel hoses going to the injectors that may be perishing, its a kind of fuel/gassy smell, guess I need to spend some time on it soon, otherwise things may get out of hand.

Mark
mark164esaab is offline   Reply With Quote